BajaNomad

$IZE MATTERS

bajadock - 9-15-2007 at 09:34 PM

As a first-time boat owner, I decided to glean as much experience from veterans as possibile and joined a boating forum.

Boating can be expensive and I am neither RICO nor POBRE. A strong sentiment in the boating community is that if you have to ask how to save money on a boat, you are involved in the wrong leisure activity.

Who has similar reactions from snobs upon taking up a new activity(food, cars, fashion, sport, dating;))?

EXAMPLE:
"If you need to consult Baja Nomad, then you really aren't cut out to endure the challenges of Baja!"

[Edited on 9-16-2007 by bajadock]

bajabound2005 - 9-15-2007 at 09:44 PM

Dude! Are you home already????

Iflyfish - 9-16-2007 at 12:43 AM

Sounds like pretty dumb thinking from my point of view. Testosterone poisoning?

Iflyfish

Osprey - 9-16-2007 at 05:04 AM

I have 2 boats but in the states I always followed this rule: "it's better to have boat buddies than boats cause you don't have to make the payments in the winter."

There's just one glaring difference between owning your own boat and going out with others. When you're at the helm/wheel/tiller of your very own boat it is a high -- all us whimps become Captain Courageaous.

Skipjack Joe - 9-16-2007 at 06:23 AM

The same is true of flyfishing. Most guys in california throw money around like crazy but that has very little to do with how good you really are. The flyshops try to promote the spending also by carrying only the expensive brands. Many of our shop owners aren't very good fishermen either.

So, many years ago I was led to believe that flyfishing was expensive also and it has not been that way at all.

4baja - 9-16-2007 at 07:40 AM

when you have your own boat you can go were and when you want. like osprey says it is a high everytime im at the wheel full speed heading out on a adventure. i like being on my buddys boat too cause then i can drink all his beer!!

Islandtrip117.jpg - 48kB

Minnow - 9-16-2007 at 07:44 AM

Cool Pic of your boat Steve.. I noticed that if you rearrange the lettering on the side of it you could have OR BOLA. :lol:

TMW - 9-16-2007 at 10:50 AM

I'm sure many have been in situations where going cheap or lets say less expensive did not work out well or as we intended. I've had such experiences with auto alternators. The ones with a life time warranty at the local Kragen or Autozone stores will have you spending a life time replacing them. Perhaps that is the attitude of the boaters on the boat forum. We will always run into people with very strong opinions about things and being at a keyboard gives us the courage to say it.

Cypress - 9-16-2007 at 11:13 AM

bajadock Don Jorge makes an excellent point.:D Those big fancy models "eat" a lot of $$$$.:D Check with the local fisherman.:)

Bob and Susan - 9-16-2007 at 01:18 PM

i love "boat talk":P

boat owners never have a boat big enough or one that has enough power...
there's always a bigger fish...:(

get a boat you can tow from place to place
if you get one that needs to be docked at a marina your adventures are limited to your immediate area...boring:biggrin:
a trailer boat can go everywhere:light:

get alot of walking around room....
you never "NEED" to walk around until you're on the water...;D

remember a BIG boat like 4baja's needs a BIG truck to pull it
more fun $$$...

if women are involved (or old guys) ... get a boat with a toilet:o

buy a BIG expensive boat and screw the money
you WON"T be taking it with you....
have fun NOW!!!:saint::saint:

DENNIS - 9-16-2007 at 01:24 PM

Talking like a man with no end of fun tickets but, you're right about the co-oeds on board unless they have no problem with sitting on the rail for a drip-dry.

Paulina - 9-16-2007 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Talking like a man with no end of fun tickets but, you're right about the co-oeds on board unless they have no problem with sitting on the rail for a drip-dry.

I think there was a thread about this very subject a long time ago. It's kind of hard to hang it over the rail when you're in the middle of the parking lot. That's when the bailer comes in handy.

P<*)))><

Sharksbaja - 9-16-2007 at 02:42 PM

The boat's too big to be an avatar.:O Think small.
btw, my shark likes the room.:lol:

[Edited on 9-16-2007 by Sharksbaja]

Santiago - 9-16-2007 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I think there was a thread about this very subject a long time ago. It's kind of hard to hang it over the rail when you're in the middle of the parking lot. That's when the bailer comes in handy.
P<*)))><

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10317#pid7878...

Minnow - 9-16-2007 at 04:35 PM

A 5 gallon bucket will usually work in a pinch.:lol:

Paulina - 9-16-2007 at 06:33 PM

Santiago,

I knew you'd come up with the link. There's some classic stuff there.

P<*)))><

Roberto - 9-16-2007 at 09:02 PM

Folks, I resemble these remarks. I have a head on my boat, and let me tell you, I am happy that I don't have to "go over the side" in the middle of the Pacific night, travelling at ten knots to get to "the spot" at grey light. Over the side, mateys. :lol::lol::lol: Heads have their place - and the parking lot at the ramp is one of them!

Paulina - 9-16-2007 at 09:09 PM

So Roberto,

You've never checked the water temp. or the depth of your anchor?

P<*,)))><

bajadock - 9-16-2007 at 09:17 PM

head and shower work. Today's idea was wine rack addition.

Love everyone's "bigger does not equal better" comments.

Roberto - 9-16-2007 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
So Roberto,

You've never checked the water temp. or the depth of your anchor?

P<*,)))><

Nope. :lol::lol:

P.S. Eeeeeeewwwww. :biggrin:

P.P.S. We're right on the edge of TMI here.:o

[Edited on 9-17-2007 by Roberto]

Minnow - 9-17-2007 at 09:16 AM

Bajadoc, OMG, you bought into the Bobby Coleman special. Let me guess. Peety and Cortina sold out, and Kathleen and Vince convinced you to buy in. Best of luck. You might want to stay close to shore until you work all the bugs out.

Taco de Baja - 9-17-2007 at 09:44 AM

The bigger the paycheck the bigger the boat....or ship :lol:

DENNIS - 9-17-2007 at 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Bajadoc, OMG, you bought into the Bobby Coleman special.

What is the Bobby Coleman special? I've known Bobby for a thousand years. He came by a short while back. Hasn't changed a bit.

tripledigitken - 9-17-2007 at 02:12 PM

Bigger may not be better, but it is fun to dream. In this case this boat carries two of my dream boats!

Gregg Norman's Really Big Boat.

http://www.ssqq.com/archive/vinlin24.htm[/url]

Minnow - 9-17-2007 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

What is the Bobby Coleman special?

See picture that Bajadoc posted.

Bobby worked on that boat for over a year after Cortina and Peety bought it from Charley. The former owner of Sharkeys.

Charley swore that boat ran perfect when he sold it for 3,500 bucks. Cortina and Peety wanted some upgrades, so they hired Bobby to do the work. Cortina gave him a garage on the beach to do it in. Bobby moved onto the boat and never managed to get it going. I can only guess they got someone else to finish it before Bajadoc got it.

That is the PC version.:lol:

edinnopolo - 9-17-2007 at 03:44 PM

Here is one for you. A walk around. The only problem I see, is if you get a fish on up front, a dorado for instance, and they make their usual run around the boat, you could get tired quickly trying to keep up with him. And a LONG gaff is a must.

Dubai-April-2005-01.jpg - 24kB

DENNIS - 9-17-2007 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow

Bobby worked on that boat for over a year after Cortina and Peety bought it from Charley. The former owner of Sharkeys.

I'd love to hear the real version without PC.
Charley? You mean Carlos? I didn't know he owned anything at Sharkys. I was under the impression that his brother, Rafael, owned the place. I don't know for sure. One thing I do know is the price Sharkys brought. If you don't know, it would take your breath away.
The new owner, Jesse, is a good guy. Hope he makes it.

By the way, Coleman was something, for sure. He could sell dirt to a farmer.

bajadock - 9-18-2007 at 07:41 AM

Minnow,
Not same boat. pic is stock from bayliner. thanks for intro to other punta banda characters of historic importance.
Dennis,
How is Sharkey's food value now?

DENNIS - 9-18-2007 at 07:55 AM

Sharkys has food?

Minnow - 9-18-2007 at 08:38 AM

Doc, so you posted about having a new boat, then posted a pic of a boat that was not yours. Does the one in the picture at least look like yours? Minus the canvas. If so, it probably is the BC Special.:lol:

bajadock - 9-18-2007 at 10:42 AM

Yes, minnow, ...similar to my avatar's representation of females who are interested in me. Unlike my boat, the females are better looking than my avatar! :tumble:

[Edited on 9-18-2007 by bajadock]

Minnow - 9-18-2007 at 10:58 AM

Sounds like you will get along great down there.:lol:

Paulina - 9-18-2007 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
Yes, minnow, ...similar to my avatar's representation of females who are interested in me. Unlike my boat, the females are better looking than my avatar! :tumble:

You're not serious, are you?:lol: If so, it's not only your Bayliner that's big, and I'm refering to the one that's above the belt line.:lol:

P<*o)))><

vandenberg - 9-18-2007 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

You're not serious, are you?:lol: If so, it's not only your Bayliner that's big, and I'm refering to the one that's above the belt line.:lol:

P<*o)))><

Now Paulina
Are you refering to above the neck or between the belt and neck:?::?:

Paulina - 9-18-2007 at 04:05 PM

Vandenberg,

You are scaring me now! ABOVE the neck, sheesh! That other area is definately getting into the TMI catagory!! You know what 'they' say, the bigger the boat, the smaller the dingy-lingy.

P<*o)))><

Roberto - 9-18-2007 at 04:25 PM

Quote:
You know what 'they' say, the bigger the boat, the smaller the dingy-lingy.

P<*o)))><

Oh oh, I think I'm in trouble :lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9-18-2007 by Roberto]

vandenberg - 9-18-2007 at 04:32 PM

Hey Roberto,
You could have at least made your pictures the proper size, even if your " ship " is big.:P:P:biggrin:

Minnow - 9-18-2007 at 04:36 PM

Yeah, Roberto. That is one bad arse vessel.

I am always impressed when someone can post any picture on this forum.

It is time for an update Doug.:o

Paulina - 9-18-2007 at 04:49 PM

Roberto.....Roberto......Roberto.

Tell me that's a stock pic and I'll be ok.

If not, I want a ride.:bounce::yes::o

Saludos!

P<*o)))><

Roberto - 9-18-2007 at 04:54 PM

The day I pulled that out of the water at Camp Gecko, people came from miles around to watch and shake their head. :o

We used the tractor. :lol::lol:

P.S. My son, climbing the ladder, is 6'2"

[Edited on 9-18-2007 by Roberto]

DENNIS - 9-18-2007 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
The day I pulled that out of the water at Camp Gecko, people came from miles around to watch and shake their head. :o

We used the tractor. :lol::lol:

I hope you're talking about your boat.

Minnow - 9-18-2007 at 05:14 PM

That is some funny stuff guys.

About Robertos boat. A boat that big could no doubt carry a big dingy. They are usually blond. And the things that are big look like they should float.:lol:

edit: I am guessing New Port as the launch ramp in the picture.

[Edited on 19-9-2007 by Minnow]

Paulina - 9-18-2007 at 05:16 PM

So, how 'bout them Dodgers?