BajaNomad

The complete tire service kit

Sharksbaja - 10-10-2007 at 01:44 AM

This has been discussed but not in it's entirety. I was renewing my kit and thought I'd share what keeps those big tires goin' when I'm way out there..

The list:
1 matching tire
1 smaller rim & tire
1 inner tube to match tire size
Handful of tire stems with valves and caps

2 Butyl rubber sheets 1/8" X 12"X12" & 1/4"X12'X12"
Handful of sticky tire plugs
2 cans butyl rubber cement
2 big tubes of green stuff(sealer)
2 big cans of fix-a-flat

2 tire spoons and a crowbar
1 tire mallet
1 come-along (for seating tire beads)
Valvestem installer tool
2 air filler nozzles, one w/no hands fill
2 air gauages, one dial type
Tire plug installer/reamer tool
Coarse sandpaper
Liquid soap

Hi-lift Jack
Sandfoot for jack
Bottle Jack
Floor jack
Large torquewrench and 2 x-tra sockets
Two jack stands
4'X4' Piece of plywood

110V 3 cfm air compressor(for inverter)
50'air hose
12v truck air tire inflater

This is pretty comprehensive and would cover most problems incurred. Of course you can manage much w/o all this but one nevr knows what will happen. Watch those sidewalls!;D

[Edited on 10-10-2007 by Sharksbaja]

4baja - 10-10-2007 at 06:13 AM

you forgot to add, drive a TOYOTA!!!:coolup:

Taco de Baja - 10-10-2007 at 07:30 AM

Don't forget the other important item: Duct Tape. For those really BIG holes

I don't have Tyre Pliers yet but they look like a great alternative to tire spoons :yes:

[img]http://www.vpc4x4.com/accessoires/images/raids/02TY01_maxi.jpg?[/img]

Hook - 10-10-2007 at 08:52 AM

I've always relied on 2 cans of spare air and two spares. Bottle jack and Hi-lift. If that cant get you to the next llantera (maybe the best bargain still going in Mexico), then you must be the unluckiest person in the world.

Hell, carrying all that stuff is enough to stress the tires on any vehicle.

Hook - 10-10-2007 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
you forgot to add, drive a TOYOTA!!!:coolup:

Problem is, aftering packing all that, you'd have no room for anything else in a Toyota. :lol::P:P:P:P:P:lol::lol::lol:

Dave - 10-10-2007 at 09:28 AM

Anyone here use gasoline to reseat a tire?

Or:

Anyone know of someone who tried to used gasoline to reseat a tire...and lived to tell about it? :lol:

TacoFeliz - 10-10-2007 at 10:52 AM

Nope on the gasoline reseating method, but I have had success using a tow strap and a hi-lift jack handle as a Spanish windlass squeezing around the tread of the tire while using a sparkplug "chuffer" air compressor to fill it. It took a few tries.

Can also testify that two grown men jumping on the sidewall of a deflated 33" tire can break the bead from the rim in a pinch, with some potential for falling off and maiming yourself. Tire irons would be a better idea.

BajaBruno - 10-10-2007 at 10:54 AM

I'm not running 85MPH over raw trails, of course, but in the tens of thousands of miles I have logged pulling trailers all over Mexico, I got along with just a spare tire, 12v compressor, and a tire plug kit. As Hook says, if that can't get you the nearest vulcanizadora, then crack a beer and wait for a ride.

Naturally, the hard-core off-roaders may want something a bit more comprehensive.

bajalou - 10-10-2007 at 10:58 AM

Have set the bead on many tires with gasoline with no problems. Learned it from a friend who repaired tires for a fleet of trucks. Also have used (and seen used) starting fluid. Again - no problems.

Taco de Baja - 10-10-2007 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Anyone here use gasoline to reseat a tire?

Or:

Anyone know of someone who tried to used gasoline to reseat a tire...and lived to tell about it? :lol:

Works great.

Had do it in Gonzaga with my mom and dad in the late 1970. We could not get the damn Michelins with stiff sidewalls to reseat. A Mexican family came by and asked if we had tried the "Mexican Method"....

We used a very small amount of Coleman fuel and a trail of white gas for a fuse; took refuge behind the truck for safety, and lit the “fuse”. The tire went KA-POW! and was reseated.

Sharksbaja - 10-10-2007 at 12:17 PM

I love it! Good stuff. I have no probs using the comealong to squeeze em out to the seat. Most of the problem was getting enough air volume to actually seat the bead. That's why I have the compressor.
I was once waved down somewhere in Baja years ago. Some guy was trying to break the bead on a flat. So he could patch his innertube. I said why not just lower the truck onto the removed tire with the brake drum. Worked perfectly. I wonder if he got out?

Big tires like the 10 ply mil lugs I ran in the seventies were beasts. The rubber back then was much stiffer. Really tested yer skills. Getting two flats enroute to Mallarimo 30 yrs ago was something to not forget.;)

4baja - 10-10-2007 at 06:00 PM

hey hook, the tundra has more room then i can use.:coolup:

Mexitron - 10-10-2007 at 06:22 PM

Taco--how did we reseat that tire on Libby's truck two years ago? Did we just get lucky with the compressor or did we use gas?

wakemall - 10-10-2007 at 08:05 PM

We utilize starter fluid on the 4x4 trails when we loose a bead. Plug kits and tire sealer cans also work...

Hook - 10-10-2007 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
hey hook, the tundra has more room then i can use.:coolup:

08?

I've got a friend with an 07 Tundra. It's basically the same size as the newer Tacos.

Roberto - 10-10-2007 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
08?

I've got a friend with an 07 Tundra. It's basically the same size as the newer Tacos.

No, Steve-O is just a little guy. He doesn't take up much space, so there's plenty left over for ALL KINDS of stuff. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Al G - 10-10-2007 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja

Tried to order but they are in Australia....Guess I will make my own:lol:

Sharksbaja - 10-10-2007 at 08:52 PM

I like turtles equipment.:lol:

Dave - 10-10-2007 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G

http://www.extremeoutback.com/

Taco de Baja - 10-11-2007 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Taco--how did we reseat that tire on Libby's truck two years ago? Did we just get lucky with the compressor or did we use gas?

Air compressor, soapy water, and a rubber mallet.

Taco de Baja - 10-11-2007 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Al G

http://www.extremeoutback.com/

This looks cool too, except for the $60 price for $5 of steel....

Extreme Outback Beadbuster

Can a bead breaker that fits in the palm of your hand work on your stubborn truck and equipment tires? It can and it does if you use Extreme Outback Products new Beadbuster. Designed to fit any Hi Lift style jack, the Beadbuster uses the vehicles weight to make easy work of breaking beads on 15", 16" and 17" diameter wheels. The unit comes with stainless steel bolts that quickly attach the Beadbuster to the bottom of your jacks base plate. Lay the tire and wheel under your bumper, position your Beadbuster on your wheels outer edge and use the jacks power and vehicles weight to get the job done. The Beadbuster can also be used as a stabilizer foot to keep your jack in place in tricky terrain conditions.

bajalou - 10-11-2007 at 08:48 AM

I have used a jack to break the bead, but that looks like it would work quite a bit easier/faster. Who'll be the first to tool up for the $10 model?

Hook - 10-11-2007 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
I have used a jack to break the bead, but that looks like it would work quite a bit easier/faster. Who'll be the first to tool up for the $10 model?

I could have a model out with lead paint at that price point in no time. :lol:

bajalou - 10-11-2007 at 10:17 AM

I've always enjoyed lead in paint etc. having spent some time painting railroad bridges with red lead paint.

Bwana_John - 10-17-2007 at 09:31 AM

The ultimate tire acsessory for the Gringos in a hurry(*),

3000 psi SCUBA tank, and a 1st stage regulator with low pressure hose and Schrader valve adapter!

From 25 psi to 50 psi with a F-250 tire in 20 seconds, back on the pavement in 2 minutes.

*(arnt all Gringos in a hurry?):yes:

Hook - 10-17-2007 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_John
The ultimate tire acsessory for the Gringos in a hurry(*),

3000 psi SCUBA tank, and a 1st stage regulator with low pressure hose and Schrader valve adapter!

From 25 psi to 50 psi with a F-250 tire in 20 seconds, back on the pavement in 2 minutes.

*(arnt all Gringos in a hurry?):yes:

Yeah, they're so much fun to carry around.

i'll take the pump and the two beer's time to fill up all the way around.

Bwana_John - 10-17-2007 at 12:50 PM

Actually No, they are not fun to carry around, and I have found that getting them refilled in Baja is a PITA.

But Ive usually got at least one tank anyway, and I like little Alu 50's for diving off my kayak, so poppin back on to pavement takes about 2 minutes for all 4 tires from 25 psi to 50 psi on my F-250, and I can do that at least 3 times with the little tanks.

If I was waiting for them to fill up with the little compressior it would take a lot more than 2 beers:lol:

[Edited on 10-17-2007 by Bwana_John]