BajaNomad

What would you do for a book?

bajajudy - 9-8-2007 at 03:49 PM

This afternoon a young man from Mexico City waded across the arroyo to purchase a book that he had read about in one of the local mags. What title intrigued him so much that he risked life and limb to get a copy.......

"King of the Moon" by Gene Kira

(Sorry I have not posted any pix but my pc is not back in service so I cant download them. This laptop is old and tired. You will be amazed what this kid crossed to buy this book!)

DENNIS - 9-8-2007 at 03:55 PM

Did he wade back with a new treasure?

bajajudy - 9-8-2007 at 03:57 PM

Absolutely

BornFisher - 9-8-2007 at 05:20 PM

I could agree if the book was "The Unforgettable Sae Of Cortez". Now that`s my kind of book!!

bajajudy - 9-8-2007 at 05:22 PM

Born, Have you read "King of the Moon"?

woody with a view - 9-8-2007 at 06:12 PM

or "girl from the sea of cortez"..........

GO CHARGERS!

BornFisher - 9-8-2007 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Born, Have you read "King of the Moon"?

Yes I`ve read "King of the Moon". I know this book had outstanding reviews, but I guess I`m just more of a non-fiction guy. I`m guessing it was the Auga Verde area that gave Gene the inspiration for the story. I don`t know..... just seemed too predicable after awhile. I mean that soccer match was a bit much.
BTW Gene is a graduate of a fine HS--- San Dieguito, in Encinitas!! Well actually we wern`t good students, but we sure could surf!!!!

oldhippie - 9-8-2007 at 09:04 PM

I never heard of it so I looked into it, for others who may be interested:

"King of the Moon will enchant you with its cinematic portrait of Baja California fish camp life, its vivid descriptions of the desert and sea, its vibrant fishing scenes, and most of all, its deeply explored, truly unforgettable characters.

There's the mystical Indian, Socorro; her bigger-than-life husband, Abundio; their beautiful, brilliant daughter, Maria Guadalupe; and their stalwart friend, the young and handsome Chino Zúniga.

There's the Italian hermit-philosopher, Fra Nacho; hard-driven Pablo Santos, best fisherman in the village; and his crazed sister, the tormented Margarita, who holds the keys to every secret in her dreams.

And looming over them all is the sure knowledge that their way of life is coming to an inevitable end, for the gill nets, spear guns, seiners, and trawlers will soon destroy the fish they depend upon."

http://www.mexfish.com/apgs/kom/kom.htm

Paulina - 9-8-2007 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob

By Peter Benchley. I just read the book again this summer. What I wouldn't do to have Paloma's same experience with that Devil fish!

P.<*)))><

capn.sharky - 9-8-2007 at 09:51 PM

Read both books and they were okay. But not up to the standards of the Sea of Cortez or Graham MacIntosh's books. But thats just my opinion. The Sea of Cortez published by Sunset Books is a Classic even after all these years. Graham's books really held my interest. Again, the others were a good read, but, this is only my opinion. Don't call me names or dis me over this.

woody with a view - 9-8-2007 at 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob

By Peter Benchley. I just read the book again this summer. What I wouldn't do to have Paloma's same experience with that Devil fish!

P.<*)))><

Paloma was a GOOD friend of mine whilst the state held its heel on my neck.......now all ya'alls know too much, but the song remains the same.....;)

edit: content

[Edited on 9-9-2007 by woody in ob]