BajaNomad

India Bonita

bacquito - 9-18-2007 at 07:14 PM

One of the Nimads mentioned the subject restaurant as a good place to eat if your going to the Bufadora. My wife and I stopped there and we were both pleased with the food. Also, the place was clean. We will return.

BajaWarrior - 9-18-2007 at 07:16 PM

Who you callin' NIMAD?

bajabound2005 - 9-18-2007 at 07:59 PM

Hmmm, the one who raves about it is Bajadock; we've had mixed experiences. And quickly learning in Baja, you need to order what the restaurants claim is their specialty. If it's a seafood restaurant, don't order the steak and then complain. Our problem at Bonita is that 2x we went for breakfast. Both times we waited over an hour for our food (we just ordered eggs and whatever, figured they were waiting for the chickens to lay the eggs). The chilaquiles...were, well, moldy tasting? And as in most places we've been here, here - food is inconsistent. The salsa is different each time (and not always good), how food is seasoned is different, etc etc. But the prices are good! I will say this, their soup, not on the menu but served with all entrees, is EXCELLENT. When you go, just ask if you can have a grande bowl of the soup. Can't miss!

bajadock - 9-19-2007 at 08:17 AM

M "rave" is within conservative context of limited gastronomic delights on Punta Banda peninsula. In San Diego, I.B. would get 3 stars out of five in my dive dining review.

Anyone opening/renewing a solid, if unspectacular, Punta Banda restaurant with comfy atmosphere(the "show") and solid food(the "go") would attract locals and tourists. Enough profit would result from the beverage service.

Short 6 year restaurant career for me was enough and I prefer home entertainment 9 days out of 10.

Punta Banda Food Map

bajadock - 9-19-2007 at 09:29 AM

1. Los Molcajetes, solid seafood
2. India Bonita, home style food(byob)
3. Baja Mama's, food(+/-), great sunsets on beach
4. La Buf, solid bar

Mango - 9-19-2007 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Hmmm, the one who raves about it is Bajadock; we've had mixed experiences. And quickly learning in Baja, you need to order what the restaurants claim is their specialty. If it's a seafood restaurant, don't order the steak and then complain. Our problem at Bonita is that 2x we went for breakfast. Both times we waited over an hour for our food (we just ordered eggs and whatever, figured they were waiting for the chickens to lay the eggs). The chilaquiles...were, well, moldy tasting? And as in most places we've been here, here - food is inconsistent. The salsa is different each time (and not always good), how food is seasoned is different, etc etc. But the prices are good! I will say this, their soup, not on the menu but served with all entrees, is EXCELLENT. When you go, just ask if you can have a grande bowl of the soup. Can't miss!

I sure hope they were nice to that chicken.

Often in small resturants is is best just to ask, "Que hay?" or "What do you have?" The menu might have been written with grand intentions years before or during another "season". They will try to make you happy and prepare what you order; but, it is best to stick with what is fresh and/or on the stove at the moment.

They may have one type of fish on the menu; but, have something better (not on the menu) that they just caught. The best way to find out is to ask.

I have been in little restaurants and ordered OJ, only to see a child run out the door of the restaurant and return 10 minutes later with an armload of oranges. Often, they don't have the money or volume of business to keep everything in stock, so they just run out the back door and buy the ingredients when the food is ordered. I've had this happen with ham, eggs, chicken, etc.. It's not too bad of a wait if the market is close by.

bacquito - 9-20-2007 at 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Who you callin' NIMAD?

00oops!