BajaNomad

Have you taken a pontoon or deck boat to baja?

Fausto - 10-1-2007 at 03:54 PM

If you have, what has it been like? is this practical? I got to thinking about conception bay and it seems like it be nice to roam that place for a week and thouhgt to ask, also, maybe launch at bahia de los angeles and head to san francisquito and back. If I'm loco, fire away, I need to know how far off I am on this. Thanks.
Fausto.
PS.
Is there a boating section on the board?

comitan - 10-1-2007 at 04:14 PM

Conception Bay I think would be OK, outside NO>NO>NO>

Bob and Susan - 10-1-2007 at 04:20 PM

i always wonder why there are no pontoons here...

i think people are afraid of the salt water

in the bay it would be just fine
in fact GREAT
and i've seen alot of pontoons on Lake Mohave and Lake Mead

outside....no
it gets too rough too fast to be safe

rhintransit - 10-1-2007 at 04:36 PM

there is a couple who take a good sized pontoon boat...tow it...down to the Pto Escondido area every year and dink around the islands. they seem to have a great time. all I can remember about them is that their VHF name is "Couch Potato' but I will U2U a possible contact email address of someone who might have more info.

Hook - 10-1-2007 at 04:45 PM

Boy, a nice fast deck boat would be perfect for Concepcion. All the space of a pontoon boat with a bow that will take much more than a pontoon boat.

Minnow - 10-1-2007 at 04:57 PM

I once met a guy who had taken his pontoon boat from Puertocitos to Gonzaga. The wind came up when he was just a few miles out. He said they would go over one wave and through the next.:lol:

[Edited on 2-10-2007 by Minnow]

Fausto - 10-1-2007 at 05:46 PM

How about something like this?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/boa/436616439.html

Is there much of a diference between a deck and a pontoon boat?
So, are the waters inside conception bay pretty tame year round?
Thanks for the feedback and the warnings, the prospect of going Through waves is not for me.
Cheers.
Fausto.

roundtuit - 10-1-2007 at 07:24 PM

Have a 24 ft with a Honda 90 and thinking about it

reefrocket - 10-1-2007 at 10:11 PM

I know a guy that had a 'Tracker Party barge' 22'or 25' but with the twin v'ed hull design. Use to take it out to Seal Island (gringo name) out of San Carlos (10 to 12 miles). Worked well but he didn't heed our advice and always keep the bow HIGH --- found a 8' rouge wave and stuffed the bow. Guest on board said they were chest deep in seconds. Lost most of their dive gear, sucked water into the fuel tank through the fuel tank breather/over flow --broke the valves in the engine (125 hp) cost over 8K to fix. Had to replace all the front deck skirting. But it was a fun boat :yes:

Bob and Susan - 10-2-2007 at 05:34 AM

a "deck" boat is a $50-75K fiberglass beauty....
it will go anywhere a regular boat can go but FAST!!!
there are LOTS around

a pontoon boat has those big aluminum pontoons underneath

apples and oranges

the bay gets wind waves like a BIG lake

yesterday it was as flat as flat can be
some days its choppy

a pontoon boat would be perfect for this area
easy to launch and take out
lots of deck room

i would NOT take it into the "open" unprotected sea of cortez
things change VERY fast

deckboat.jpg - 21kB

4baja - 10-2-2007 at 06:13 AM

a friend of ours did it in bola and they had a blast, a ton of guys on thr boat with a ton of beer and they went all over fishing the place. it was flat calm so they had no problem and it was a fast pontoon boat so they coverd alot of ground. good luck.:coolup:

DENNIS - 10-2-2007 at 09:48 AM

When I think "Pontoon Boat", I picture something wide. I guess you could trail it down in pieces.