BajaNomad

How to Get Around the Traffic Jam between Ensenada & Maneadero Southbound

bajabound2005 - 10-5-2007 at 08:01 AM

Due to the construction for the widening of the Carratera in Chapultapec, between Ensenada and Maneadero there are new huge traffic backups (SOUTHBOUND ONLY) lasting up to and over an hour. We've found a "go around" that will save you LOTS of time. Southbound, turn LEFT at the Joker Hotel. There is a traffic signal there. It is Blvd Technologia. Take that road as far as you can (about 2 blocks) to the T and turn RIGHT. You are now on a road that parallels the Carratera. Take that road as far as you can to another T (note there are 3-4 stop signs along here, be on the lookout for them) maybe 1.5 miles. There will be a Calimax on your right. Turn RIGHT again. Just past the Calimax is yet another "hidden" stop sign. Keep going straight to the traffic signal. At the signal turn LEFT and you're back on the Carratera just past all the construction. Caution on this left turn because it's yield to oncoming traffic on your green light. Also -- when on the road that parallels the Carratera, as you approach the Calimax you may come across some traffic -- so far (in our experience) it's been left turning traffic and you want to turn right. So you can cut through the Calimax parking lot (don't you hate it when people do that?)

David K - 10-5-2007 at 09:19 AM

Wonderful, thank you!

bajabound2005 - 10-5-2007 at 10:07 AM

and if I could figure out how to use google maps like you others do I'd draw a picture!

Is this what you are saying?

fdt - 10-5-2007 at 05:05 PM

markshark - 10-5-2007 at 06:01 PM

excellent!
gracias amigo

roundtuit - 10-5-2007 at 06:25 PM

Going through Oct 15 th Sunday. Do I need to take this on a weekend and how is it pulling a utility trailer.Thanks Ron

bajabound2005 - 10-5-2007 at 06:32 PM

the detour is all paved, no problem towing (just watch for those stop signs!)

jerry - 10-5-2007 at 06:39 PM

thanks fdt and bajabound ill be using the directions

fdt - 10-5-2007 at 06:49 PM

Thanks to Bajabound2005, I had totaly forgotten to post since I know about this traffic jam, we went camping on the water at Estero Punta Banda and had that traffic, it is ridiculous.

danaeb - 10-5-2007 at 06:54 PM

Don't ya just love this forum? I'm heading south in two weeks for La Paz and never would have known about this. Now I do, and have a custom 'FDT' map to boot! Thanks guys.

Dana

DENNIS - 10-5-2007 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Thanks to Bajabound2005, I had totaly forgotten to post since I know about this traffic jam, we went camping on the water at Estero Punta Banda and had that traffic, it is ridiculous.

It's progress. It's your tax pesos at work and your children will appreciate it. Tell them to be patient.

is the construction still going on?

BajaVida - 2-1-2008 at 06:29 PM

we are headed that way in a week

bajabound2005 - 2-1-2008 at 08:27 PM

I guess I should have updated this! No, it's long over but you get to enjoy the benefit of our having suffered through it for several weeks!

DENNIS - 2-2-2008 at 07:18 AM

Actually, traffic moves through there at a good clip, even in the morning rush. They've coordinated the semaforos to the point that, given normal traffic, one can go from Chapultepec to the big Gigante in Ensenada without getting a red light. It works for me at around forty miles per hour.

OK...Everybody laugh at once but, it's true.

thebajarunner - 2-2-2008 at 09:07 AM

This is very good news.
Went through there a number of time last Spring and Summer,
it was a candidate for my personal "worst parts of the Carreterra" list.

(Don't know why Baja Vida is worried about this, he lets me drive and he just hangs his head out the window like my big old yellow lab and lets the wind blow his hair and beard back around his ears. Sorta cute, actually)

David K - 2-2-2008 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

(Don't know why Baja Vida is worried about this, he lets me drive and he just hangs his head out the window like my big old yellow lab and lets the wind blow his hair and beard back around his ears. Sorta cute, actually)

I would love a photo of that!:lol::o

So bring your camera, David

thebajarunner - 2-2-2008 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

I would love a photo of that!:lol::o

We already invited you to join our motley crue.
So come along and see for yourself.

David K - 2-2-2008 at 10:57 AM

Stop by in Oceanside on your way south and I will take it! Lunch or coffee & pie again perhaps?

I DO NOT look like a yellow lab.

BajaVida - 2-2-2008 at 11:43 PM

A friend told me that I looked like a Mexican Wolf Blitzer--just call me Lobo Blitzer. My wife overheard someone say I looked like John Ritter and a woman told me I looked like Al Pacino. I do not look like Mali (the yellow lab).

bajabound2005 - 2-3-2008 at 12:13 AM

what are you driving? We'll have a look when you go by; and well, we'll be the judges?

Driving a silver F-150 with a slick matching shell

thebajarunner - 2-4-2008 at 09:17 AM

Watch for us about 3 p.m. this coming Friday right after we leave the Comercial Mex. store.

B.V. will be hanging out the right side window looking forlorn (since we don't allow him to drink beer on the road)

DENNIS - 2-4-2008 at 10:33 AM

Quote:

B.V. will be hanging out the right side window looking forlorn (since we don't allow him to drink beer on the road)

What? An alert co-pilot requires Pacifico.