BajaNomad

Computer Tutorial

DENNIS - 10-12-2007 at 06:08 AM

Can anybody suggest a tutorial, online or otherwise, which will teach the fun and games used here, posting pictures....newspaper articles...maps with added directions,...links, so on and so forth? Thanks.

Bob and Susan - 10-12-2007 at 06:11 AM

will we get a picture of the "drums":lol:

DENNIS - 10-12-2007 at 06:26 AM

You just may get a visit, me and my drums.

DENNIS - 10-12-2007 at 11:20 AM

bump

bajabound2005 - 10-12-2007 at 12:50 PM

Dennis - we can help you with pix and articles. The maps -- we are waiting for Doc to show us how to do that.

DENNIS - 10-12-2007 at 04:08 PM

Thanks BB...........

Nobody else here knows anything?

David K - 10-12-2007 at 04:12 PM

Dennis, it has been discussed here a bunch (how to post pictures)... Do a search... I am taking off now, otherwise I would look it up and give the link... Check 'Essay Contest' by Packoderm for the original set of instructions...or, Scroll back on the Photos forum where I recently reposted the instructions... Other details can be found in the FAQ link on top of the web page here.

woody with a view - 10-12-2007 at 04:20 PM

dennis

go get a church key....no wait! really, what do you wanna do? start with one thing and then move on....maybe i can help ya.

DENNIS - 10-12-2007 at 04:54 PM

I'm goin' to bed.

Paulina - 10-12-2007 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I'm goin' to bed.

At 5 pm? No wonder you are wide eyed and bushy tailed at Patty's so early in the mornin'!

P<*)))><

There may be a better way to add a link to a URL, but...

vgabndo - 10-12-2007 at 05:02 PM

What has worked for me is to have the Nomad forum open, minimize it, open the URL you want to share, carefully highlight that address, and hit CONTROL "C" to copy, then write you post and place your cursor where you want the link and hit CONTROL "V" to paste.

DENNIS - 10-12-2007 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
What has worked for me is to have the Nomad forum open, minimize it, open the URL you want to share, carefully highlight that address, and hit CONTROL "C" to copy, then write you post and place your cursor where you want the link and hit CONTROL "V" to paste.

Thanks Vag. I know it's clear to you but, Chinese to me. I'm gonna find a real life teacher.

vandenberg - 10-12-2007 at 05:22 PM

Dennis,check U2U

toneart - 10-12-2007 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo

In the case of photos the size still has to be reduced. There are programs you can download to do this.

vandenberg - 10-12-2007 at 05:26 PM

I have a problem adding a newspaper or magazine article to a new topic post. When the thread already exists you can add your stuuf via the browse feature in the reply post, but that feature is not there posting a new topic .

So, advice please.

Here is my simpletons method for annotating a map...

vgabndo - 10-12-2007 at 05:29 PM

I scanned the map, right clicked on the image and chose edit from the menu. this will bring the image into a MS Paint window if your are a Bill Gates kinda guy. From the Image tab I chose stretch schew and reduced the image to about 45 kb. Then you can use paint to mark up the map, save the result, hover you cursor over the image whereever you saved it and confirm that you are under 50 kb file size and put it in your post like any other picture. Let's see how it worked....

scan0002.jpg - 40kB

DENNIS - 10-12-2007 at 05:31 PM

Simpleton...... Thats me.

I Know What You Mean Dennis

tortuga - 10-12-2007 at 05:32 PM

When I first started here I just wanted a little picture of a turtle under my name . It took me a day our so to find out what an avatar was ! Lucky for me Mrs. Tortuga is computer literate . She showed me how to copy and paste . The hardest thing with photos is sizing them to fit here . We can do that with Roxio Photo Suite which came with our computer .
I must say it is a lot about trial and error for me (with computer) . But it has been good to learn about this machine .

vgabndo - 10-12-2007 at 05:34 PM

Dennis...BAD choice of words on my part.:(

I was certainly referring to myself as the simpleton. I'm 63 and self-taught. Nuff said.

DENNIS - 10-12-2007 at 05:37 PM

It seems this stuff is so simple to those who know. My request would be like asking for a tutorial for nail biting. Hard to explain but, if you're a nail biter, impossible to not understand.
Thanks everybody. With your info, I'll figure it out.

Good Quote

tortuga - 10-12-2007 at 05:44 PM

Vag ,
Like your Helen Keller Quote .
Tortuga:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

CaboRon - 10-12-2007 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
It seems this stuff is so simple to those who know. My request would be like asking for a tutorial for nail biting. Hard to explain but, if you're a nail biter, impossible to not understand.
Thanks everybody. With your info, I'll figure it out.
]

Dennis ,
I use photobucket.com to edit and reduce pics for posting, that way they are still on my server in their original 5mg form and I haven'd lost anything for my own viewing.

-CaboRon

And it's free for up to a thousand pics stored on their server!

Bob and Susan - 10-12-2007 at 07:36 PM

dennis...come on down...

i'll spend 6 hours with you on your computer pre day

oh yea...you'll have to rent a room:lol:

edit...bring the drums
my garage is BIG:lol:

[Edited on 10-13-2007 by Bob and Susan]

CaboRon - 10-12-2007 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
dennis...come on down...

i'll spend 6 hours with you on your computer pre day

oh yea...you'll have to rent a room:lol:

edit...bring the drums
my garage is BIG:lol:

[Edited on 10-13-2007 by Bob and Susan]

Lets see....two hundred a day for a single times six days... enjoy your tutorial.

-CaboRon

DENNIS - 10-12-2007 at 07:54 PM

Six days? Is that all? That'll be a bargain.

vgabndo - 10-12-2007 at 08:02 PM

Thanks Totuga... I like it too, especially coming from someone living in stone silent blackness.

toneart - 10-12-2007 at 08:13 PM

Dennis,

There are some good suggestions here, but you just have to hang with them and learn through trial & error....kinda like the whole computer experience. My problem with software help issues is, the engineers who develop and those who write the help section aren't writers. They are technically minded and lack the ability to communicate adequately....to us dummies. Hey! Good title for a book. Think there's a market?

DENNIS - 10-12-2007 at 08:55 PM

Yeah, Tony..... There's a market for almost everything. Include a box of those Peaceful beers and everybody will want one.

toneart - 10-12-2007 at 09:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Tony..... There's a market for almost everything. Include a box of those Peaceful beers and everybody will want one.

Now you're talking! :bounce:

Lindalou - 10-13-2007 at 05:59 AM

Dennis, talk to Angel he's going to be giving some classes about the things you just asked about. It will be a lot easier person to person. Believe me I am in the same boat as you. I would take the classes too if I were there. Maybe when I get back.

DENNIS - 10-13-2007 at 06:34 AM

Thanks Linda...... Hadn't thought of that. Good idea.

vandenberg - 10-13-2007 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
I have a problem adding a newspaper or magazine article to a new topic post. When the thread already exists you can add your stuuf via the browse feature in the reply post, but that feature is not there posting a new topic .

Nobody replied to this post, so I try again.
Would like a U2U maybe.
Thanks in advance.:P:P:?::?:

bajalou - 10-13-2007 at 08:07 PM

I have the "Browse" button when I start a new topic. That will take me to a file on my computer.

woody with a view - 10-13-2007 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Nobody replied to this post, so I try again.
Would like a U2U maybe.
Thanks in advance.:P:P:?::?:

are you near lompoc???? great friends live there.... i also used to work at the AFBase building homes for the folks....

anyways.....it seems like you're asking two things... to add to a "new" post just "copy and paste" the article or "copy and paste" the URL into your "new" post.

Smoke - 10-13-2007 at 09:15 PM

copy the file you wish to post then paste it in to the message block after you start the new thread

vandenberg - 10-14-2007 at 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
I have the "Browse" button when I start a new topic. That will take me to a file on my computer.

Lou, the browse feature is not there when you initiate a post, only when you reply to one. That's what I was refering to..
However, I have it figured out after some trial and error, by copying and pasting.
Thanks guys.:yes::yes:

bajalou - 10-14-2007 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

Lou, the browse feature is not there when you initiate a post, only when you reply to one. That's what I was refering to..
However, I have it figured out after some trial and error, by copying and pasting.
Thanks guys.:yes::yes:

Sorry vandenberg, but when I start a new post the "Browse" button is there. Don't know why it isn't for you. The only time I don't have it is if I do a quick reply at the bottom of a post.

vandenberg - 10-14-2007 at 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
Lou is correct.
The browse button is there when starting a new thread.
When replying to a thread in progress it is there unless using the quick reply.

Can you do a screen capture of what you are seeing and post that?
Hose.
Now if I click the new topic on the bottom of this post the browse feature is there.
However if I start with the Nomad forum and go to, for exemple Baja news, and go to the new topic box on the top right, the browse feature is not there.
So if you want to change topics and start a new one how do you do it without copying and pasting ?
Hope this is clear, otherwise send me a U2U and we figure it out. Or you can clear it up for me and maybe others on this thread.:?::?:

vandenberg - 10-14-2007 at 03:22 PM

OK folks,
Apologies to whomever it applies.
The "NO " browse feature only doesn't show on the off topic thread. Sorry ! Sorry !:saint::saint:

vandenberg - 10-14-2007 at 03:24 PM

BTW, My signature should explain it all.:P:P:lol::lol: