BajaNomad

sweet lips!!!and preliminary lobster reports (don't miss it ladies)

shari - 10-1-2007 at 10:42 AM

Juan & I camped out at our secret spot this weekend and Juan's arms are sore today from fishing all day from the beach...he caught tons( threw most back) of boca dulce (his favorite sweet tasting fish) lisas and halibut. It was an awesome couple of days relaxing in our remote camp watching all the lobster fishermen set their traps for this season. Today is the first lobster harvest of the season...I can taste it now!

[Edited on 10-3-2007 by shari]

[Edited on 10-3-2007 by shari]

juanbocadulce.jpg - 49kB

Skipjack Joe - 10-1-2007 at 12:02 PM

Isn't boca dulce what we call yellowfin croaker?

I thought lisas were mullet. How did Juan catch mullet with a rod and reel?

BTW, I like the name boca dulce. Who cares what group they belong? It's the flavor that's paramount!

[Edited on 10-1-2007 by Skipjack Joe]

Iflyfish - 10-1-2007 at 01:08 PM

A little slice of paradise.

Iflyfish

losfrailes - 10-1-2007 at 01:33 PM

Lisa are mullet. And not too good a chance to catch them surf fishing. Of course, what do I know about Asuncion?

Hook - 10-1-2007 at 02:01 PM

Maybe pargo lisa?

mullet the fish

baitcast - 10-1-2007 at 02:55 PM

Igor mullet can be taken two ways with a rod and reel,the fly guys get them with small nymph patterens in off white and green wet,we used to get them with light green dough balls under a small casting bubble.

Mullet are a ton of fun on light rigs,great jumpers,long fast runs and will never turn belly up,a big favorite in the UK,I fished them in the Huntington bch. wet lands and New Port back bays,3# 4# tops for us but get much larger.
ROB

Skipjack Joe - 10-1-2007 at 03:14 PM

Well, I wouldn't mind catching a few now and again.

Once we were with my small boat in the 'waiting room' cove at Escondido one winter day when it was blowing real hard outside. Anyway we passed over giant schools of mullet that must have been in the 5lb range that were so close I could have touched them. The fishing was real bad and some action would have been highly desirable.

I've eaten netted ones and they were very good.

BTW I tried dough balls (actually hard packed white bread) this summer in Laguna Bocana (they were jumping everywhere) without any luck either

[Edited on 10-1-2007 by Skipjack Joe]

Cypress - 10-1-2007 at 03:16 PM

Mullet are choice; fried, smoked or any other way you want to prepare 'em.:D Have used old bread, dog food etc. in sacks to bait 'em up, then caught 'em on dough balls, worms etc. Cast nets, gill nets, and any other nets would catch 'em.:D "Popeye Mullet" down along the northern Gulf of Mexico.:D Lisa is a marketing name because for some reason or another "mullet" was less than appetizing. "Biloxi Bacon" :yes::D

baitcast - 10-1-2007 at 03:21 PM

Being veggie eaters all you have to do is "match the hatch",Ive heard of peas,bread,moss and tiny critters,think bonefish that jump.
When they are jumping they don,t seem to be in a feeding mode.

[Edited on 10-1-2007 by baitcast]

shari - 10-2-2007 at 08:23 AM

WE LOVE both Lisas and especially boca dulce which has a lovely tender sweet meat...we just do the onion, garlic, tomato in foil on the BBQ grill for a bit...great personal size fish to eat whole...Juan caught Lisas on the krokodile he was using for boca dulce which is yellow fin croaker I think...I'll post a picture later when I reduce it.

shari - 10-3-2007 at 08:41 AM

So the first reports are in of this years lobster season...very low numbers compared to last year...Juan says its cyclical...some good years and some bad. LObster move around so they need to find where they are hanging out these days. Ya gotta love a fish called sweet lips!!! yummy (just like mi esposo!!!):bounce:

Tomas Tierra - 10-3-2007 at 02:20 PM

they may be molting..look for a big rebound around the next moon. if not, start to worry..

Bajagypsy - 10-3-2007 at 07:50 PM

God you are so lucky to go camping! It is getting very cold here at night, (1 or 2 degrees). Shari, you need to talk to my espos about moving down sooner!!!:yes:

shari - 10-4-2007 at 08:18 AM

Sweet talk him gypsy...and let him know that yesterday we had a lovely swim in 74 degree water!!! Juan loves that day of the dead bikini you gave me!!!! meeee toooo. Soon we will be posting photos of the 3 speedokateers...Juan, mr.gypsy and Diver!

Diver - 10-4-2007 at 08:51 AM

Yeh that's it, sweet talk him Gypsy !!
And let me know how it works when you've tried so I can work on my wife !! :biggrin:

Diver - 10-4-2007 at 08:56 AM

And just wait 'till you see my picture in a speedo.
I am so much more to look at than Juan;
more gray hair,
more teet sag,
more belly jelly,
more handles of love,
more....well ok, I better stop there !! :biggrin:

Skipjack Joe - 10-4-2007 at 11:09 AM

Yea, but is your boca dulce as big as Juan's?

Santiago - 10-4-2007 at 05:30 PM

Sheri: after seeing the photo of Juan, Shirley suggested that maybe I should switch to Tecate. I wonder what she meant by that????

David K - 10-4-2007 at 05:31 PM

If they have yellow fins and croak (like a frog) then they are croakers... That's what they look like (mouth also feeds the bottom with a barb on lower lip) ... 'Sweet lips', how did Juan pick that name???:wow::?:

shari - 10-5-2007 at 07:56 AM

Hey Santiago...nice to hear from you...we were looking at your picture last night going through our Nomad album...David...that is what this fish is called here...but it doesn't have a barb on it's lip???

David K - 10-5-2007 at 09:35 AM

Does it make croaking sounds when it is out of the water?

The two primary croaker varieties are spot fin and yellow fin. Juan's look like beautiful yellows... they are fine eating and are related to the corbina, my favorite surf fish... catch croakers and corbinas on all sandy beaches of Baja (Pacific and gulf), close to shore on incoming tides using cut bait, grunion, mussels, sand crabs....

The best croaker beach I experienced was 'Variety Beach', just north of Laguna Manuela/ Morro Santo Domingo.

Bajagypsy - 10-6-2007 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Sweet talk him gypsy...and let him know that yesterday we had a lovely swim in 74 degree water!!! Juan loves that day of the dead bikini you gave me!!!! meeee toooo. Soon we will be posting photos of the 3 speedokateers...Juan, mr.gypsy and Diver!

Come on diver, Mr Gypsy has said yes to a group photo of speedokateers!!! I'll pick up three sexy numbers for you all, zebra strips ok with everyone???:lol:

Diver - 10-6-2007 at 08:55 AM

Zebra stripes are cool but my complection looks better in a leopard print ! :biggrin:
We just all need to get to Asuncion at the same time for the photo.

Then we talk about the ladies group photo; Gypsy, Shari and Mrs Diver !!

[Edited on 10-6-2007 by Diver]

Bajagypsy - 10-6-2007 at 09:08 AM

I can get you one in leopard print, or maybe even a sparkly one!!!