BajaNomad

The first yacht in the marina

bajajudy - 8-31-2007 at 03:27 PM

Talofa, the tall ship, that stays around here doing great educational tours, is in the marina.

edit-just found the card. 1928 Historic Tall Ship

[Edited on 9-1-2007 by bajajudy]

bajajudy - 8-31-2007 at 03:29 PM

OOPS
too big the first time

boat.jpg - 46kB

that is not a tall ship

bancoduo - 8-31-2007 at 05:06 PM

This is a tall ship

Looks like dumbing down is on fastrac.

Cypress - 8-31-2007 at 05:11 PM

Those tall ships are things of beauty.:D

Al G - 8-31-2007 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
This is a tall ship

Looks like dumbing down is on fastrac.

ya know, we don't have to be absurdly correct here...

ECO-TOURS?

bancoduo - 8-31-2007 at 05:25 PM

http://www.talofatallship.com/index.html

This scow will fit in well at Loreto Bay:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-1-2007 by bancoduo]

bajajudy - 8-31-2007 at 06:05 PM

Sorry but it is a tall ship.
They dont all look alike ya know.

805gregg - 8-31-2007 at 08:01 PM

That's just a large yacht. But not very large.

oxxo - 8-31-2007 at 08:22 PM

The TALOFA was hanging out at the Marina Costa Baja in La Paz for the last year.

BTW, "Talofa" is the Samoan word for "Hello." I lived in the South Pacific for a couple of years once upon a time.

Sharksbaja - 8-31-2007 at 10:40 PM

While Sail Training International (STI) has extended the definition of tall ship for the purpose of its races to embrace any sailing vessel with more than 30 ft. (9.14 m) waterline length and on which at least half the people on board are aged 15 to 25, this definition can include many modern sailing yachts, so for the purposes of this article, tall ship will refer to those vessels rated as class "B" or above (Fore and aft rigged vessels between 100 to 160 feet in length, and all square rigged vessels).

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Damn....I was saving up when...

Dave - 8-31-2007 at 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
While Sail Training International (STI) has extended the definition of tall ship for the purpose of its races to embrace any sailing vessel with more than 30 ft. (9.14 m) waterline length and on which at least half the people on board are aged 15 to 25

All I needed was a stretch limo on prom night.

Thanks Wachovia...Turns out I really can retire.

CaboRon - 9-1-2007 at 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Sorry but it is a tall ship.
They dont all look alike ya know.

I think it might be a clipper.

-CaboRon

oxxo - 9-1-2007 at 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon

I think it might be a clipper.

-CaboRon

To be technical, the TALOFA is classified as a Marconi rigged schnooner. She is not a clipper.

Pescador - 9-1-2007 at 07:01 AM

Egads, I am so glad I did not call it a boat.

Not So Tall Ship

MrBillM - 9-1-2007 at 08:59 AM

They should rename the boat "Billy Barty".

Although it comes close to the "real" dimensions expected of a Tall Ship, in this case a "Topsail Schooner" 100 ft or larger, it is obviously a midget at 97' LOA / 72' LOD when compared to those ships we are used to seeing. Maybe it is tall enough for Mexico, though.

Sail Training International's definition is ludicrous and it only affects races that they sanction.

Minnow - 9-1-2007 at 09:11 AM

Beautiful pic Judy. Thanks for the post. Never mind the nit- pickers.

Edited for mrbill.:lol:

[Edited on 1-9-2007 by Minnow]

Sewing ?

MrBillM - 9-1-2007 at 09:36 AM

It's NIT i.e. "The egg or young of a parasitic insect, such as a louse".

As a consummate "Nit-Picker", I felt obliged to correct the record.

DianaT - 9-1-2007 at 09:47 AM

Judy, that is a very nice picture.

Thanks for sharing it. I think calling it an it is safe. :lol:

Really enjoy your pictures.

Diane

Minnow - 9-1-2007 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
It's NIT i.e. "The egg or young of a parasitic insect, such as a louse".

As a consummate "Nit-Picker", I felt obliged to correct the record.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bajajudy - 9-1-2007 at 10:47 AM

Listening to my Sirius radio and heard the song "Blue Bayou" and remembered that I had always thought that was a great name for a racing sail boat, er ship, er it.

oxxo - 9-1-2007 at 04:51 PM

There is a very successful ultralight racing sloop up in the San Fancisco Bay area with 'Blew By You' painted on the stern. ;D

STAY TUNED!

bancoduo - 9-1-2007 at 05:43 PM

I will soon be giving ECO-TOURS at the future "Trump Plaza de Baja" in my new TALL SHIP. More info to come.

:cool:

[Edited on 9-2-2007 by bancoduo]

bajajudy - 9-1-2007 at 07:15 PM

Se fue!
It is an open harbor, Duo....bring her in!

fishbuck - 9-1-2007 at 09:09 PM

Quote:

Although it comes close to the "real" dimensions expected of a Tall Ship, in this case a "Topsail Schooner" 100 ft or larger, it is obviously a midget at 97' LOA / 72' LOD when compared to those ships we are used to seeing. Maybe it is tall enough for Mexico, though.

Sail Training International's definition is ludicrous and it only affects races that they sanction.

It is a "Topsail Schooner" it is also "Square Rigged". The foremast topsail is square. You can see the yard in Judy's photo.
Schooners are generally classified as Tallships. But I think most people's idea of a Tallship is a Class A vessel like the Coast Guard "EAGLE".
I was a docent briefly on the "Californian" which is a Square Topsail schooner and the official Tallship of the State of California.
I also crewed for a couple of seasons on "Spike Africa". A Gaffrigged topsail schooner about the same size as "Tolufa"
If you ever get a chance to sail on a Tallship of any kind on a nice windy day, do it!

Sailing Tall

MrBillM - 9-2-2007 at 09:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I HAVE sailed on a Tall Ship and it was enjoyable and interesting.

I was not as impressed as you possibly were because I had already sailed since my youth on sailboats from 12' to 44', including a number of my own.

I was never a "Docent", though, since I've never had any desire to be an unpaid volunteer worker at anything.

vandenberg - 9-2-2007 at 10:50 AM

Quote:

I was never a "Docent", though, since I've never had any desire to be an unpaid volunteer worker at anything.

There you go William, that's the spirit:biggrin::biggrin:

Or, maybe, "Rodney Dangerfield"?

Dave - 9-2-2007 at 01:35 PM

Quote:

Don't know why this boat don't get no respect. I went to the website and.... Sweet!

The boat looks bristol. I would prefer the look of a gaff rig, didn't like the extended freeboard or the on-deck hot tub but I'm sure these folks are trying to make their investment pay. (less crew, better upwind performance, more cabin space and amenities).

The "tall boat" designation just adds sizzle to the package. They didn't make the rules and why fault them for their exploitation?

Looks like the perfect party boat.

How about a "Nomad" charter?

Anyone interested?

DENNIS - 9-2-2007 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
I've never had any desire to be an unpaid volunteer worker at anything.

But, you're a huge tipper. Virtue has many faces.