BajaNomad

THETIS BANK FISHING REPORT - WHALE SHARK PHOTOS, 10/2

bill erhardt - 10-4-2007 at 11:50 AM

Tuesday I fished solo on the ridge north of Thetis Bank and caught the first wahoos of the year out of Puerto Lopez Mateos. This one was a 57 pounder that I brought in through the door. There was a whale shark cruising the area filtering his lunch out of the fertile waters. In the last two the shark approaches the bow of the boat about 5' or 6' under the surface, and emerges on the other side. Note the flat water 45 miles offshore in the shark shots.
Let's see if I can get photos to attach. This is always an adventure.

hoo138.JPG - 48kB

WHALE SHARK DORSAL FIN

bill erhardt - 10-4-2007 at 11:51 AM

ws3 (Small)85.JPG - 47kB

APPROACHING BOAT

bill erhardt - 10-4-2007 at 11:52 AM

ws1 (Large)65.JPG - 50kB

EMERGING

bill erhardt - 10-4-2007 at 11:53 AM

ws2 (Large)75.JPG - 48kB

Cypress - 10-4-2007 at 12:06 PM

bill erhardt. Thanks for the pictures.:D Looks like you've been having good luck and a good time. :D

Bajaboy - 10-4-2007 at 01:42 PM

Fresh wahoo....my mouth is watering....

Zac

tunaeater - 10-4-2007 at 04:02 PM

That water looks so inviting

Good job on the wahoo and photos

Paulina - 10-4-2007 at 04:37 PM

That whale shark was a big boy, were you tempted to jump in?

tripledigitken - 10-4-2007 at 04:49 PM

I love your photo's, Bill. The content of course is great, but you always get such great color too. Thanks for posting.

WOT, one hour to the banks?:cool:

Were you targeting Wahoo?

Counting the days till I'm doing the same thing! :bounce:

Ken

bill erhardt - 10-4-2007 at 07:00 PM

Paulina....... It did cross my mind. If a puff of wind had separated me from the boat, however, it would have been a long swim back in.
Ken....... Not quite WOT, but the conditions would nearly have allowed it. I stayed under 5,000 and averaged 28 - 30 knots both out and back in. I fished between 42 - 50 statute miles from the boca. And, yes. I was looking for wahoo and wahoo only. A couple of times on the way out when I went through breaking fish my hand reached involuntarily for the throttle, but I controlled the impulse and ran through them. I only caught one dorado about 16 lbs. while trolling for wahoo on the ridge. There was no sign of marlin.

Hook - 10-4-2007 at 11:03 PM

What time of day and what lure for the wahoo, Bill?

bill erhardt - 10-4-2007 at 11:09 PM

Hook....... That wahoo hit a wire rigged purple and black Doorknob marlin feather around 1:30 p.m.

capt. mike - 10-5-2007 at 05:51 AM

wow Bill - you rock amigo!

nice Wahoo - best tasting fish i ever ate!

we'll be in lopez sat for a medical clinic - you around? stop by if so, end of the runway.
bring some wahoo, we have a hibachi.........:biggrin:

4baja - 10-5-2007 at 06:31 AM

nice pics bill. what brand of boat is that? i would like to take mine across and fish that area.:coolup:

bill erhardt - 10-5-2007 at 07:09 AM

Mike..... I won't be in PLM this weekend. It looks like the wind is going to blow. From now through December, though, when conditions allow I will be there every chance I get.

4baja......My boat is a Bluewater 2150. Here is a picture taken by a friend as we waited for the starting gun for a tournament in Loreto this spring.

torneo (Medium).jpg - 47kB

fishwhenican - 10-8-2007 at 06:54 PM

Thanks for the report Bill, Looking forward to our trip down there, two weeks and counting.

BajaBruno - 10-8-2007 at 08:58 PM

Thanks, Bill. More questions---how fast were you trolling? Not 28-30 k? That was just to get there, I assume. Do you rig your line with a torpedo weight to keep it down at wahoo trolling speed?

Let me know if you want a buddy boat. I'll drag mine up there.

bill erhardt - 10-9-2007 at 07:20 AM

Bruno........ I was trolling 8 - 12 knots with no weight, just spectra to lures rigged with 14", or so, SS cable. I have tried high speed trolling with in-line weights to keep the lures down and don't like it much. It requires heavier tackle with the drag set tighter and then when you hook up you have all that weight between you and the fish. It is always nice to have another boat in the area. You should come up. For all the renown of Thetis Bank, I often don't see another sport fishing boat all day. For the next three months I will be watching Buoyweather and fishing the Pacific ridge whenever there is a window of good weather.