BajaNomad

East Cape skipjack

Osprey - 9-13-2007 at 07:11 AM

Took the panga out yesterday, motored east, just as we began to troll for dorado my fishing buddy said "look behind you, the charter boats are stacking up". Sure enough 30 plus cruisers were onto something right in front of my house about a mile off the beach. We ran back and because we had no bait, no sardines we trolled tuna plugs and rapalas thru and around the fleet. We wore out our arms on big barrilete, kept one nice yellowfin tuna. Looked like all the charter clients were doing the same, having a ball. Stayed flat and friendly all morning. Great day on the water.

Al G - 9-13-2007 at 07:23 AM

It is amazing life is really this good...cannot wait:biggrin:

Cypress - 9-13-2007 at 07:57 AM

Osprey, Thanks for the report. Those little bonita really put up a good fight on light tackle.:D

BajaBruno - 9-13-2007 at 12:10 PM

Thanks for making me feel bad, Osprey. I ran the opposite direction out to El Bajo (trolling the whole way) and had a triggerfish for my trouble. :fire:
It was a beautiful day on the water, though.

Cypress - 9-13-2007 at 12:29 PM

BajaBruno Don't feel bad. :) A beautiful day on the water has it's own rewards.:yes: Catching a triggerfish trolling is unusual. You must have trolled over a hungry reef.:)

BajaBruno - 9-13-2007 at 01:02 PM

Thanks, Cypress for refreshing my perspective. No, I got nothing trolling. I caught the triggerfish on the bottom at the El Bajo seamount with a sardina. I broke off something else, something cut the leader, and I lost a dozen sardina to little munchers. Maybe I should have used Gulp!

[Edited on 9-13-2007 by BajaBruno]

Triggerfish

Skipjack Joe - 9-13-2007 at 02:18 PM

... are nothing to be sneezed at.

I just finished reading "Adrift", whose author survived 76 days in a raft on the Atlantic eating only triggerfish and dorado. His salvation was that triggerfish would show up and nibble on the barnacles attached to his raft.

tripledigitken - 9-13-2007 at 02:36 PM

I'm with you Skipjack, I fish for them from shore with 4-6# test and they are a blast.

They are great eating aswell. Just have a very sharp knife when you clean them.

Ken

Cypress - 9-13-2007 at 03:27 PM

tripledigitken, I agree. :)Triggerfish are some of the best tasting fish that swim.:)

Yakfishing - 9-13-2007 at 03:48 PM

Triggers make great ceviche.

Joe O.

comitan - 9-13-2007 at 04:24 PM

Cypress

Barilette and Bonita are different, Bonita have white meat and teeth.:yes::yes: We do agree on triggerfish.:yes::yes:

[Edited on 9-13-2007 by comitan]

Cypress - 9-13-2007 at 04:49 PM

comitan Thanks for the correction. :D Was thinking of the Atlantic variety of Bonita, thought Barilette and Bonita were the same critter.:D I've got a lot to learn about the Pacific species.:D

comitan - 9-13-2007 at 04:52 PM

Cypress

In my old fishing album I have pictures of both showing the difference because so many people think they are the same.

For you franco lovers ...

Skipjack Joe - 9-13-2007 at 05:25 PM

Barilette, gentille Barilette
Barilette je te plumerai

Alan - 9-13-2007 at 09:57 PM

Triggerfish taste great and the best way to clean them is to use the letter opener technique. Take a sharp, pointed knife, insert it in the fish and cut from the inside-out.

Iflyfish - 9-13-2007 at 11:43 PM

My only regret about this post is that I was not in the boat.

Iflyfish

jerry - 9-13-2007 at 11:58 PM

if your lucky enoff to be in baja
your lucky enoff

Osprey - 9-14-2007 at 06:52 AM

Cypress, spend some time with Mr. Google on the fish stuff. You won't be sorry. Down here I have caught Kawakawa, Mexican Bonito, Pacific Bonito, Barrilete (black skipjack tuna), Skipjack tuna, yellowfin tuna. Lots of times they feed together.

Cypress - 9-14-2007 at 08:01 AM

Osprey Thanks for the advice.:D Have been checking-out the fish pics etc. on the Mexican Fishing site.:D Gonna get some first hand experience soon.:spingrin: