BajaNomad

Sea of Cortez Oar Fish (Isl San Marcos)

BornFisher - 9-7-2007 at 10:16 PM

O.K. I`m NOT trying to promote the Bloodydecks web site but this is too good to ignore. So for those who have sworn to never open a link to the BD forum, don`t bother. But here is something really special, in The Sea of Cortez, so check it out!!
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/baja-mexico-fishing-report...

oarfish

vandy - 9-8-2007 at 03:15 AM

Yes, we may look at some of those guys on "BD" as primitive sexist racist ignorami (Isn't that the definition of "men"?) but I LOVED that report.
Those guys on the Baja site are great, and have good info.
And I've never seen an oarfish looking so perfect.
Shouldn't a research university with some grants....oh GWB! (my new swear).
Any idea how the fillets were?

CaboRon - 9-8-2007 at 05:23 AM

Awesome fish !!

Cypress - 9-8-2007 at 05:27 AM

BornFisher Thanks! That's an amazing series of photo's.:D There's some interesting stuff on the Bloody Deck site, just disregard the misc. BS.:yes:

Pescador - 9-8-2007 at 07:42 AM

Or if you are offended by the language, personality and demeanor of the posters on bloodydecks ( I wonder how they characterize this site?), you can go directly to Mike's site at
Http://IslaSanMarcos.com
Click on enter, click on weekly reports.

HotSchott - 9-8-2007 at 07:58 AM

There is occasionally some interesting stuff on this site too - just disregard the more than regular BS...We is what we is guys.

Truly the best photos I have ever seen of this fish and the only ones I have ever seen of a living specimen. What a special opportunity for all involved!

elgatoloco - 9-8-2007 at 11:43 AM

Amazing stuff. What else is down in the depths? :?:

Don Alley - 9-8-2007 at 03:03 PM

I've done internet searches for oarfish photos before and none were anywhere near Kanzler's. Really outstanding photos! This guy consistently posts great fish reports as well.

I found a dead oar fish washed ashore on Isla Coronado near Loreto in the fall of 2001. It was maybe 1/3 the size of this one. Somewhere I have a poor photo taken with a disposable film camera.

shari - 9-8-2007 at 06:37 PM

WOW, that was my virgin visit to BD...gotta admit I kinda like the tolerance for potty or is it poddy? mouth??? that oarfish is unreal...just gorgeous...thanks for the tip as I would have missed it...I love it when NOmads pass on stuff like this on sites I otherwise would never visit. Do check it out folks.

Russ - 9-8-2007 at 07:12 PM

Here is one of the Photos on the link.

74523d1189207871-isla-san-marcos-sea-story-09-01-07-oarfish-oarfishdockhor_03.jpg - 48kB

woody with a view - 9-8-2007 at 10:35 PM

es mi en lo bajo..............cha'le........... but it is a gorgeous story of darwins "natural selection"..........:light:

Bob and Susan - 9-9-2007 at 05:45 AM

that "san marcos mike" is sure a fisherman!!!

this is the guide to use out of the santa rosalia area

he says...the fish-meat was like jello wrapped in leather...
i wonder what flavor???:spingrin:

vgabndo - 9-9-2007 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Amazing stuff. What else is down in the depths? :?:

Matt:

Don't miss the Discovery Channel production on the deep seas. I only caught a bit of it as I went in and out of sleep the other night. Whoa....some of those never seen creatures are the stuff of nightmares!! Astounding evolution and DE-evolution. One octopus which had decided to live in total darkness still had eyes, but it had become blind. I found the reasons for the development of bioluminescence and the purposes for the different colors...well...mindblowing.

Where humans have had a hard time screwing things up, the animal kingdom has arranged itself in remarkable order!

bacquito - 9-11-2007 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Awesome fish !!

I agree!! Ive never seen an Oar Fish.

Crusoe - 9-12-2007 at 07:02 AM

That Oarfish did not deserve to die.:mad:... Big and tough real sportsmen those guys are not!!!!!!:mad:

Frank - 9-12-2007 at 07:09 AM

Did you not read the story? Or are you making a snap judgement and a bad remark about someone you dont know and a event you have no idea about?

bajataco - 9-12-2007 at 08:49 PM

Incredible!

My wife and I were lucky enough to have a similar experience at BOLA early in 2000:

Von - 9-12-2007 at 08:54 PM

Amazing!

Roberto - 9-12-2007 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
That Oarfish did not deserve to die.:mad:... Big and tough real sportsmen those guys are not!!!!!!:mad:

You win the clueless award for that one. You can pick it up from the head of the fife and drum brigade.

Iflyfish - 9-13-2007 at 12:15 AM

What a remarkable animal, there are more things under heaven and earth than are dreamed of in our philosophies, I read that one time and it's true.

Thank you. I learned something today and for that am gratful.

Iflyfish