BajaNomad

Panguero fishing

gringorio - 8-29-2007 at 07:02 PM

Hey Nomad’s

For those in the know I have some questions regarding the artisanal fishermen in the Sea of Cortez:

I’m wondering about the seasonality of what they fish? In other words, what is the target species in a given month (or season: summer, winder, spring, fall)?

Does the target species change depending on location/season? For example, in May in Cabo, X species is the primary target of the pangueros, but in May in Mulege Y species is…

Any insight is appreciated!

gringorio

:bounce:

BajaWarrior - 8-29-2007 at 09:17 PM

Maybe Shari will chime in, her man Juan who is an expert Panguero and diver should give you some information.

flyfishinPam - 8-30-2007 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gringorio
Hey Nomad’s

For those in the know I have some questions regarding the artisanal fishermen in the Sea of Cortez:

I’m wondering about the seasonality of what they fish? In other words, what is the target species in a given month (or season: summer, winder, spring, fall)?

Does the target species change depending on location/season? For example, in May in Cabo, X species is the primary target of the pangueros, but in May in Mulege Y species is…

Any insight is appreciated!

gringorio

:bounce:

are you referring to commercial or sport? when you say artisanal fisherman what do you mean?

a good reference is The Baja Catch by Niel Kelly and Gene Kira

bajajudy - 8-30-2007 at 12:17 PM

For this area, I would check with Eric. Explain to him what you want it for and I am sure that he would help. You can tell him that I sent you to him...the book lady, husband's name Jim.

http://www.gordobanks.com/

gringorio - 8-30-2007 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Neither commercial (In the sense of huge factory boats) or sport - I mean the lone panga with a couple Mexican fishermen who earn their living by by long-lining, gill-netting, shrimp fishing ... "Artisanal" fishery used to describe "small-scale, traditional fisheries."

I supposed a question could also be "What were the traditional panga fisheries targeting and what are they targeting now?"

I'll check into Gene Kira's book too...

:)

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam

are you referring to commercial or sport? when you say artisanal fisherman what do you mean?

a good reference is The Baja Catch by Niel Kelly and Gene Kira