BajaNomad

My son's school essay

azvazquez - 10-1-2007 at 08:41 PM

Below is an essay my 13 year old son wrote about Baja:

It’s just another relaxing day in Baja California. This is my favorite place to be. I have a lot of places here in Baja that are special to me. That is what I’m going to share with you now.

The first place I would like to share is Alfonsina’s. It is a beautiful spot right along the Gulf of California. It’s also along a long dirt road, about 50 miles to pavement going north and about 35 miles going south. The settlement goes for about 1.5-2 miles along the shore line. Most of the houses are owned by Americans who fly down with their own planes, so there is a runway right next to the hotel. The runway gets flooded a lot so they have another one next to the road coming in. When you are coming down the dirt road, it’s like heaven seeing this because there is a gas station, store and a hotel.

The next place I want to share is Coco’s Corner. This guy named Coco lives along that same dirt road. He sells beer, drinks and maybe if you are lucky shirts, hats and food. He makes speed bumps to slow you down and try to get you to stop and visit. If you do visit him, you will see that he only has one leg. He lost is in a car accident about 10 years ago. He also has diabetes so he’s about to lose his other leg and may die within 3 years.

The third place I want to share with you is San Ignacio. This place is special to me because for the last 3 years I’ve been going there to whale watch. Also, I like to sleep and hang out there. The mission is special to me because I can actually feel like I, in some way, helped build it. The square is right next to the mission and it’s also the center of the town. This town is also in the middle of nowhere. It’s like boating in the vast ocean and finding a diminutive island.

The last place I want to share is Loreto. This place is special because I went there when I was eight years old with my Dad to go fishing. Then, five years later, I came back and actually got to catch the fish. The beach in Loreto is amazingly beautiful. The water is so warm and clear. They have a mission and it’s beautiful.

These are my favorite places in Baja California and Baja California Sur. I think you should go to Baja and find out for yourself how beautiful Baja truly is.

[Edited on 10-2-2007 by azvazquez]

[Edited on 10-3-2007 by azvazquez]

bajalou - 10-1-2007 at 08:57 PM

Looks like you got him off to a great start--:biggrin:

bajabound2005 - 10-1-2007 at 08:59 PM

This is a great story; and so I must add my own. Our granddaughter, at age 9, wrote this for us last Christmas.

"My Favorite Place in the World
This is my favorite place in the world. This place has an ocean that contains water as warm as the pool. My favorite place has three loving dogs that love to swim in the ocean except for one which is the sweetest Beagle ever (my note: that would be the now world famous Barney). Their names are Sadie, Barney, and Lucy.

This is the place that has horses to ride and tour guides to guide. It is home to the one and only Bufadora. When the water of La Bufadora hits your face it is one of the greatest feelings in the whole entire world. You can also shop there and have your hair braided there. I have had my hair braided in La Bufadora more than once and less than one-hundred times. I would say about three times. It is more than once and less than one-hundred.

This is the place where you can fly with Senior Rent-Me and his flying contraption. I don't know what else to call it because it is a thing that flies in the sky with no roof over our heads and no ground below your toes. You fly for minutes at a time across the blue ocean and the brown sandy beach. You feel a landing like no other in the world. It is a landing smoother than an airplane not to mention less bumpy. You step out of the plane and you know right there and then that you want to ride with Senior Rent-Me again.

This is my favorite place in the whole entire world. This is the place where you can boogie board in the water as warm as the pool, where you can see some of world's cutest dogs, where there are horses to ride and tour guides to guide. It is home to La Bufadora and its shopping center, home to the world's best bakery, where you can drive past the cone mover then the sitter, or sifter as I like to call him. This place is Baja California, my favorite place in the world."

Ok, this needs a little explanation. The cone mover and the sitter --- security guys. But she knows a great deal about the world --- she is very well traveled! Probably has more airmiles than most Nomads added together. She knows a quality place! Oh, they live in Oregon, that's why they think the water is so warm! They can't even put their toes in the ocean water there!

docsmom - 10-1-2007 at 09:04 PM

" It’s like boating in the vast ocean and finding a diminutive island."

This comment went right to my soul.......

OK AZ, how old is this wise son of yours? He's written it beautifully. Every little village I visit can be summed up with this phrase.

Good job you've done with the nino.

docsmom - 10-1-2007 at 09:29 PM

I've been thinking about these comments from the ninos/ninas. This thread should be called "from the mouths of babes". Our children and grandchildren are a product of what we give them and these two posts are firm proof of that. Of course we try to give the everyday lessons to make them diligent, responsible adults. But reading these two posts has reminded me that I need to make them appreciate the joy in life as well. I take my grandchildren to Baja all the time and watch and hear their joy. Maybe this year their crazy old Grandma will ask for a story about Baja for a Christmas present. If they'll do it, I know it'll be something they'll appreciate when their older.
Thanks Azvazquez for starting this great thread!
My Grandkids may hate you for the next 10 years, but I'll send them your way in 20 years when they remember the great times!
Docsmom!

BornFisher - 10-1-2007 at 10:04 PM

It`s so cool to see Baja (or anywhere) thru the eyes of children. And all I can say to your son is "Keep traveling, keep writing, and teach your dad how to fish."!!

Paulina - 10-1-2007 at 10:15 PM

Your son has baja in his spirit. You've done something right dad! Keep up the good work.

P<*)))><

amir - 10-1-2007 at 10:33 PM

Wonderful stories of Baja by children!

What a great treat for Baja lovers like us...

Maybe children should have their own FORUM. Teenagers have one...
And Sirenita is turning 18 and we just need to have more youthful writers on this Board! :yes::yes::yes:

Paulina - 10-1-2007 at 10:54 PM

It's been suggested. A good idea.

P<*)))><

bajajudy - 10-2-2007 at 07:02 AM

Terrific stories
Looks like we have some Nomads waiting in the wings!

Cypress - 10-2-2007 at 07:16 AM

Those are lucky kids.:bounce::bounce:

The beat goes on

Lee - 10-2-2007 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by azvazquez
The third place I want to share with you is San Ignacio. The mission is special to me because I can actually feel like I, in some way, helped build it.

Synchronicity.

Quote:
Originally posted by azvazquez
This town is also in the middle of nowhere. It’s like boating in the vast ocean and finding a diminutive island.

[Edited on 10-2-2007 by azvazquez]

I've only thought this. It DOES feel like it's far away and in the middle of nowhere. Had to look up diminutive. Haven't seen it used in awhile.

I'd want to Son like this!
:cool::cool:

Skipjack Joe - 10-2-2007 at 10:25 AM

Wonderful stories about kids discovering baja. Really enjoyed them. Thanks.

Iflyfish - 10-2-2007 at 02:13 PM

Apples don't fall far from trees. Great memories there.

Iflyfish

Osprey - 10-2-2007 at 04:47 PM

Señor Vazquez, The subject of your post told us your Two Sons had essays. You'll do your boy a favor by setting an example for him if you both use English where you live. If you don't, I apologize for my (well intentioned) if rude, intrusion.

DENNIS - 10-2-2007 at 04:52 PM

Osprey ........
He lives in Scottsdale. Isn't that a pretty classy place? Probably the only people in town who don't speak English have leaf-blowers strapped to their backs.

Osprey - 10-2-2007 at 06:55 PM

Bravo Sr.

rivergirl - 10-2-2007 at 09:14 PM

The essays are wonderful. I dont post to often, but just had to add my 11 year old sons essay he wrote for school when we return from our annual Baja trip in Febuary.

BAJA

My vacation in Baja was a blast, and I think you will enjoy reading about parts of it. During the day, we would go fishing. Splashing happily, I spent a lot of time in the water. Possessing a boat really helps to explore the bay. Going to Baja is a great adventure.

In the morning, we almost always went fishing. Nibbling gently, trigger fish are very hard to hook. Biting ferociously, the Mexican bone fish puts up a large fight. Annoying sand bass will bite anything even if it’s bigger than them. In the mangrove, my dad and I casted a floating lure into a hole in the trees and the water blow up with pargo trying to eat the lure. I hope I get to go fishing even more next time.

In the water, is where I spent most of my time. Snorkeling, fun and cool, is when I found one type of crab that I never saw before. Next to an island my friend speared a four pound Halibut. Swimming gently, I saw a five pound puffer fish. When I was swimming I got stung by a jelly fish in the neck. I had a blast in the water.

Having a boat on the Sea of Cortez is truly an incredible experience. Several times we motored out and saw hundreds of dolphins and baby dolphins. One time we saw a sea lion. While on the boat, we saw a king angel fish going under a rock. I love having a boat in Baja.

On the beach, I never got bored. I always caught new fish when we went fishing. Swimming noisily, I played in the water everyday. Taking the boat out in the bay and exploring new islands and beaches was amazing. I had a lot of fun this winter in Baja.

Skipjack Joe - 10-2-2007 at 10:20 PM

I saved a few of my son's drawings from his first baja trip. You're 5 only once in life so I kept anything I could find of interest that reminded us of his impressions. He was into dinosaurs back then and everything turned out looking like a stegosaurus.

fish_pictures.jpg - 50kB

Cypress - 10-3-2007 at 05:14 AM

rivergirl Your son sounds like a good fisherman.:D
Skipjack Joe Thanks for the pictures.:D Enjoyed the movie "Captain Couragous" again last night for the umpteenth time.:D

Bajagypsy - 10-4-2007 at 09:05 PM

Those were wonderful essays that the kids wrote, make one think that it really is a shame to lose the innocence of childhood. Just think how much better our lives would be if we kept it.

Your children are all very well spoken, you should be very proud. It really is a gift that we give our children when they get to travel to different countries, it's something my parents did for me, and I am now doing for my children.