BajaNomad

Pavarotti dead at 71

bajadogs - 9-5-2007 at 11:14 PM

Pavarotti performed a few years back in Laguna Salada, west of Mexicali. I remember reading that the city of Mexicali advertised the event and many residents assumed it was a joke. I regret missing that performance. :no: My loss, our loss.

Does anyone have any info on Pavarotti's performance in Baja?

CaboRon - 9-6-2007 at 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Pavarotti performed a few years back in Laguna Salada, west of Mexicali. I remember reading that the city of Mexicali advertised the event and many residents assumed it was a joke. I regret missing that performance. :no: My loss, our loss.

Does anyone have any info on Pavarotti's performance in Baja?

I shed tears this morning on learning of the passing of Luciano Pavoritti . Possibly the greatest Belle Canto singer of our generation.

I had the good fortune to work with this wonderful man on two occasions in my lifetime. The last was while working on a production of Aida at the San Francisco Opera Company.

He was a person who brought great joy to his work and those around him.

The world will be a lesser place without his presence.

:( CaboRon

z

[Edited on 9-6-2007 by CaboRon]

Oso - 9-6-2007 at 07:26 AM

Roberto & I attended that performance with our wives. "Pava" had the flu, was obviously ill and almost canceled. But he must have realized that for most of those in attendance, this would be our only chance to see something on this scale. He sang anyway, at the point of collapsing onstage and was magnificent. It was a very unusual experience for me as I had never really felt chills up my spine and being on the verge of tears simply from the sound of a human voice in a language I didn't understand.

Bravo, Maestro, Bravo.

backninedan - 9-6-2007 at 07:54 AM

Very few things have touched me like the sound of this mans voice. It cut like a knife and could bring tears of sorrow or joy. There may never be another like him.

Dave - 9-6-2007 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
It was a very unusual experience for me as I had never really felt chills up my spine and being on the verge of tears simply from the sound of a human voice in a language I didn't understand.

Pretty much says it all. His voice could melt stone.

Gonna go put on his records...And turn it up REAL loud.

Dilegua, o notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
All'alba vinceṛ!
Vinceṛ, vinceṛ!

Bajagypsy - 9-6-2007 at 11:19 AM

A very sad day indeed, I know he was sick and his passing was to be expected, but he had a voice like no one else. I to will be putting on his CD turning up the volume and dance around my house as I pack.

DENNIS - 9-6-2007 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
[Gonna go put on his records...And turn it up REAL loud.

Dilegua, o notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
All'alba vinceṛ!
Vinceṛ, vinceṛ!

Put on his what? What are records? I heard the IRS use that word once.

danaeb - 9-6-2007 at 07:51 PM

I was driving home tonight - the dreaded 805 commute, just like every work day - and NPR was doing a segment on Pavarotti. At the end of the bit, they played the entire signature aria from I Pagliacci. I cranked up the volume and let the tears flow, it was so beautiful.

bajadogs - 9-6-2007 at 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Roberto & I attended that performance with our wives. "Pava" had the flu, was obviously ill and almost canceled. But he must have realized that for most of those in attendance, this would be our only chance to see something on this scale. He sang anyway, at the point of collapsing onstage and was magnificent. It was a very unusual experience for me as I had never really felt chills up my spine and being on the verge of tears simply from the sound of a human voice in a language I didn't understand.

Bravo, Maestro, Bravo.

Hey bear,
I'd love to hear more details about that performance and how you and your party experienced it.
Every time I drive by that vast, searing desert with the waves of heat blurring my vision I think to myself "Pavarotti performed out there and I missed it".

Trip report? ¡Gracias!

Oso - 9-7-2007 at 07:44 AM

Not a lot more to tell about it. They had a temporary stage set up and folding chairs. I'm not good at estimating crowds, several hundred, maybe a thousand, plastic resin chairs, Can't remember the name of the Mexican Soprano who did a few solos while Luciano rested and a couple duets with him. Beer and taco stands outside the stage area and some Norteño groups performed there after the main show. Big traffic jam getting out of there. Mostly all Cachanilla crowd, all ages, few gringos. Fireworks at the end. It was definitely worth it. As Roberto put it, "That ain't singin' in the shower."

Roberto - 9-7-2007 at 08:11 AM

There were thousands of people there, one of the most amazing things about that concert, at least to me.

Roberto - 9-7-2007 at 08:26 AM

As far as I recall, the estimated attendance was 35,000. The soprano who sang with him, Annalisa Raspagliosi,

is Italian, but spent a lot of time studying in the U.S. There was a Mexican children's choir there too.

BillM

Roberto - 9-7-2007 at 08:29 AM

He was an artist, that's where the footprint thing comes in.

[Edited on 9-7-2007 by Roberto]

DENNIS - 9-7-2007 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
have to admit, though, that I did get a little teary when I heard that Ronald Reagan had passed away.

His legacy lives on, Bill. Why, at this very moment there's an aircraft carrier named after him driving around the Pacific, bumping into things. It can't seem to find it's way home.

oldlady - 9-7-2007 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I've seen newsreel docs from Caruso's death and you would have thought the world was coming to an end.

More so when Elvis dies. I think Pavarotti had better pipes. While I think your "reality grip" is ill timed, you have a point that we miss entertainers for a while but few achieve "immortality". Beethoven on the other hand......

oldhippie - 9-7-2007 at 03:45 PM

By definition, there's always only one "most popular" tenor. He's gone. Who is the heir apparent? Andrea Bocelli? I just listened to one of his CDs but it was mostly duets that I skipped through.

DianaT - 9-7-2007 at 04:05 PM

A voice like his does not come around very often---he made it look easy.

Not only will his voice be missed, but he brought opera back to the masses which is where opera began ---- entertainment for the common person.

Being one of those common people, I will miss his music and his work.

Diane

CaboRon - 9-7-2007 at 04:14 PM

THANK YOU HOSE A :bounce:

CaboRon

longlegsinlapaz - 9-7-2007 at 04:16 PM

Gracias Hose A!!

CaboRon - 9-7-2007 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
By definition, there's always only one "most popular" tenor. He's gone. Who is the heir apparent? Andrea Bocelli? I just listened to one of his CDs but it was mostly duets that I skipped through.

Oh good we can get back to the discussion.... Andrea Bocelli just does not have the sheer strength of Pavaroitti, Carreras or Placido Domingo..... although he is a wonderful Belle Canto singer as was Luciano !

There are several new tenors who might take up the challenge.

I am looking forward to seeing them perform,

CaboRon

The Greatest ?

MrBillM - 9-7-2007 at 04:27 PM

Nah, that was Elvis. More people mourned his death, too.

It locked-out the LD trunks in Indio. I was working that night.

Since CaboRon's snit got all of the posts deleted, this might not make sense to some, BUT.........................

3:10 to Yuma was great Lived up to the reviews. Too bad the Good Dad (Christian Bale) Dies, but they leave open the possibility that the BAD, BAD guy (Russell Crowe) survives You have to love a moral statement like that.

Oso - 9-7-2007 at 04:28 PM

Roberto, I'm glad your recall is better than mine. As I said, I'm no good at sizing crowds. I do remember a LOT of non-ticket-holders outside the seating area, even parked on nearby hills. With those screens and amps they probably had a pretty good view. I don't know why I thought the Soprano was Mexican. I'm also glad you remembered to bring a camera and sorry I forgot. I guess I'm getting like Ol' Dutch myself. As Carlin says, "When Reagan got Alzheimer's, how did they know?":lol:

oldhippie - 9-7-2007 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie

Oh good we can get back to the discussion.... Andrea Bocelli just does not have the sheer strength of Pavaroitti, Carreras or Placido Domingo..... although he is a wonderful Belle Canto singer as was Luciano !

There are several new tenors who might take up the challenge.

I am looking forward to seeing them perform,

CaboRon

Me too! It's quite a tradition. The most emotional singing.

Dave - 9-7-2007 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Andrea Bocelli just does not have the sheer strength of Pavaroitti, Carreras or Placido Domingo..... although he is a wonderful Belle Canto singer as was Luciano !

Agree about Bocelli but it won't make any difference cause his audience has no clue. They claim him as an operatic tenor so that's what he'll be.

Domingo is #1. He's always had the better voice but not the charisma. There's that special something about an Italian tenor, especially one that has the looks of the neighborhood butcher or truck driver. :lol:

We loved Pavarotti cause he was Italian, ugly puppy dog cute and could sing.

BTW, Karajan, who heard both Caruso and Pavarotti sing said Pavarotti was better. Good enough for me.

Oso - 9-7-2007 at 05:04 PM

Placido gets the "Nicest Guy" award for his activities off the stage, especially after the big D.F. quake. But Luciano had the best voice of any artist in my lifetime barring all other considerations.

CaboRon - 9-7-2007 at 05:13 PM

Dave ,
I have worked closely with both and you are right about the clarity and strength of Placido's voice.

On a production of Carmen at the SF Opera ... i was with Domingo each night at the top of the cliff. When he would stand and raise his rifle, i as the prop guy would actually fire a real rifle with a one quarter load. We always had a few minutes to chat while waiting for our cue......

A fun guy and awesome voice.
There is something very special about creating the voice...it takes about three days to build to the point where they can sing unassisted to four thousand people in an opera house..... ..incredable !!

Great times and greater singing have i seldom heard from both of these tenors.

Bravo!

CaboRon

[Edited on 9-8-2007 by CaboRon]

DENNIS - 9-7-2007 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Domingo is #1. We loved Pavarotti cause he was Italian, ugly puppy dog cute and could sing.

So, a new nationalist debate ensues. The Spaniard has more talent than the Italiano.

A Fine Singer

MrBillM - 9-7-2007 at 06:24 PM

Just wanted to be sure that everyone knows I liked Pavarotti. His passing is sad, but he wasn't going to be making any further appearances and we do have his recordings. Considering his ailment, the end was no doubt a blessing. Having lost many friends and relatives to Cancer, I know that it is a cruel journey.

I have to say that my favorites are the Irish Tenors (Finbar Wright. Anthony Kearns. Ronan Tynan), but that could be because I love that music.

One question for the aficionado(s).

I have seen Minuets performed, especially in Movie period pieces, but I wasn't aware they were common in Operas as Ron writes.

OK, I see that Ronnie has corrected his post to read Minutes. That makes sense. Still, the question is: do they do Minuets in Operas ? "Enquiring" Minds want to know.

[Edited on 9-8-2007 by MrBillM]

Roberto - 9-7-2007 at 07:32 PM

Folks, there's no comparison between Andrea Bocelli and Luciano Pavarotti.

One is a raw talent, the other an educated and trained musician. Bocelli has a beautiful voice, true enough, but could not carry an opera. His range is also limited, compared to trained tenors.

They operate(d) in different worlds and comparing them makes no sense. And Elvis? What does he have to do with this?

oldlady - 9-7-2007 at 09:41 PM

A few operas include minuets. Lully, Mozart, I think.
Didn't know Pavarotti did Bel Canto though, thought that had been usurped by the sopranos.

CaboRon - 9-7-2007 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldlady
A few operas include minuets. Lully, Mozart, I think.
Didn't know Pavarotti did Bel Canto though, thought that had been usurped by the sopranos.

Oldlady,

I bellieve you are referring to Castrati, used in Motzart's

operas. Today usually performed by a mezzo soprano.

CaboRon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bel_canto

[Edited on 9-8-2007 by CaboRon]

oldlady - 9-7-2007 at 09:58 PM

No...I had forgotten about Castrati and was wracking my tired brain for minuets set in operas (I know they're there) and figured Lully or Mozart the most likely.

When I think of Bel Canto I think of Callas. She carried a tune pretty good too.

BajaBruno - 9-8-2007 at 10:32 AM

Gentle Adonis wounded lies, dying, dying.
What message, O Cythera, dost thou send?
Beat, beat your white breasts, O ye weeping maidens,
And in wild grief your mourning garments rend.

Sappho of Lesbos