BajaNomad

Nine Days In Baja

xiv015 - 8-28-2007 at 02:15 AM

I'm in the process of creating a website documenting my nine day solo trip from San Diego to Cabo and back. There's an image gallery and two days worth of trip info up already. I hope the site provides some useful insight Baja travel.

http://www.ninedaysinbaja.com

It was a fun trip that had it all: beach camping, getting pulled over in Tijuana and meeting a few really great people.

- Tom

[Edited on 8-28-2007 by xiv015]

CaboRon - 8-28-2007 at 07:07 AM

xiv015,

Welcome to the Nomad forum...

It was nice of you to introduce yourself with a trip report.

- CAboRon

bajadock - 8-28-2007 at 07:20 AM

XIV, nice report + pix thnx. Your trip was ambitious in terms of time frame & distance.
Did your girlfriend discover that her CRV had been kidnapped?
WELCOME

Bajaboy - 8-28-2007 at 07:25 AM

Hey Tom-

I like what I've read so far...it takes me back to my early adventures. I'm looking forward to the rest of your story.

Btw, you handled the cop in TJ perfectly. Thanks for sharing.

Zac

Bajagypsy - 8-28-2007 at 07:48 AM

I'm realy enjoying your trip report!!

DianaT - 8-28-2007 at 08:33 AM

Looking forward to the rest of your report---hope next time you can slow down and really enjoy more on the way down --- especially that unique desert.

One question---your comments referring to dirty hotels --- too clean for Mexico and too dirty for the US. and then the dirty one in Guerrerro Negro. From our experience, we find very resonable hotels in most places in Baja and on the Mainland and while they may be frayed around the edges, they are VERY clean???? And I am not talking about ones that cater to gringos.

Your police story is great and good for you sticking to "going to the station."

Diane and John

[Edited on 8-28-2007 by jdtrotter]

wilderone - 8-28-2007 at 08:37 AM

“I pulled you over for three reasons. You were speeding, talking on your cellphone and you have too many things in your car. "

!!! LOL!!! What a hoot - thanks for the laugh this morning.

David K - 8-28-2007 at 08:38 AM

Tom... good job buddy! You handled the policia perfectly!!! I look forward to seeing your trip report when it is completed!

bajatorres - 8-28-2007 at 09:55 AM

Thanks, brings me back to my first time............
Can't wait to hear more............:spingrin:

Bajagypsy - 8-28-2007 at 12:59 PM

“I pulled you over for three reasons. You were speeding, talking on your cellphone and you have too many things in your car. "

We were once told that we got pulled over cause our car was to dirty!!!!

We don't need no stinkin' badges!

BMG - 8-28-2007 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
We were once told that we got pulled over cause our car was to dirty!!!!

Rule #1 about dirty cars - If the cop has a bucket and a rag, then he isn't really a cop!!:P

Good Job

tortuga - 8-28-2007 at 05:41 PM

Looking forward to rest of pictures and story

Gadget - 8-28-2007 at 06:20 PM

A word smith cut from the same cloth brother. You can check out my latest run in with the corrupt cop machine if you are interested. It's posted under the heading Baja 500 07' trip report.
I can certainly relate to your account of having the anger of a shake down stick with you and how it can drag you down.
Remember this though my friend, things rapidly change as you get away from the border towns. I truely don't feel like I'm "in" Baja anymore until I'm south of San Quintin.
The natural and rugged beauty of Baja and it's people especially in the out of town and rural areas far out weighs the occasional run in with a crooked cop.
By the way, that was like reading a page out of most of our play books. You had him on the ropes immediately. What presence of mind and calmness for a newbie. :yes:

xiv015 - 8-28-2007 at 10:09 PM

Thanks for all of the positive responses. I hope the website is informing and entertaining. I'll post here as I add more of my experiences.

- Tom

Wingnut - 8-29-2007 at 04:15 PM

xiv015, great report, look forward to reading the rest. You might also put in how you set up your website to record all this. That will be interesting too. Please don't judge all of Baja by the Tijuana cop. You did exactly right especially about writing down the instructions on how to get to the police station. You might also have asked him for his name and badge number, doubt if he even knows, but that would also put him on alert that you aren't falling for his scam routine. Keep up the good work.

xiv015 - 8-30-2007 at 05:21 PM

Update:

I've updated the website to include day 3.

http://www.ninedaysinbaja.com/

Highlights include: almost dying and relaxing on the beach! To those who have replied: thanks for the great support and feedback.

- Tom

[Edited on 9-4-2007 by xiv015]

David K - 8-30-2007 at 07:10 PM

Thanks!!!:biggrin:

great

smlslikfish - 8-31-2007 at 10:54 AM

I liked the part where you decided not to stay peeed off about the cop. Only took me about 40 of my 45 years on this planet to learn that lesson!!!???

edm1 - 8-31-2007 at 10:06 PM

xiv015, the website format of your report is super!!! I wish all of us have the time to mind our html so we can follow your footsteps.

Great report!!!

Wait . . . this thread should be in the Trip Reports

[Edited on 9-1-2007 by edm1]

xiv015 - 10-16-2007 at 11:22 PM

Day 4 has been added. Cabo! Cabo! Cabo! I played around with the site's format a little. Let me know what you think. Enjoy!

- Tom

[Edited on 10-18-2007 by xiv015]

Nine Days In Baja Update

xiv015 - 10-20-2007 at 01:58 PM

I just added 3 videos from the nine days in baja trip to the home page of the website. There's also one video of my dogs in San Diego...bonus!

Thanks for all of the emails about the day 4 post. I'll try and have day 5 up soon.

- Tom

Lindalou - 10-22-2007 at 05:05 AM

I love your trip report, but how did you manage to miss Mulege?

Bob and Susan - 10-22-2007 at 05:14 AM

yea...

if you were a 1000 feet from the entrance to town...

how COULD you not visit Mulege???:lol::lol::lol:

edit:spelling again

ref:"DK-2007"

[Edited on 10-22-2007 by Bob and Susan]

xiv015 - 10-22-2007 at 03:21 PM

I stopped by Mulege on the way back. I found a great restaurant for lunch towards the back of town. I wish I had stayed overnight though. There's always next time!

- Tom

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
yea...

if you were a 1000 feet from the entrance to town...

how COULD you not visit Mulege???:lol::lol::lol:

edit:spelling again

ref:"DK-2007"

[Edited on 10-22-2007 by Bob and Susan]