BajaNomad

Colorado River to the Sea of Cortez

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 02:14 PM

In our flight South with Cap a couple few years back, we followed the Colorado River down to the Sea of Cortez. As we neared the Sea, the landscape became more and more surreal... and incredibly beautiful.

pix #1

fields-n-sea.jpg - 48kB

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 02:15 PM

surreal.jpg - 47kB

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 02:17 PM

Just so's ya know.... none of these photos have been altered in photoshop except to reduce file size. It really looked like this!

mud-flats.jpg - 44kB

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 02:17 PM

big-mud-flat.jpg - 46kB

Ken Bondy - 9-12-2007 at 02:18 PM

Breathtaking Nena!! Bravo!! I love that part of the world. Stunning.

Got any more??

++ken++

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 02:18 PM

the end

sea-begins.jpg - 47kB

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 02:24 PM

Thanks Ken. These are the best of this particular area.
I am afraid you'll be forced to view a few more of my Baja memory shots over the next few days. This upcoming visit just has me going through all my photo storage dvd's.

How about you? I'll bet you have some nice images of this little part of heaven, and I'd love to see 'em.

Nena

Barry A. - 9-12-2007 at 02:26 PM

Beautiful pics, Natalie Ann----

In 1985 (about?) 4 of us paddled canoes on a 3-day trip down the Colorado from near the base of the diversion dam to the sea, and yes it was then, and is now, really bazaar!!! You would think you were in the Amazon delta country-----tons of bird life, fresh water clams, coyotes, and vegatation so lush that you were never quite sure where you were. The Mexican farm workers along the banks at the upper end just looked at us and shook their heads, saying I imagine, "Crazy Gringos" to themselves. The second and third day we saw no-one until we came out near El Golfo. It was a great experience, and one that I will never forget. The river was in full flood for a few years during that time, and we took full advantage of it----there is a lot of wild country out there in the delta.

Paulina - 9-12-2007 at 02:29 PM

Nena,

Those were fantastic. Something I've never seen before.

Mil Gracias,

P<*)))><

Mango - 9-12-2007 at 02:30 PM

Wow, cool photos!

As an avid canoer (without a canoe :( ) I have been dreaming and scheming a trip down the Colorado from the Rio Hardy area to the Sea of Cortez.

I hear the tides are very dangerous and dramatic in the north of the Sea of Cortez, particularly around the mouth of the Rio Colorado.

Nonetheless it remains a dream/goal of mine to canoe. Does anyone know of people that have done this before? Is the river navigable? I would assume that there would not be any rapids; but, I am unsure about diversion dams, log jams, low cables/pipes crossing the river, etc..

Ken Bondy - 9-12-2007 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
How about you? I'll bet you have some nice images of this little part of heaven, and I'd love to see 'em.

Nena

I wish! I have probably have logged 100 takeoffs and climbouts from Mexicali over that area, but I have a lot more memories than photos. I think I was just more into flying than photography in those days :). Plus I have never seen better photos of the delta than these you just posted so I'll just savor yours.

++Ken++

Mango - 9-12-2007 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Beautiful pics, Natalie Ann----

In 1985 (about?) 4 of us paddled canoes on a 3-day trip down the Colorado from near the base of the diversion dam to the sea, and yes it was then, and is now, really bazaar!!! You would think you were in the Amazon delta country-----tons of bird life, fresh water clams, coyotes, and vegatation so lush that you were never quite sure where you were. The Mexican farm workers along the banks at the upper end just looked at us and shook their heads, saying I imagine, "Crazy Gringos" to themselves. The second and third day we saw no-one until we came out near El Golfo. It was a great experience, and one that I will never forget. The river was in full flood for a few years during that time, and we took full advantage of it----there is a lot of wild country out there in the delta.

Thanks! LOL answered my question as I was typing! BTW... where/how did you wind up taking out the canoes?

[Edited on 9-12-2007 by Mango]

bajajudy - 9-12-2007 at 02:34 PM

Que bonitas!
Gracias, Nena

Skipjack Joe - 9-12-2007 at 02:35 PM

Stunningly beautiful colors Natalie. Don't know which I like most, but #2 as an abstract is probably tops. But #3 would be a close second with those wonderful reflections.

Good job. May this year's trip be as fruitful for you.

It's amazing you can get that level of clarity through a window. Mine never come out that good.

Bajame - 9-12-2007 at 02:44 PM

Great Natalie!
Wow i would love to make that trip someday! Getting ready to head back to Baja hope to see you some day! love, Seva.

Barry A. - 9-12-2007 at 02:50 PM

Mango-------

We put in just below Morelos Dam and it took us a good 3 days to the take out near El Golfo. But remember that the river was in full flood back then, and even in Mexico after all the diversions it was still running at about 1000 CFS to the sea of Cortez. This was the first time in about 40 years that it had run at this level, I believe, and I don't think it has run at that level since. The window of opportunity was for about 2 years in the early 80's, as I recall.

There were no serious obstacles, but the river actually backed up behind a huge sand bar that had formed over the years upstream from Montague Island forming a huge lake (which overflowed into the Laguna Salada filling it up) behind it and made things rather confusing. We did finally find an outlet to the main channel south, but it was spooky and we were never quite sure that we were going the right direction. It turned out we were, so it was alright. One of our members had aerial photos with him, which helped a great deal.

There were title bores at the lower end during high tide, but they all went by us in the night------my son was able to photograph the "bore" and those photos have appeared in some technical journals since. The bore consisted of a standing wave about 2 feet high, moving upstream maybe 5 miles per hour, as I remember. The main problem was finding camping spots high enough out of the water to avoid the "bore", but we did, and managed to stay dry in camp. History tells us that in the "old days" the bore was big enough to upset boats.

I do not think the trip you contemplate is feasible now, as there is no water, as far as I know, reaching the "sea"----it is all sucked up by the Mexican and American agricultural projects upstream, and of course the diversions for drinking water by S. California and Arizona.

Should we ever have another banner rain year like we had in the 80's then it will be another opportunity to canoe this river to it's mouth----------in the mean time we just plan and wait.

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 02:56 PM

Thank y'all so much.
I'm glad some of you are enjoying these photos. It was an awesome flight, and I am soooo looking forward to the next one.

Barry A and Mango.... I think it would be a real kick to canoe or kayak that area. Not sure if one might have to have advanced skills for such a trip.... but perhaps it's like flying and simply takes a knowledgeable and caring 'pilot'.
I know your trip was back when, Barry, but if you have pix you could scan and post.... would be way cool.:D

Skipjack - Aren't those colors just amazing? We had lots of others which did not fare well being shot through the plexiglas windows of an older plane, so felt very lucky with these.
We like best the same two... #2 is my favorite, #3 is my current desktop pix... just to help me remember what lies ahead.:dudette:

Barry A. - 9-12-2007 at 02:59 PM

Mango-----we crossed posted again :lol:

We took out several miles upstream from El Golfo on a sorta dike that extended out from the Sonora (east) side of the river. We had arranged to be picked up here, and friends drove down and met us there in 4x4's. There was a lot of planning, and pre-trips to set all this up, believe me. One of our members, Steve Nelson, was the mastermind and main planner and he did a supurb job, leaving almost no detail un-planned. The trip went like clock work (sorta) because of this planning, and it certainly would not have had he not done his "home work"------our bones would probably have still been out there in the mud------oh by the way, lots and lots of mud, but no mosquitos, thank God. We were able to find some "sand" to camp in, out of the mud.

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 03:00 PM

Barry A.... Our posts crossed - I had not read your last one when I posted. What an adventurous trip you had! I envy you that one.

Seva... I've been trying to reach you regarding your return South. My email to you is being returned, so how's about you email me please and thank you.

Barry A. - 9-12-2007 at 03:03 PM

Natalie Ann-----I am sorry I have no pics------my son does, but neither of us know how to convert them to post----------I have never been able to get technically skilled enough to post pics, and my son is several hundred miles away, and I am pretty sure he does not know how to post either, and he has no scanner.

Sorry

Barry

Mango - 9-12-2007 at 03:04 PM

Thanks Barry for the info. I have heard that it dries up before it reaches the sea in the past. I guess I will have to prey for some rain. I've seen some water in the Rio Hardy and know that many people fish there.. so I am sure some local trips can be done. I intend to do some scouting of the river there when it cools down a bit.

I'm still not sure about your takeout. Is/was there a road near the mouth of the river?

Barry A. - 9-12-2007 at 03:08 PM

Mango---------this is a little off topic, but when that "banner rain year" happens, and Lake Mead fills up to the brim, I want to boat up into the Grand Canyon as far as I can just to see things---------I think that would be a great adventure.

So, in the mean time we just wait, and wait, and wait---------:no:

Barry A. - 9-12-2007 at 03:12 PM

Mango-----back in the early 80's, there were several "tracks" leading west from the El Golfo highway out onto the mud flats and along rudimentary dikes that gave us access to the main river (actually a backwater to the main river) but things change drastically over the years and I have no idea of the status now. I can't really remember exactly where we "took out" but it was roughly opposite Montague Island, or slightly above there---------my friend Steve Nelson made several more trips down the river in those flood years (I had moved away) and he at least one time floated all the way to El Golfo, but I was not with him--------my son was, tho.

Barry A. - 9-12-2007 at 03:27 PM

Mango-----you mention the Rio Hardy------we also launched my 14 foot Gregor with a 15hp Johnson from Yuri Muri on the Rio Hardy near the highway to San Felipe back in the early 80's and were able to boat out about 10 miles into the delta------it was pretty much touch and go with the outboard, hitting lots of sand and mud bars, (cleaned up the prop nicely :lol:) and having to hand-tow the boat back up against the current in several tiny rapid areas because the water was too shallow for the outboard, but it was fun, and we saw a lot of country this way-------this was after we took the canoe trip, but the river was still in flood.

Cypress - 9-12-2007 at 03:59 PM

Natalie Ann Thanks for the pictures.:biggrin:

bajalou - 9-12-2007 at 04:04 PM

In the late 90's (can't remember which year) the area just south of Cocopah on the Rio Hardy was all flooded, right up to the Hghy 5 causeway. And on the other hand, I've only seen water under the bridge on Hghy 2 just east of San Luis Rio Colorado a couple of years.

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 04:14 PM

I have seen old films of that area... and as BarryA said of his 1984 trip, there were lush green trees and famlands with abundant wildlife. One day long ago. Today it's dead. Everywhere except the bits and pieces fed by the Colorado canal. Hardly anything left to reach the Sea.

I've heard that small areas of northern Baja coast are beginning to be coaxed back towards nature by some of the indiginous folk. Can't remember facts. This was discussed awhile back and someone recommended an excellent book on this topic. I also cannot remember the book title nor find it in search. Any of you remember this?
(forgive the old brain... some days it works good, but this is not one of those days)

Book

tehag - 9-12-2007 at 04:23 PM

Red Delta. Don't have it in front of me, so no author or publisher, but you should be able to find it.

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tehag
Red Delta. Don't have it in front of me, so no author or publisher, but you should be able to find it.

Yes that's it... thank you, Tom.

Red Delta: Fighting for Life at the End of the Colorado River (Paperback)
by Charles Bergman (Author)

Barry A. - 9-12-2007 at 04:44 PM

Natalie Ann-----

-----but you know, the most amazing thing to me was that for 40+ years the Colorado river delta was "dead", and when it flooded again it almost instantly turned into a flora and fauna wonderland--------of such profusion that it was almost impenatrable, except on the river itself------simply wonderful the way nature can come back!! I cannot describe adaquately what the delta was like, but there was so much wildlife (especially birds) that it was a little scary, and certainly a wonder.

Perhaps this global warming phenomena will change weather patterns to the extent that the Colorado River drainage gets abundant rainfall again-----that is all it takes.

Who knows--------??

gracias, nena

sylens - 9-12-2007 at 04:55 PM

fantastic photography. looks like futuristic landscapes. love the colors.

thank you for sharing.

i'm sure you will have a phenomenal trip. enjoy!

capt. mike - 9-12-2007 at 05:12 PM

Cap and the Cabo Boys are back in USA now, can't wait to hear about their latest adventures!

every time i fly the delta route it looks different. used to take pics but long gave up on that.
cool stuff none the less tho.
like a nother planet. maybe planet Claire beyond Taragunus in the Zilstron constellation.

Natalie Ann - 9-12-2007 at 05:43 PM

Capt. Mike.... Yes, the Boyz are back.... I got the word early in the week from one worn out piloto. He said the poker was excellent.:rolleyes::biggrin:

Nena

Neal Johns - 9-12-2007 at 11:50 PM

Another great book about taking a canoe to the gulf, is A River No More. The river was not in flood so it didn't make it to the gulf.

Iflyfish - 9-12-2007 at 11:59 PM

What a pleasure to see! A first for me. Thanks for posting these wonderful images.

Iflyfish

ok!! then

capt. mike - 9-13-2007 at 06:38 AM

Quote:
Capt. Mike.... Yes, the Boyz are back.... I got the word early in the week from one worn out piloto. He said the poker was excellent.:rolleyes::biggrin:

Nena

pls ask him to get the movie together and by lines so we can enjoy their trip!

Mexitron - 9-13-2007 at 06:44 AM

Beautiful pics Natalie Ann--I tried to take some photos of that area from the plane last month as I left San Diego but the reflections were in the way and we were a lot higher...really nice stuff, especially #3!

Mango - 9-13-2007 at 09:29 AM

Thanks again Natalie Ann for the great photos and Barry A for all the information regarding boating in the area.

jerry - 9-13-2007 at 09:56 AM

great pic Natalie Ann thanks fot sharing

Barry A. - 9-13-2007 at 10:01 AM

You bet, Mango.

It is almost as much fun sharing this stuff and inspiring others to do new things (hopefully) as it was doing the actual "event" in the first place-------after all, if we don't tell others of what we have seen and done then the "event" is forgotten-----as if it never happened. That would be a waste, it seems to me.

I constantly am getting new ideas, and targets for adventure, from the posts of others---------I love it!!!

------and, if Natalie Ann had not posted those beautiful pictures, I would not have been inspired to post my small contributions---------this NOMADS board is the best!!!!

Cypress - 9-13-2007 at 10:07 AM

About boating in that shallow water. :tumble: A jet boat would work, only needs enough water to float the hull.:tumble:

Barry A. - 9-13-2007 at 10:13 AM

Cypress--------------

Very true, but WE did not have no stinkin jet boats back in those days (and I still don't)--------------besides, even a jet boat cannot navigate when there is NO WATER, which there isn't about 98% of the time. But, you are sure right in saying that jet boats would be the way to go when the rains come--------:light: if you were in a real hurry-----------but I am thinking that it is a lot more relaxing and inspiring to "float" the river in kayaks or canoes, etc.

Pray for rain------lots of rain--------for weeks and weeks. :lol:

Natalie Ann - 9-13-2007 at 10:58 AM

This did turn into an interesting thread - and my thanks to each of you who made it so.

I'd like you to 'meet' the man responsible for following through each time we said... "fly real low and then turn the plane on it's side, Migue, so we can get a better shot." If you'd like to contact him, write him here - Cap - or let me know and I'll provide you more info.

Migue1.jpg - 49kB

Cap - 9-13-2007 at 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Quote:

Nena

pls ask him to get the movie together and by lines so we can enjoy their trip!

We are back, the movie is in the editing room and the compilation film will be ready later this fall. We will have a trip report posted to the web site soon. I am sure that everyone here already knows this; But Natalie is a truly lovely person. Thank you for the kind words, photos, and your continuing friendship you are the best, Nena!

Natalie Ann - 9-13-2007 at 01:11 PM

I paid him to say the above.:lol::lol::lol:

capt. mike - 9-13-2007 at 04:09 PM

Hey Natalie Ann - you should start a group of "Cabo Girlz" to do adventure trips..............:cool:

i will volunteer to fly a few of you and help chaparone the escapades........:saint:

Sallysouth - 9-13-2007 at 09:00 PM

What awesome pictures! The color is almost surreal! Thank you Nena!(is Cap single???):P

Bob H - 9-14-2007 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Hey Natalie Ann - you should start a group of "Cabo Girlz" to do adventure trips..............:cool:

i will volunteer to fly a few of you and help chaparone the escapades........:saint:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey, Natalie Ann... fantastic photography there. I've never seen anything like it. Thanks, Bob H

amir - 9-14-2007 at 09:05 AM

WOW!!!

More proof that this planet is a beautiful place!
Thank you Nena

Natalie Ann - 9-14-2007 at 02:31 PM

Friends - The photos are surreal just as was the trip. One of these days I'm gonna get up the gumption to write up that trip report, share it with y'all. Meanwhile I'm real happy you enjoyed the photos.

Sally - Yep, the muy guapo Cap is very married. This trip, however, was just Cap/Michael, my husband Steve, and me. All my girlfriends refer to this as my trip with the two hunks.;D:dudette:

2hunks.jpg - 49kB

Natalie Ann - 9-14-2007 at 03:04 PM

Quote:

Yeah right... my next photo tour will be the inside of the Cabo jail. capt. mike chaparone..... :lol::lol::lol:

gringorio - 9-17-2007 at 04:34 PM

Very nice to see these shots Nena! The place where the Sea and the Peninsula we all love begins - thanks!

gringorio :yes:

Slowmad - 9-17-2007 at 05:05 PM

Good article in the LA Times today on the Colorado River delta.
Easy to see primary reasons for the degradation of the Cortes.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-delta17sep17,0,31066...

bacquito - 11-4-2007 at 08:16 PM

I live in Yuma and have kayaked down to Morelas Dam but not below it (no water). There is good kayaking north of Yuma towards Laguna Dam and Imperial Dam with numerous back waters.

'yaking

gringorio - 11-4-2007 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
I live in Yuma and have kayaked down to Morelas Dam but not below it (no water). There is good kayaking north of Yuma towards Laguna Dam and Imperial Dam with numerous back waters.

I've read that at some point south of the border you can put in and paddle/motor to Isla Montegue - Do you know where this put in point is? Have any photos to share of your yak adventures? :?::bounce:

bacquito - 11-4-2007 at 08:30 PM

The Salinity Canal starts around Wellton Az. and continues south to supply the marsh lands (cienegas) around the entrance to the Sea of Cortez with water (saline) in an effort to protect the wildlife and vegetation

Leo - 11-5-2007 at 08:30 AM

Incredable photographs Natalie Ann. We drove through the area last spring on our return North. Very different part of the globe.
I wish how to post pics. Have some stunning shots but this webside is sooo difficult to operate. Can't even get an Avtar posted. And I am not a computer illiterate. Too bad.

David K - 11-5-2007 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
Incredable photographs Natalie Ann. We drove through the area last spring on our return North. Very different part of the globe.
I wish how to post pics. Have some stunning shots but this webside is sooo difficult to operate. Can't even get an Avtar posted. And I am not a computer illiterate. Too bad.

Welcome to Nomad Leo... try this for help on posting your pics here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24603 (I also refreshed that thread on this forum)

Photo from Sea of Cortez

Stickers - 11-5-2007 at 12:50 PM

These beautiful pictures of the northern Sea of Cortez inspired me to dig up this one shot with a very funky camera from about 6500' last year (north of San Felipe).

sea of cortez sm.JPG - 48kB

Natalie Ann - 11-5-2007 at 04:19 PM

Wow, Stickers, I love that shot! Nature can be so.... artsy.;D
There is still that same effect of the water running out from breaks in the concrete which dams the Colorado. I do not believe the little streams leaving it now are as long or intricate as in your shot. I found that whole area to be surrealistically beautiful and incredibly sad at the same time. I couldn't help but wonder what it all must have looked like in the days that the mighty Colorado flowed freely all the way to the Sea.

Here's how it looked to us:
(Edit: the pinkish cast on the left of the photos is not actual landscape color, it's light bouncing off the plexiglass window)

[Edited on 11-5-2007 by Natalie Ann]

damed-colorado.jpg - 49kB

Skipjack Joe - 11-5-2007 at 04:43 PM

Hola Stickers. Your picture looks like some of the valley oaks we passed up at coe state park yesterday. I wonder if that's a total coincidence or some law of physics that applies equally to both (growth towards light vs. outflow towards sea).

Mango - 11-5-2007 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Wow, Stickers, I love that shot! Nature can be so.... artsy.;D
There is still that same effect of the water running out from breaks in the concrete which dams the Colorado. I do not believe the little streams leaving it now are as long or intricate as in your shot. I found that whole area to be surrealistically beautiful and incredibly sad at the same time. I couldn't help but wonder what it all must have looked like in the days that the mighty Colorado flowed freely all the way to the Sea.

Here's how it looked to us:
(Edit: the pinkish cast on the left of the photos is not actual landscape color, it's light bouncing off the plexiglass window)

[Edited on 11-5-2007 by Natalie Ann]

I'm glad to see this thread revived. :D

I took a small trip over to the river just south of the US border last month, and it was bone dry. Very sad. There were some dikes with masses of dry trees and brush between just waiting to spring to life in the old river channel.

I just pray "climate change" may bring good change to this region in the long run. It would be nice to see this river flow again.

I had a landscape design teacher that told me once.. that all plants are "native", they just haven't found their home yet. It's an ever changing world and it likes to run in cycles. It will flow again; but, we may not be around to see it.

Stickers - 11-5-2007 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Hola Stickers. Your picture looks like some of the valley oaks we passed up at coe state park yesterday. I wonder if that's a total coincidence or some law of physics that applies equally to both (growth towards light vs. outflow towards sea).

Joe, I have wondered the same thing. These forms in nature look similar to others. Even our own vascular system and bronchial systems resemble the same tree like forms.

:?::?:

bajaandy - 11-5-2007 at 08:40 PM

Awesome pics Natalie Ann! You've such a good eye!

Isle. Montegue

bacquito - 11-6-2007 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gringorio
Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito

I've read that at some point south of the border you can put in and paddle/motor to Isla Montegue - Do you know where this put in point is? Have any photos to share of your yak adventures? :?::bounce: [/quote Where is Isle. Montegue? All of my Kayaking has been done around Yuma and mainly north of Yuma at the Imperial Wild Life preserve.. Hopefully, I'll get more involved in Baja now that I'm retired and before I get too old-the race in on!!

Skipjack Joe - 11-6-2007 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
Quote:

Joe, I have wondered the same thing. These forms in nature look similar to others. Even our own vascular system and bronchial systems resemble the same tree like forms.

:?::?:

Yep, yep, yep.

It looks like that design is the most efficient way of getting 'stuff' by collecting and transporting from a physical area to a channel. With trees: you're maximizing the ability of nutrients from where it's created to the storage area, the trunk. With the vascular system it's the best way of draining an area of your body into the heart and later the lungs. With our brains it's passing the largest amount of stimuli to the spine. Different tasks but using very similar network strategies.

But those are all systems actively built by our bodies. Here there is no great design. All you have is a mud flat, water, and gravity. And you end up with the same solution.

I think it's neat.

Natalie Ann - 11-6-2007 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
I think it's neat.

Me, too.