BajaNomad

Green Flash in Todos Santos

Gnome-ad - 9-12-2007 at 11:51 PM

Watching the beautiful sunset from our rooftop this evening (Thursday, Sept. 12), I witnessed my second green flash. The first one was about a month or so ago. Perfect conditions, slightly hazy, light breeze, fairly clear at the horizon with a very red orange sun. I’ve watched for years to see one and now I’ve seen two in a matter of weeks.

Magico! :bounce:

Anyone else see it?

Iflyfish - 9-12-2007 at 11:55 PM

Wonderful! The color! Amazing!

Iflyfish

verde

BFS - 9-13-2007 at 07:42 AM

I saw that last night!!
Wicked. I was swimming at La Pastora during that spectacular sunset and thought I saw green too! As I was in the water I didnt get the best look, but what a sunset!!

Aq

Iflyfish - 9-14-2007 at 02:19 PM

Keeps ya looking at sunsets don't it?

Iflyfish

BornFisher - 9-14-2007 at 02:38 PM

Actually the less haze the better, here anyway. The best time for the flash in SoCal is a clear winter sunset with low humidity. If you can see San Clemente Island, chances are you will see the flash. BTW, the flash also occurs at sunRISE. But my favorite one had some clouds near the horizon, and I saw 3 flashes. twice behind clouds and once over the horizon!!! And I have witnesses!!!!!

marv sherrill - 9-14-2007 at 02:38 PM

Any one have a picture of a green flash? Saw one in Imperial Beach a few years ago that lasted at least 5 seconds.

Cypress - 9-14-2007 at 02:59 PM

Have seen a "green flash" a time or two, 20's, 50's and up.:biggrin:

Gnome-ad - 9-14-2007 at 03:13 PM

Last night in Todos Santos Amir and I thought we saw a flash, but it was not green ... we were unable to assign a specific color, however. I thought it was kind of a bluish color! :?:

Sounds like there are folks with flash experience here! Even multiple-flash expereience. Wow! :o

We wondered about a phtograph as well. I once watched a green line at the horizon at sunset when I was flying back from BCS to Oregon by way of L.A. It lasted a very long time - at least half an hour.

comitan - 9-14-2007 at 05:10 PM

Have had many memorable waits on fantastic beaches waiting for the green flash, 25 years never seen one.!

Iflyfish - 9-14-2007 at 05:37 PM

Here are some images:

http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/pictures.html

Iflyfish

Iflyfish - 9-14-2007 at 05:44 PM

I have seen this one a few times in Mexico, both in Baja and off Barre de Navidad.

http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/cat/4240/display/4961352

Iflyfish

BornFisher - 9-14-2007 at 06:01 PM

BIG HINT--- Use binoculars. You can safely focus on the sun 15 or so seconds before (he she it) disappears over the horizon, done with (his her its) work for the day, waiting to appear with a green flash the next day!!
REALLY-- TRY THE BINOS!!!!!

elizabeth - 9-14-2007 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Have had many memorable waits on fantastic beaches waiting for the green flash, 25 years never seen one.!

If you are ever in Northern California, try Stinson Beach. We regularly have green flashes in winter on days when it is so clear that you think you can see the bird poop on the Farallon Islands. December is pretty much the best time...

Just keep watching sunsets...you'll see one...and if you don't, at least you've seen a lot of great sunsets...it's a win win situation.

mtgoat666 - 9-14-2007 at 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

I've seen too many to count. If your into physics, you'll know that they are infrequent for viewers on the beach. More frequent if >10 meters above sea level. Best I have seen were from mtns, or at sunrise.

Gnome-ad - 9-15-2007 at 02:31 PM

Thanks Iflyfish!

Went to view some on those links and found out there is a blue flash as well, which was what I saw the following evening. We look forward to observing most sunsets from our rooftop whenever we are home at that time - a clear view to the ocean 2 miles away.

I think what mtgoat666 explains is why I saw that green light for so long in the airplane. It was beautiful.

So what what a delight to watch all these beautiful sunsets, enjoying a cool refreshment, watching for that illusive green flash. Green flash or no, it's one of my favorite passtimes.

Hope we all have more green flashes, or first green flashes, but most of all hope we all continue to enjoy the beautiful sunsets, no matter where we are.

comitan - 9-15-2007 at 03:00 PM

Thanks MTG didn't know at the time, we could have just walked up the hill next to the beach, but it was still much fun a bunch of us walking to the west side of the beach to watch. This was at Tenacatita close to Barra Navidad that iflyfish was talking about. He was probably in a second story Restaurant.

DENNIS - 9-15-2007 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

If your into physics, you'll know that they are infrequent for viewers on the beach.

If you're into physics, you're probably running too fast toward a toilet to watch the horizon and the "Brown Flash" is foremost on your mind.

comitan - 9-15-2007 at 03:17 PM

:wow::wow::wow:

Gnome-ad - 9-15-2007 at 05:44 PM

Ooohhh, DENNIS!