BajaNomad

Loreto marina

backninedan - 8-30-2007 at 08:30 AM

An interesting day at the Loreto marina on Tuesday morning. We went down to launch late (10 am or so) for a day on the islands. We were blocked off from the marina my federales with automatic weapons and there were boats patrolling the marina entrance with more armed federales in each boat. We were told we couldn't launch right now, no explanation, just no!!

We circled the block, which is no easy job given the condition of Loreto streets now, and ran into a friend walking the malecon. He had talked to the federales and found out Carlos Slim was coming ashore from his yacht which is parked just outside the marina, and he demands total security. Maybe fear of kidnap? who knows.

After he as ashore and "safely" on his way, we were allowed to launch. Amazing what being the richest man in the world entails.

DianaT - 8-30-2007 at 08:39 AM

Wonder where he is going. We have heard lots of rumors about places in Baja in which he is interested.

Diane

backninedan - 8-30-2007 at 08:57 AM

His yacht has been moored for about a week now. Hard telling if he is onboard or not. I guess with his money you can be anywhere you want.

DENNIS - 8-30-2007 at 09:02 AM

It would be nice if he were contemplating the desalination business.

DENNIS - 8-30-2007 at 09:05 AM

Maybe not so nice, come to think of it.

capn.sharky - 8-30-2007 at 09:33 AM

Carlos Slim doesn't own a yacht---its more like a Cruise Ship. I'll bet he is coming to town to check out one of those fine houses in Loreto Bay. He is probably the only Mexican that could afford one. Maybe Bill Gates will be his neighbor. The Wallmart family could buy the apartments.:lol::lol::lol:

Diver - 8-30-2007 at 10:47 AM

This just in from NEWSmadeup.com;

It is rumoured that wealthy Mexican business man Carlos Slim is negotiating a buyout of the failing Loreto Bay project. Project failure is thought to be eminent as the sellers have identified that the local aquifer will soon fail to provide sufficient water for its buyers and grounds.
In the proposed agreement, Slim would obtain all assets of the corporation and the seller would retain all liabilities. A bankruptcy declaration by the sellers would then leave all new home buyer deposits in jeapardy. Homeowners and buyers have formed a group called "I never thought this would happen to me "

It is also rumoured that Slim has plans to re-open the project as a high-end eco-resort with saltwater showers and toilets. Fresh water will only be available in high-priced bottles.
A used landscape material sale will be held soon to make way for the dry sand "lawn" that will be a signature of the resort.
Prices will start in the $$$$$$$$$$$. Possible names for the new project include, Slim's on the Water, Slim's on the Bay, Slim on Water, .......

backninedan - 8-30-2007 at 10:50 AM

Thanks Diver, at least your have accurate sources. Much better than the made up stuff one often finds here.

Diver - 8-30-2007 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
This just in from NEWSmadeup.com;

It is rumoured that wealthy Mexican business man Carlos Slim is negotiating a buyout of the failing Loreto Bay project. Project failure is thought to be eminent as the sellers have identified that the local aquifer will soon fail to provide sufficient water for its buyers and grounds.
In the proposed agreement, Slim would obtain all assets of the corporation and the seller would retain all liabilities. A bankruptcy declaration by the sellers would then leave all new home buyer deposits in jeapardy. Homeowners and buyers have formed a group called "I never thought this would happen to me "

It is also rumoured that Slim has plans to re-open the project as a high-end eco-resort with saltwater showers and toilets. Fresh water will only be available in high-priced bottles.
A used landscape material sale will be held soon to make way for the dry sand "lawn" that will be a signature of the resort.
Prices will start in the $$$$$$$$$$$. Possible names for the new project include, Slim's on the Water, Slim's on the Bay, Slim on Water, .......

If this was actual news, I would die to hear JR's comments !! :biggrin: :lol::lol::lol:

wakemall - 8-30-2007 at 07:14 PM

cool....

backninedan - 8-30-2007 at 07:20 PM

I just found out that it wasn't Carlos Slim at all, I been had... It was actually a mock bomb threat and the cops and feds were having a training session. Sigh, I just gotta be more careful on who I get decent stories from.

It is his yacht however.

Diver - 8-30-2007 at 07:21 PM

Nevermind...

Don Alley - 9-1-2007 at 09:43 AM

I've seen Slim's yacht at Loreto before...if he needs to come ashore, he could use his onboard helicopter.:lol:

Hey, I heard a rumor too. I heard it was a shootout with drug smugglers. :o:lol:

Damn I'm missing all the fun.:(

Russ - 9-1-2007 at 09:53 AM

Divers news source" from NEWSmadeup.com"
:lol:
Rumors here, Fresh & Juicy Great reading though

CaboRon - 9-1-2007 at 10:12 AM

Nevermind :lol::lol::lol:

-CaboRon