BajaNomad

Rebel hook issues

BajaBruno - 10-10-2007 at 01:29 PM

I've found that the majority of my hook-ups on broken back Rebels are on the forward or middle hooks. Then, the aft hook whips around and often catches the fish in the eye, doing a lot of damage and making them ineligible for release.

I was thinking of just bending in the aft treble hook points to prevent this. Maybe it would be better to just change the trebles to single hooks. I need some input on this.

Roberto - 10-10-2007 at 02:22 PM

Changing to single hooks will affect the action of the lure. I would bend in the hooks.

Osprey - 10-10-2007 at 02:25 PM

Happened to me a lot so I switched to Yozuris with singles -- action is great, no more trouble with hooks. Singles are stronger too.

Santiago - 10-10-2007 at 02:30 PM

Boy - I'm guilty of releasing fish that has been hooked in the eye by the trailing hook. I crimp the barbs but still there is some damage I'm sure. I think you should have no problem bending the hooks in - just make sure the action is still 'ok'. I've got quite a few broken backs with no rear hook at all and haven't noticed any reduction in the bite.

Hook - 10-10-2007 at 03:03 PM

Ditch the Rebels and go with smaller Mirros or Yo Zuris. Better hooks, better construction.

cbuzzetti - 10-10-2007 at 03:03 PM

What Santoago said, I also have removed my tail hooks with no apparent reduction of hook ups.
I crimp all my barbs down as well on all my trebles. Release is much faster and safer for fish.
I like to catch them over and over. I keep only what I know I will eat in the next few months.

BajaBruno - 10-10-2007 at 03:24 PM

Thanks, gents. I'll try all of those suggestions.