BajaNomad

kayak fishin trip oct.

fishinsteve - 9-21-2007 at 04:27 AM

I'm planning on a kayak fishin trip from 10-7-07 thru 10-17-07

Anyone interested in going?

Cypress - 9-21-2007 at 06:06 AM

fishinsteve Thanks for the invite.:) Will have to pass. Don't have a kayak, intend to get one and take it down to Baja, maybe in Nov. :yes: Any suggestions, advice regarding brands, racks etc. Thanks again.:)

fishinsteve - 9-21-2007 at 06:41 AM

http://www.kayak4fish.com/

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/

I have a Ocean Kayak prowler. Its 15'4" and its great for offshore fishin.

above are a couple of great sites that might help you compare different kayaks that would fit your needs.

good luck.

Cypress - 9-21-2007 at 07:20 AM

fishinsteve Thanks. Ocean Kayak is at the top of my list.:)

marv sherrill - 9-21-2007 at 12:41 PM

In light of recent events - remember if you have fishing gear on the kayak you must have a boat permit for the kayak!!

Cypress - 9-21-2007 at 12:59 PM

marv sherrill. Thanks.:D

BajaBruno - 9-24-2007 at 12:45 PM

My experience has been that if the boat is not registered with a US state, they will not give you a Mexican boat permit. Perhaps that has changed, but it proved to be a problem with my inflatable, since although I had a new boat sales receipt, I never registered it and it didn't have US numbers.

Vessels propelled solely by oars or paddles are not required to be registered in California.

Cypress - 9-24-2007 at 01:51 PM

kayaks? Would it be better to buy one in Mexico?:?:

fishinsteve - 9-24-2007 at 05:22 PM

You can get those permits on-line at discover baja.

Minnow - 9-24-2007 at 05:30 PM

Bruno is right. That is the catch 22.
I have also encountered a similar problem with my Dirt Moto's in MX. They want to see registration, which they have in CA, but not in Nevada.
I just carry titles for everything now. You got a title for that Kayak? If not, your paper work may not be in order, and you may be headed for an unscheduled visit to Ensenada.:O

JonS - 9-26-2007 at 12:47 PM

Steve, next fall I plan on going. Maybe we can hook up then. I want to spend August thru to November in Baja. Soon I head to the Everglades where I'll be guiding for several months. Then I want to get back to baja.

Steve, where do you plan on going?

Cypress, you didn't list how you're built. That makes a difference in which kayak. I use to own a business that specialized in kayak fishing and helped put thousands of folks in kayaks for fishing. First thing I did was ask their height, weight, inseam and transport vehicle. Then where they wanted to fish, etc. If I can be of help let me know. I don't have any affiliation to any companies. I do have my preferences but that's based upon use and experience.

[Edited on 9-26-2007 by JonS]

Cypress - 9-26-2007 at 02:13 PM

JonS I'm leaning towards the Ocean Kayak Prowler 13'.:) Regarding weight, height; 5' 8"s about 175 lbs., 32" inseam. Transport vehicle is a 3/4 ton 4x4 Siverado with a canopy rack. That's the plan.:) Welcome any and all suggestions.:)Thanks.

fishinsteve - 9-26-2007 at 02:14 PM

I thinking about calamajue,San Francisquito,Abreojo's,El Socorro

BajaDanD - 9-26-2007 at 11:27 PM

Boat permits for Kayak
In the spot on the permit that asks for Reg # put Kayak
I have always bought my boat permits for my Kayaks In the US there are a few tackle stores that have them and know how to fill them out for a Kayak
you can get it online too
I own a Ocean Kayak Prowler & a Wilderness systems Tarpon
The Tarpon is faster and I can paddle it farther but the Prowler is better for fishing off of.

[Edited on 9-27-2007 by BajaDanD]

kayak 017.jpg - 40kB

JonS - 9-27-2007 at 05:17 AM

Steve, that's a lot of places for a week of fishing.

Cypress, a Prowler 13 will serve you well. Also consider the Scupper Pro TW. It's faster and a bit better handler. I know most Californians don't get rudders, but with the wind in many areas in Baja a rudder would be invaluable. Also consider the Prowler 15. With the additional 2' of length you gain a mph in top speed and at your weight it would perform well for you. Also with the Trident having been introduced recently there will probably be a lot of used Prowlers arounds. I'd buy used and put the money saved into electronics and other gear.

Cypress - 9-27-2007 at 05:47 AM

JonS BajaDanD Thanks for the information. :) Would very much like to buy a used OK Prowler.:yes:

fishinsteve - 9-27-2007 at 10:37 AM

JonS,
I don't plan on doing all these location on this trip just one or two. I just haven't made up my mind yet.

JonS - 10-9-2007 at 04:48 AM

Makes more sense.

When I hit Baja next I want to spend 2-3 months. Mostly on the Pacific coast from Punta Baja down to Amegas Bay.