BajaNomad

Dogs in Baja - Additional Info

Gypsy Jan - 9-23-2007 at 07:20 PM

Last week, we were traveling to San Diego from Baja.

We were stopped at the gate and taken to secondary for inspection because we had our Great Dane puppy with us, even though we showed the records to the official.

This diversion was conducted by a special Homeland Security task force, inspecting all travelers with animals.

Always, always carry the vaccination records with you when traveling with your companion animals

Paulina - 9-23-2007 at 07:34 PM

What do our pets have to do with Homeland security that the Govt. feels the need to have to have a special task force in place? Homeland Security has the job of protecting America and it's citizens from terrorist attacks. When is the last time that a companion animal has commited an act of terrorism? Hidden bombs maybe? One of the last times we crossed we were subjected to the giant x-ray machine, but they allowed us to take our dog and computer out of the truck first. Who's to say the bomb wasn't swallowed by the dog or in our computer? We've been overly hassled in the last few crossings because of our dog. They seemed more concerned if we had Mexican dog food. Homeland Dog Security seems like a waste of tax dollars to me.

P<*)))><

Well, Paulina

Gypsy Jan - 9-23-2007 at 07:51 PM

There you go.

It is all insanity. We are prohibited from walking our dogs on leash in our community because our neighbors' dogs are "frightened" of our dogs.

We have large dogs and the neighbors have aggresive, out-of-control small dogs that challenge, lunge and attack when we are walking.

So, this so-called community association decried that we cannot walk our dogs.

Welcome to the future N-zi condization regime of Baja.

[Edited on 9-24-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

Minnow - 9-23-2007 at 07:53 PM

Jan, it was the fact that your dog was a puppy that you got special attention. I have been to secondary 6 times within the last 4 months. Always at Tecate, and always with a dog in my car. When we cross at San Ysidro they never question me about my pooches.

How do you know they inspectors were from DOHS, not the border patrol?

You do know the two work together.

Paulina - 9-23-2007 at 08:00 PM

I can't tell you how many Chihuahuas I had charge and attack my English Mastiff! He wouldn't bite back, but kind of do a quick two step to get out of their way.

Dern had a chihuahua attack him one afternoon as he was at a rancher's house, helping him to gather rope and wood to prop up a dead horse for easier removal. The tiny dog burst out of the ranchers house and attached himself to Dern's leg, the rancher and his wife were laughing it off. It would have been a different story had it been our dog.

Is your "community association" made up mostly of Americans? Just curious.

P<*)))><

Mango - 9-23-2007 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
There you go.

It is all insanity. We are prohibited from walking our dogs on leash in our community because our neighbors' dogs are "frightened" of our dogs.

We have large dogs and the neighbors have aggresive, out-of-control small dogs that challenge, lunge and attack when we are walking.

So, this so-called community association decried that we cannot walk our dogs.

Welcome to the future N-zi condization regime of Baja.

[Edited on 9-24-2007 by Gypsy Jan]

Generally, small dogs tend to be way more aggressive for their size than large dogs. While some large/med dogs will challenge another dog (particularly male dogs when a female is around) small dogs like chihuahuas will challenge anything that moves.

I was a mover in college and now often enter many peoples homes to inspect concrete for construction litigation cases. I've been in a lot of strange peoples houses over my lifetime. If I can give anyone a word of advice regarding dogs. Don't even try to pet the small ones; they bite much more often than the big ones. I've yet to be bitten by a big dog (exclude the pit bull with a "small dog complex" (and their owners with the same)). I've been bitten by several small dogs.

An Akita tried to bite me once.. they are snappy.

Too bad about your "community association". If I had to deal with that I'd paint my house pink with purple pokadots and install a cannon on my front lawn. Maybe you could import a few coyotes to take care of you neighbors dogs.

Marie-Rose - 9-23-2007 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Is your "community association" made up mostly of Americans? Just curious.

P<*)))><

:?::?::?::?:...my question as well!

Roberto - 9-23-2007 at 08:50 PM

Quote:
We are prohibited from walking our dogs on leash in our community because our neighbors' dogs are "frightened" of our dogs.

I think my dog has this one figured out.

Toby is a Lab, but he's on the large side, about 90 lbs. Being aLab, however, he subscribes to the "the world is a wonderful place because it's full of playmates and friends" theory. :lol::lol:

So, when one of these tiny little dogs starts yapping at him he goes over and starts playing enthusiastically, like only a Lab can. What usually happens is, the little guy starts to look around like "omigod, that's a BIG dog, what now?", and leaves (yapping the whole time). Toby looks at me like "what did I do, why won't my friend play with me"?

Not the most elegant solution, but what the heck, it works.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure there's a lesson in there I can learn from, being the peaceful, non-agressive person I am. :o

Yes, Paulina and others

Gypsy Jan - 9-23-2007 at 09:04 PM

the comunity association is all Americans.

Enuf said.

Gypsy Jan - 9-23-2007 at 09:19 PM

Dear Mango...

May I say that I "heart" you?

We can't walk our dogs, but we put up a fence around our property so the dogs can run without being a "danger".

Guess what, there is a directive that our fence is unsightly and we must tear it down.

The last remark that anyone made to us is, "Can't you just get rid of the dogs?"

If you read the archives here, these dogs have protected our lives and property in many situations.

As a product of a very proper Southern grandmother, I did not utter the first response that occured to me when confronted with the question,"Can't you get rid of them?"

I'll leave the details to your, probably acute, interpretation.

toneart - 9-23-2007 at 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
We are prohibited from walking our dogs on leash in our community because our neighbors' dogs are "frightened" of our dogs.

I think my dog has this one figured out.

Toby is a Lab, but he's on the large side, about 90 lbs. Being aLab, however, he subscribes to the "the world is a wonderful place because it's full of playmates and friends" theory. :lol::lol:

So, when one of these tiny little dogs starts yapping at him he goes over and starts playing enthusiastically, like only a Lab can. What usually happens is, the little guy starts to look around like "omigod, that's a BIG dog, what now?", and leaves (yapping the whole time). Toby looks at me like "what did I do, why won't my friend play with me"?

Not the most elegant solution, but what the heck, it works.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure there's a lesson in there I can learn from, being the peaceful, non-agressive person I am. :o

This describes my dog almost exactly! He may have some lab, but he is German Shephard and Husky, I think. He thinks all dogs and all people exist just to play with him. Little yappers are aggressive with him, but they back off when he lumbers forward to play.

I too was stopped in Tecate and sent to secondary. First time ever. Was not aware of any Homeland Security agents or issues with the dog. The female agent who sent me to secondary was snippy with me to begin with. She then asked if I had papers for the dog. I said yes, and then she sent me to secondary. The agent in secondary did a quick peek inside my trailer and said nothing about the dog. I never had to show papers even though I always carry them and keep them current.

bajabound2005 - 9-24-2007 at 07:49 AM

I read somwhere last week that the US was going to crack down on puppies coming from Mexico because they are unhealthy. And, yes, Homeland Security is helping out. This article is old but tells the story.

Sick Puppies Smuggled From Mexico for Sale in U.S.
By Maryann Mott
for National Geographic News

January 30, 2006

Huddled together in car trunks, glove compartments, and underneath
seats, thousands of unhealthy puppies each year are being smuggled into
the United States from Mexico, animal control officers say.

Usually only a few weeks old, the tiny pups are sold for up to a thousand dollars each in shopping center parking lots and on street corners throughout California.

Most are trendy toy breeds or designer poodle mixes in high demand. But the animals are often too sick or too young to survive without their mothers.

"To us, the puppy is a family member, but to the people who are selling them, it's a dollar bill," said Lt. Daniel DeSousa of the San Diego County Department of Animal Services in California.

Lucrative Business

Puppy peddling is a lucrative business in California, animal control officials say. A smuggler can generate profits of more than $10,000 a month, they say.

They fear it may be only a matter of time before the problem spreads into other U.S. states.

It's legal to bring puppies into the U.S. But DeSousa says the smugglers avoid declaring the pups to evade paying taxes, which would cut into their profits.

To tackle the problem, the Border Puppy Task Force (BPTF)—a consortium of California animal welfare and law enforcement agencies—formed last March.

"Typically, because of our budget constraints, we react to issues and then we try to put out the fire," explained Capt. Aaron Reyes of Los Angeles County's Southeast Area Animal Control Authority, who heads the Task Force.

"On this one, we recognize that we have an issue. It's growing and disturbing so we're tackling it head-on."

Sting

In late December animal control officers from 14 California agencies worked alongside federal border inspectors at San Diego's San Ysidro and Otay Mesa border crossings. Their main goal was to gather statistics on smuggling.

During the two-week operation the officers found 362 puppies that looked less than three months old.

Eight of the puppies appeared to be suffering, giving animal control officers grounds for seizing the dogs. They were sent to an animal shelter, and once they recover they will be put up for adoption.

The rest of the 362 very young puppies were allowed to remain with the people who had brought them to the border.

It's not illegal to bring dogs into the United States from Mexico. However, U.S. federal law requires the puppies to be isolated until vaccinated for rabies at four months of age.

Since there is no animal-quarantine facility at the Mexican border, the honor system is used.

The task force plans to follow up soon with the drivers who brought the dogs to the U.S. The officers expect to check on the puppies' health and for possible quarantine violations.

Last month's border presence by animal control officers has prompted some puppy peddlers to cross over without cars.

"They've already started wearing big, heavy jackets and walking over the border on foot with puppies in their pockets," Reyes said.

Puppy Mills

The tiny pups are thought to come from high-volume breeders—puppy mills—in the interior of Mexico. The animals are flown to Tijuana, Mexico, less than 20 miles (32 kilometers) from downtown San Diego.

The smugglers are mostly Hispanics who are either U.S. citizens or have a U.S. residency (or "green") card, officials say.

Often the smugglers place online and newspaper advertisements and list a disposable cell phone number, so it can't later be traced.

When a buyer calls, the seller suggests meeting in a parking lot or on a street corner, giving the excuse that his house is being fumigated or he has relatives visiting.

From there, it doesn't take much for the seller to seal the deal.

The buyers "fall in love with these puppies right away," DeSousa, the San Diego animal control officer, said. "Common sense flies out the window when you look at those brown eyes." (See our photo gallery "Dogs: A Love Story.")

Initially the animals may appear healthy, but most die within days, he said, often from canine illnesses like parvo, distemper, and giardia.

A few have ringworm, a skin infection that is caused by a fungus and can be transmitted to humans.

Some heartbroken buyers spend thousands of dollars on efforts to save their new pets' lives, only to have them later die.

To avoid being ripped off, the task force urges people to adopt a puppy only from an animal shelter or buy one from a reputable breeder.

In the meantime new laws are being passed to stop puppy peddlers.

For example, National City, California, just a short drive from the Mexican border, recently made it illegal to sell pets on the street. Other California cities are considering similar legislation.

toneart - 9-24-2007 at 09:14 AM

Good! I'm glad they are cracking down on puppy smuggling.

One question I have about a disease mentioned in the article:
It listed Giardia as one of the diseases that kill puppies. It is a bacteria (or parasite, I'm not sure which) that lives in fresh water streams and lakes. It is in all the water here in the California High Sierras. My dog and all others drink the water daily and apparently have an immunity against Giardia. People are not immune and it needs to be filtered out. When backpacking or hiking in the high country, I use one of those fat, plastic straw type charcoal filters and never get sick.

I will ask my dog's veterinarian next time I see her and then I will post the answer here.

BCSTech - 9-24-2007 at 07:55 PM

It's a protozoan parasite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia_lamblia

greybaby - 9-24-2007 at 09:44 PM

Having dealt with getting a healthy parrot across the border, I find it amusing that they are now going after dogs. Have they nothing better to do at the border? Even the veterinarian we dealt with the first time across told us he knew it was ridiculous - we had a healthy, obviously pet (not smuggled) parrot and there were drug and people smugglers getting through the border all the time. Now they're after dogs.

As to the worry about getting giardia from a dog - only if you drink the water your supposedly infected pooch poops in would you get infected. What will they think of next!! It's usually found in mountain streams where animals have infected the water.

DrTom - 10-3-2007 at 07:50 PM

actually you can get giardiasis from your pet. The first case of giardia I diagnosed in a cat, the cat had gotten it from the owner (human obviously) by drinking out of the toilet. So it can be passed from dog/cat to man and the other way around. Treatment is metronidazole and you cant drink alcohol while on it. The cat was bummed about that :)
Biggest problem with baja dogs is ehrlichiosis....a tick borne white blood cell parasite.....important for your vet at home to know this...

Marie-Rose - 10-3-2007 at 07:55 PM

Dr Tom

Hoping you might be able to shed some light for us on erlichia... we have had some bad experiences with it. My question for now, I will be driving back to Mexico with 2 mexican rescues. The youngest was one we brought back in May and we estimate her birthdate to have been Oct 07. She had erlichea and needed treatment so as a last minute decision we brought her home. She seems to be doing well BUT we have had recurrences in some of the other rescues and one thought is that they should be treated with doxycycline once a year. Any thoughts on this?????
Gracias

DrTom - 10-4-2007 at 11:33 AM

ahh, yes the ehrlichia question. Doxycycline is the drug of choice, with rifampin a poor alternative. I have a lab that has a bad reaction to doxy (gets too low white cells) so he cant come to cabo. Id do yearly cbc's (complete blood counts) to see if you need to treat first....and have someone address the issue overall. I "consult" with a friend in San Jose if you need help down there. And im 20k away from you up here....But overall, i dont recommend just treating once yearly.....good way to get a resistant strain of bug.....

Sorry Gypsy Jan

tortuga - 10-4-2007 at 06:29 PM

Jan ,
Sorry your neighbors are giving you guys a hard time . "Can't you get rid of your dogs?" Wow! Good for you showing restraint .What a thing to say !
Here's my dumb question . This is in Mexico, where this is going on ? I don't get the mentality . "Call some place Paradise kiss it goodbye".
I had better stop ! Hope all works out for you and your perros.
Saludos Tortuga

Bajagypsy - 10-4-2007 at 08:45 PM

I would have asked if they would get rid of there beer drinking, bums of husbands, or any of their kids. We have four human children and three perro children, none of which I will ever get rid of.

QuePasaBaja - 10-8-2007 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
What do our pets have to do with Homeland security that the Govt. feels the need to have to have a special task force in place? Homeland Security has the job of protecting America and it's citizens from terrorist attacks. When is the last time that a companion animal has commited an act of terrorism? Hidden bombs maybe? One of the last times we crossed we were subjected to the giant x-ray machine, but they allowed us to take our dog and computer out of the truck first. Who's to say the bomb wasn't swallowed by the dog or in our computer? We've been overly hassled in the last few crossings because of our dog. They seemed more concerned if we had Mexican dog food. Homeland Dog Security seems like a waste of tax dollars to me.

P<*)))><

Well it would seem that you are not up to date on the latest terrorist threat.

< sarcasm > WP: It seems that a highly organized terrorist cell has been found operating in the United States as well as Mexico. This new Cell is run by a german shepard that uses the code name " Rover " At this time, it is unsure what the cell misght be trying to do against the US, but a large 100 man task force at the cost of only 1billion dollars a year will be attempting to stop all dogs that cross into the US, and " Inspect " them!

</ Sarcasm>

vandenberg - 10-8-2007 at 10:17 AM

Quepasa,
Glad those "sarcasm" markers were in your post.
The way the government works I could have taken it for fact :P:P

lol.gif - 4kB

toneart - 10-8-2007 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QuePasaBaja
Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

P<*)))><

Well it would seem that you are not up to date on the latest terrorist threat.

< sarcasm > WP: It seems that a highly organized terrorist cell has been found operating in the United States as well as Mexico. This new Cell is run by a german shepard that uses the code name " Rover " At this time, it is unsure what the cell misght be trying to do against the US, but a large 100 man task force at the cost of only 1billion dollars a year will be attempting to stop all dogs that cross into the US, and " Inspect " them!

</ Sarcasm>

Homeland Security has been listening to "noise" (perhaps Foxnoise), and the word is, the alien dogs are conspiring to put the bite (mordida) on our kibble. It is a ploy to instill fear in all upstanding (and lying down) American dogs. :fire:

DianaT - 10-8-2007 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

Homeland Security has been listening to "noise" (perhaps Foxnoise), and the word is, the alien dogs are conspiring to put the bite (mordida) on our kibble. It is a ploy to instill fear in all upstanding (and lying down) American dogs. :fire:

I guess our Tommy is just like us---not listening

Diane and John

vandenberg - 10-8-2007 at 01:41 PM

Diane,

That dog better watch out or those Manx/Bobcat mix type cats Shari was talking about is gone get him.:biggrin::biggrin: