BajaNomad

Please, give me the Spanish menu

DianaT - 9-13-2007 at 12:56 PM

If we want something translated into Spanish, we make sure we have a native speaker do the translation---as you all know, using a dictionary just doesn't do it.

Over the years on Menus translated into English we have been offered some strange items, like a "hand sandwitch", and on one Mexican map they had "points of destiny".

On the way down here the other day, at breakfast we were offered eggs with a 'pork shop'. But then came the little more difficult one --- the new English menu at the La Pinta in Catavina.

Several strange items, but two of them really took us a few minutes to figure out.

Young Donkeys with shrimp, chicken or beef.

And a fish filete cooked "wing iron"

Diane and John :lol::lol:

fdt - 9-13-2007 at 01:00 PM

You just made our day :lol::lol::lol::lol:

elizabeth - 9-13-2007 at 01:08 PM

O.K., I get the burritos, but what in the world is "wing iron"?

I love things like this. I've always thought that I could make a really good living in Mexico translating translated English into English!

danaeb - 9-13-2007 at 01:43 PM

Not a translation, but one of my favorites, from a seafood restaurant in Georgetown: "OYSTERS, fresh sucked daily"

CaboRon - 9-13-2007 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
Not a translation, but one of my favorites, from a seafood restaurant in Georgetown: "OYSTERS, fresh sucked daily"

Love those fresh sucked oysters :lol::lol::lol:

Fred - 9-13-2007 at 02:32 PM

Small place in TJ.....................Food to go in rear

danaeb - 9-13-2007 at 02:47 PM

OK - I finally got "wing iron". Somebody in the office must have had access to babelfish :biggrin:

Natalie Ann - 9-13-2007 at 02:56 PM

Don't be secretive, danaeb, not good for the soul. What be wing iron?

danaeb - 9-13-2007 at 03:08 PM

I'm so easy....... "a la plancha" or "ala plancha" if you want the exact translation. Now I hope Diane doesn't get mad at me for giving it up.

mike odell - 9-13-2007 at 07:17 PM

A couple or so years back, at the entrance to Spa Buena Vista, was
a small Lonchera by the name of Tia Lichas, great little lady, used to
remind me of a Aunt, hair net and all. She with here limited English,
wanted to attract Americanos to here small but spotlesslly clean little
cafe. She put up a small plywood sign at the road, anouncing Eggs with
Porky Ham Meat! We ate there a lot, and enjoyed the sign until one day
a Gringo corrected her, and in her embarassment she changed the sign to
just Eggs y Ham. I'd like to kick that Gringos butt, and give him or her a
don't bring your baggage here button~!

Mango - 9-13-2007 at 07:36 PM

My Spanish teacher in college loved to make us do impromptu role-playing.

Once he grabbed a guy in the class.. told him he just walked into a small cafe in Spain and.... saw the most beautiful girl he has ever seen..(as he shoved him in font of a girls desk in class)

The teacher prompted him.. what do you say?

The student... motioned to the seat next to the girl and tried to ask, may I sit?

But what he said was..

Con permiso sentirse? (May I feel you?)

Only a difference of one letter from Sentar (to sit) to sentir (to feel)...

What a big difference it was.. the teacher was on the ground laughing, crying, pounding his fist on the ground for about 20 minutes as the class erupted into laughter.

Sometimes we mess up pretty good too. :)

Pescador - 9-13-2007 at 07:55 PM

I had the owner of the trailer park we were staying in ask me one morning how rough the water was. I replied in my best spanish that it was windy and I tengo mucho mierdo. What I should have said was Yo tengo mucho miedo. Mierdo being the slang word for excrement. She had a funny look on her face and said boy that was beyond scary.

bajabound2005 - 9-13-2007 at 08:00 PM

From our local e-bulletin board:
"Hello, good stay in Punta Banda B.C we are offering the service of food. Breakfasts from $ 4 dollars to $6 dollars, meals and suppers from $5 dollars to $10 dollars, subjects of gossip of seafood from $10 dollars to$ 20 dollars. desserts of all type, service of food at home.

if you have a group of 10 people or but, you I can prepare a Mexican buffet of food or any other type of food. I have a small cafeteria course to the ex- hotel Baja Beach, this located in the field beach golden next to the highway. the schedules are of Friday to Sunday of 9 in the morning to 2 of afternoon. my mail is xxxxx@xxx.com my cellular 555 555 5555 and one is my house is if you please to contact you can send a mail to me or if it pleases it can call to some of the written down numbers. thanks [name of person]

Subscript my services are available all the week in breakfast schedule or has supper received 50% of the service when asking for it and other 50% paid when giving the service thanks by their preference"

OK - I changed out the names, emails and phones #s but the "gossip of seafood" and "field beach golden" really caught our eyes. We finally figured out the "gossip" as an "ITEM" --- still haven't figured out the field beach golden...since then, we've taken over posting her stuff for her...

mike odell - 9-13-2007 at 08:06 PM

Another one that I love:
On all doors entering the Los Cabos Airport. " You are now entering a
smog free environment" Please, spelling police. leave this alone!!

Spelling seems to be okay...

BMG - 9-13-2007 at 09:11 PM

...but what the?

[Edited on 9-14-2007 by BMG]

Oso - 9-14-2007 at 07:29 AM

"field beach golden"= Campo Playa Dorada

I REALLY want to know what's in "I dance with your wife style" eggs.

fdt - 9-14-2007 at 07:58 AM

This thread is way to funny
Once they hired a new door man for La Cabaña del Hotel Perla in La Paz and it was so funny, he would greet americans "Good night, pass for favor, drink a seat " = "Buenas noches, pase por favor, tome un asiento"

bufeo - 9-14-2007 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso... I REALLY want to know what's in "I dance with your wife style" eggs.

It's only a guess, but since bailar can be used figuratively in expressions where we might say "as the notion strikes", perhaps these eggs just come out any way his wife wants them. :)

Whatever, they're not as expensive as "divorced" ones.

Ken Bondy - 9-14-2007 at 08:43 AM

I have a slight twist to this thread. Once I was in the old Cesar's restaurant in Loreto and our group had stuffed ourselves on the famous seafood combination. There was lots of good food left and I didn't want to see it wasted. So I thought I would order a "doggie bag". Never having ordered a doggie bag in Spanish, I tried a literal translation. I asked the waiter, who spoke almost no English, for a "saco de perro". The waiter burst into laughter. He could hardly speak in either language. Cesar, who spoke good English, came over to our table to see what was going on. After the waiter explained the situation to him, Cesar told me politely that in perfect Spanish, I had just ordered a dog scrotum. Cesar said that they get very few orders for those, and asked how I wanted it prepared.

++Ken++

PS he also explained that I probably wanted a "bolsa de perro".

Ken Bondy - 9-14-2007 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
I REALLY want to know what's in "I dance with your wife style" eggs.

They must really be good because they cost 5 pesos more than eggs with orphans in them.

bajalera - 9-14-2007 at 12:30 PM

The menu in English we were once handed by the hostess at an Ensenada restaurant--who stereotyped us as illiterates in Spanish--said "Stoff Peeper." I assumed this meant Chiles Rellenos.

What it turned out to be instead was a bell peeper stoffed with macaroni and cheese right out of a Kraft box.

That was the last time I ever accepted a menu in English.

"Rural with plot" style eggs

Sharksbaja - 9-14-2007 at 12:48 PM

I assume they mean they are the the same as "Huevos de cementerio rural"

vacaenbaja - 9-14-2007 at 01:00 PM

Reminds me of when my friend asked our very shapely waitress for a
"Cola Grande" Now thats a large coke in any language!

DianaT - 9-14-2007 at 01:52 PM

Quote:
I'm so easy....... "a la plancha" or "ala plancha" if you want the exact translation. Now I hope Diane doesn't get mad at me for giving it up.

Boy, you are easy---one request from Nena and you gave it up.
:lol::lol::lol:

Came back to the Internet Cafe today, and we have really enjoyed all the replies----can't name a favorite, but Ken's "Doggie Bag" is high on the list.
:yes::yes:

More???

John and Diane

danaeb - 9-14-2007 at 02:42 PM

I'm intrigued by the eggs with "kind of pork sausage". Hmmm. Kind of pork or kind of sausage? I'm trying to think of an animal that's kinda pork but kinda not.

BMG - 9-14-2007 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
I'm intrigued by the eggs with "kind of pork sausage". Hmmm. Kind of pork or kind of sausage? I'm trying to think of an animal that's kinda pork but kinda not.

Several years ago I was shopping in a canned foods outlet store with my wife. I picked up a small tin of "Potted Meat Food Product". Curious, I looked at the label to see what was in a "food product". The main ingredient was "defatted fatty pork tissue". MMMMM, yummy. I bought it as a joke and gave it to a friend who still has it. I keep saying we should open it up to see what's inside. My mistake was only buying 1, but 29 cents is 29 cents you know!

[Edited on 9-14-2007 by BMG]

3 more examples

sylens - 9-14-2007 at 03:27 PM

srhimps coctail (corralito on calle primera)

frechs shrimp (on van selling…what else?)

i admire how they try to get those multiple-consonant words right, but it really is difficult getting the darned consonants in the right order.

at gigante on transpeninsular, there is a stand selling "nieves twits" can't help smiling with that one:D

docsmom - 9-14-2007 at 06:46 PM

Many years ago our favorite dinner restarurant in Cabo put out a sandwich board in the morning announcing "Tonights Special" "Free Sucks".
We speculated and grinned about it all day and of course went back for dinner wondering what the heck they were trying to say! Turned out to be popcorn! Free Snacks!
The stale popcorn, could barely be given away free. The memory, priceless!
:)

craiggers - 9-15-2007 at 01:44 AM

"kind of pork sausage" sounds an awful lot like chorizo (or is it choriso) to me.

[Edited on 9-15-2007 by craiggers]

docsmom - 9-15-2007 at 10:25 AM

bajaeng,
Are you kidding or just nuts? There's nothing in this thread to take offense at. This is possibly the most joyous thread I've read in days. It's a celebration of one of the things we (or at least I) find the most charming about Mexico and the Mexican people, their fearless attitude!
They move forward. They take action. And they prosper because of it.
Please re-read the posts here and share the humor!

toneart - 9-15-2007 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaeng
Why don't you all learn the language instead of being a typical gringo?

1. Gringos learning Spanish has nothing to do with this string.

2. If you want to be critical, you could fault Mexicans learning English which would be unfair, without a sense of humor. What you are doing is faulting gringos for not speaking Spanish, which could be another topic but not relevant here. You are saying the opposite, which does not make sense.

3. You are totally missing the point.

4. When a poster starts a sentence with, "Why don't you all...." it is is a hostile entrance. Why would you do that?

5. This is a delightful and humorous topic and way far from being politically incorrect. Thank you Trotters!

:!:

Mango - 9-15-2007 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docsmom
bajaeng,
Are you kidding or just nuts? There's nothing in this thread to take offense at. This is possibly the most joyous thread I've read in days. It's a celebration of one of the things we (or at least I) find the most charming about Mexico and the Mexican people, their fearless attitude!
They move forward. They take action. And they prosper because of it.
Please re-read the posts here and share the humor!

I'd agree. This thread is mostly about Mexican people's attempt to learn or use English; but, also our attempts to learn Spanish. (Both good things)

I also agree, that people should try to learn Spanish when traveling in Mexico. But, that is exactly what the title of this thread promotes, "Please, give me the Spanish menu" "Not, please give me the English menu"

Try reading the thread from the beginning. babjaeng, I think you may be confused. I, as many others, prefer to order food, etc in Spanish when in Mexico; but, we are often handed a "English menu, without asking for it, that can be quite funny."

Now back to the humor and (mis)understanding of other cultures...

Mango - 9-15-2007 at 11:06 AM

During my first trip to Mexico I traversed the entire country by bus alone for a little over a month. At first my Spanish was pretty basic, and often incorrect; but, it improved rapidly as I realized I had no other choice but to try my best and just "go for it".

After my first two trips, I had learned a good number of common slang words and phrases often used in Mexico. I tried to practice with Spanish speakers at home as often as I could to get ready for my next trip.

On my third trip I felt that I had a pretty good command of the language. I seemed to do pretty good with my Spanish as first; but, every time I asked someone "What?" or to repeat what they just said.. they always got this really confused look on their face and stopped talking..or said something totally bizzare and off the wall in response.

This went on for about 2 weeks. I became annoyed, confused, and befuddled. Why did people get so confused and act so weird when I simply asked, "What?"

Then one day it hit me. I was reading the newspaper in the park and saw something about, "World News"

"World" translates to "Mundo" in Spanish.. and that in itself would not be so funny except for the fact that I had been using "Mundo?" instead of "Mande?" to ask "What?" for over two weeks. Suddenly the reason all the confused looks became obvious.

I think I laughed at myself every time I saw the word Mundo or asked Mande? the rest of the trip.

backninedan - 9-15-2007 at 11:12 AM

Bajaeng, I hear they do inexpensive humor implants in Tijuana, you may want to check into it.

bajaeng

DianaT - 9-15-2007 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Why don't you all learn the language instead of being a typical gringo?

We knew it was only a matter of time---surprised it took this long for the baseless attack----you don't know us, you don't know what we are or are not learning, and you certainly don't know what "type" of gringo we are.

Your attempt at explanation was well, we won't say.

It didn't seem to need any explanation for most, but for you I guess it does. --while learning a language, Spanish, or English, one will make mistakes, often embarassing and or funny, and often direct translation just does not work.

Now, we need to find our old Mexican Map that is in English so we can find our "Points of Destiny"

John and Diane

bajajudy - 9-15-2007 at 11:38 AM

This is one of my favorite stories:

After I returned from 3 weeks of Spanish school in Se Habla, La Paz, we were out to dinner with some friends. They all thought it was hilarious when they insisted that I get the Spanish menu. I had no problem with that as I have always asked for one as a study aid. We all gave our orders. When the first course arrived my friend sitting next to me looked at her plate and said, "I ordered soup!" I grinned and said. "No, my dear, you ordered sopes and that is what you got"

I wish I could remember some of the funnies I have seen on menus but fish ball soup has always made me giggle.

Paula - 9-15-2007 at 11:59 AM

Bajaeng, there are a lot of Americans and Canadians who don't travel until they are well into middle age. Learning a language at that point just doesn't come as easily as it does when you're younger. And some people just don't have an aptitude for a second languge. Your Spanish must be good, but be more tolerant of others, and as Diane says, don't make assumptions.

And if you are in Loreto be sure to try the superdanky at Superburro-- it's delicious.

Oh, and by the way, my Spanish is pretty good too:dudette:

docsmom - 9-15-2007 at 12:17 PM

bajaeng,
Glad to have you back to this fun thread!

Paula - 9-15-2007 at 12:40 PM

bajaeng,

Oops! I didn't see your post above before I wrote mine. Didn't mean to preach...

toneart - 9-15-2007 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
I went back and re-read from beginning and I'm humble enough to admit I jumped the gun on this. My apologies please ... sorry, I'm not a morning person and I read the the paper backwards

I'm impressed! Thank you, Bajaeng. It takes a lot of courage to admit a mistake. Now we are on the same page.

However, I would like to know how to "read the paper backwards." I'm really feeling inadequate here. Now we have to learn Chinese as well as Spanish? Come on....break out the Chinese menu.

Oops...my Ontoolong.:yes:

docsmom - 9-15-2007 at 12:51 PM

Ok, back to the fun thread. Many years ago we (me, docs dad, our son the doc and a nephew who we'll call gringo) were having coctails at the Popotla trailer park bar. The doc family all ordered hornitos and a corona. Gringo (who's not much of a drinker) asked for "Sex on the Beach". At first the mostly spanish speaking waiter didn't understand what he was asking for so they went back and forth with the order. when the waiter finally understood that the order was for "sex on the beach" he jumped backward, threw his hands in the air, and said "No!, No!, No!, No!, No!".
I don't remember the end of the story, just the laughter..........
My guess is that gringo wound up with a shot and a beer. Just where he should have been from the beginning! Vive la Mexico!

Mango - 9-15-2007 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
...I read the the paper backwards

However, I would like to know how to "read the paper backwards."

When I was very young I used to sit on the couch and read the newspaper, often upside down. My mother has a photo of me doing so. I didn't know how to read yet.. I guess I just wanted to "look just like dad"

bajaeng... I figured you just misread the thread. I agree with you though. It is sad that many gringos don't make enough effort to learn Spanish. I met a lady in San Miguel de Allende lived in town for years, yet still couldn't even order coffee in Spanish. :no:

Oso - 9-15-2007 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Ok, back to the fun thread. Many years ago we (me, docs dad, our son the doc and a nephew who we'll call gringo) were having coctails at the Popotla trailer park bar. The doc family all ordered hornitos and a corona. Gringo (who's not much of a drinker) asked for "Sex on the Beach". At first the mostly spanish speaking waiter didn't understand what he was asking for so they went back and forth with the order. when the waiter finally understood that the order was for "sex on the beach" he jumped backward, threw his hands in the air, and said "No!, No!, No!, No!, No!".
I don't remember the end of the story, just the laughter..........
My guess is that gringo wound up with a shot and a beer. Just where he should have been from the beginning! Vive la Mexico!

There is, or was, a popular drink in Tijuana bars known as a "Blowjob" (I'm not making this up) I've forgotten what's in it but it was similar to a rum and coke but with added club soda.

fdt - 9-15-2007 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
I went back and re-read from beginning and I'm humble enough to admit I jumped the gun on this. My apologies please ... sorry, I'm not a morning person and I read the the paper backwards

I'm glad you now agree, it has been funnnnnnyyyyyyyy.
subjects of gossip of seafood :lol::lol::lol:
Young Donkys :lol::lol::lol:
Wing iron :lol::lol::lol:
field beach golden :lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS - 9-15-2007 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
There is, or was, a popular drink in Tijuana bars known as a "Blowjob" (I'm not making this up) I've forgotten what's in it but it was similar to a rum and coke but with added club soda.

There's a drink today, here, with those specs called a Campechano. Add a piece of lime.
These things are really regional so, that's all I know.

danaeb - 9-15-2007 at 02:53 PM

Hose A - Can we have a new forum? "Miss Translations"? I think it could cover a multitude of errors both ways. How many times have we (me) attempted Spanish, to be met with a waiter's guffaw or a clerk's wry smile?

Seems everyone has had fun with this. Thanks Diane. You always find the thing that we love about Mexico.

DianaT - 9-15-2007 at 03:33 PM

Quote:

Good! Thanks. :yes::yes: Now if you are ever in Bahia Asuncion stop by and hear me embarass myself on a daily basis as I stumble through the language.

Diane

toneart - 9-15-2007 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
...I read the the paper backwards

However, I would like to know how to "read the paper backwards."

When I was very young I used to sit on the couch and read the newspaper, often upside down. My mother has a photo of me doing so. I didn't know how to read yet.. I guess I just wanted to "look just like dad"

bajaeng... I figured you just misread the thread. I agree with you though. It is sad that many gringos don't make enough effort to learn Spanish. I met a lady in San Miguel de Allende lived in town for years, yet still couldn't even order coffee in Spanish. :no:

Mango,......must be a savant thing. :?: :spingrin: I lived in San Miguel 1981-1983. What years were you there? Also, I may know the woman, although most I knew at the time were pretty good at attempting Spanish.

docsmom - 9-16-2007 at 10:56 AM

And here's my final funny language story, although it's not quite language related.........
We were at Plaza Las Glorias in Cabo and the hotel was mostly built but not really open for business yet. We stopped in after dinner to have a peek around and get an after dinner drink. We sat at a beautiful outside restaurant, white tablecloths, flowers on the table, everything was top shelf. But about mid-way through our drinks we noticed there was some weird motion going on on the floor and after we watched for a few momements we saw there were dozens of mice running around on the floor! And I mean dozens! Now I think I'm a pretty well-mannered gal, but I really couldn't handle the mice running over my feet, so the only thing I could think to do was move my feet away from the mouse olympics and plant them firmly on the beautiful white tablecloth! Hey, don't give me S**T, it was all I could think to do in my relaxed c-cktailed state! And thankfully my mom doesn't know about this site 'cuz she wouldn't think this is funny!
But funnier than that is when we went to leave, Docsdad said he needed to use the restroom. I sat outside while he did his thing and when he came out of the restroom he said "That's the nicest mensroom I've ever seen! Marble, mirrors, beautiful fixtures.....!". I listened to his critique and thought how nice to be at a nice hotel and thought no more of it. But having sat quietly for a few minutes I decided that I needed to use the ladies room. I went in to this very ordinary bathroom, went into the stall, and while I was sitting there I realized I'd walked by the urinals to get to where I was going! You can imagine that I did my thing quickly and bolted for the door. There's no way I wanted to encounter a man at the urinal!
As I'm sure you've already figured out, they'd mis-labeled the mens and ladies rooms. Docsdad and I had a great laugh over that!
Vive la Mexico! Never do we come home from a night out in the US with such great giggles!

DENNIS - 9-16-2007 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
we watched for a few momements we saw there were dozens of mice running around on the floor!

At least you didn't stand on the chair and scream,"EEK."

Gnome-ad - 9-17-2007 at 12:37 PM

This is a mainland tale, second-hand, since ordering "huevos" in Baja does not bring laughter. But a friend was in a small village in the mainland and ordered "huevos" at which point the waitress went into fits of laughter. Seems he had ordered "cajones" - in that region eggs are called "blanquitos" - it's good when we can give the locals a laugh at our expense ...

I do second the thoughts about learning Spanish. I am trying my best, but being not particularly linguistic, and having made the mistake of taking French in high school, lo so many, many years ago, I struggle with a new language at a senior time of life. I have senior moments in English, let alone a new second language. And spelling ... it's going to take a long time for me to get that right, if ever. But I find as long as I make an effort it is appreciated.

Now this story is not about food, but it shows that making an effort is sometimes funny. Before I left Eugene, Oregon I was filling our trash up with the detritus of a long life in one place. It was important to me that it be emptied each week. I had put the trash out for its allotted pick up. I heard the truck pass by and went out to roll the can back up the driveway. Our drive connects to the one next door and it turned out a truck installing insulation to the house next door had parked so that our trash could not be picked up. The workers were just getting in the truck. I’m usually too shy to complain to people who do things like that, but I had been desperate for this trash to be picked up so I could start filling the can again. I said something to the effect that their truck had prevented the trash being picked up. The driver looked at me with a totally blank expression. I looked at him and said “Sorry??” as in you could say you’re sorry to me. He brightened up immediately and said “No problema!” and then drove off. The laugh was on me.

bajajudy - 9-17-2007 at 01:08 PM

Gnome
My understanding is that here in Baja you order huevo, singular.
por ejemplo...huevo rancheros. Lencho? fdt?

Martyman - 9-17-2007 at 04:04 PM

At a juke box in Guererro Negro I played that great hit by Miguel Jackson...
Bill y Jean

BajaGeoff - 9-17-2007 at 04:19 PM

Two fun Spanish-to-English translation errors come to mind:

A sign at Baja Seasons stating "No Squads On Beach" and the Bahia Hotel stating that each room comes with a "Bath Tube"

A good English-to-Spanish translation error happened in Spanish class when I in college. One of my classmates stood in front of the class and stated that he had 24 anos instead of 24 años and our teacher just about fell out of her chair! Boy was he embarrassed!

Oso - 9-17-2007 at 06:01 PM

You always need to pay attention to regionalisms. In Cuba, "cojer el juajua" means to catch the bus. (juajua= arf arf=greyhound)

In Mexico, it's a phrase guaranteed to make your dog nervous...:lol:

oldhippie - 9-17-2007 at 06:13 PM

In the Republica Dominicana "una bolsa por favor" translates to "a scrotum please". They use the word "funda" for bag.

I learned that the hard way, from a very pretty girl working the checkout in a small store. :)

Paula - 9-17-2007 at 07:56 PM

Oso

I think it is guagua, but i never learned why. Very interesting!!