BajaNomad

'It was like 'Jaws'' — 844-pound shark caught, Florida.

bajabound - 10-15-2007 at 10:10 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21302061/

wornout - 10-15-2007 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21302061/

Great, glad it was caught in Florida so now we can rest assured it will not make it to Baja, which is what this forum is about.

Fausto - 10-17-2007 at 11:34 PM

So now that this is a subject......... what kind of shark in the Sea of Cortez is good eating? how to fix it? batered in tacos? steaks? ceviche? what is the minimun size for the taking? prefere bait? what's the secret?
Fausto.

Barry A. - 10-18-2007 at 07:51 AM

Baja Bound------

Gulf of Mexico/Sea of Cortez--------it is close enough to Baja to be of interest, it seems to me. Any story that involves sea creatures of that size is of interest to ANYONE who swims in the sea, including we NOMADS.

Thanks for posting.

Barry

elizabeth - 10-18-2007 at 09:40 AM

Since it looks like this thread is staying even though it's not specific to Baja, I think I'll weigh in. I found the account of the capture and kill and display to be very disturbing. Just what was the reason that this shark had to be fought for that length of time and killed?

Anyone who thinks it's cool should contemplate the following:

"As with most shark species, Mako Sharks are particularly susceptible to overfishing because they have long life cycles, resulting in the species being fished twice as fast as they are able to produce. Mako Sharks mature in seven to twelve years and only then produce small litters of baby sharks in their lifetime.

According to the World Wildlife Federation (WWF) the top 10 most endangered species are:
Black Rhino
Giant Panda
Tiger
Beluga Sturgeon
Goldenseal
Alligator Snapping Turtle
Hawksbill Turtle
Big Leaf Mahogany
Green-Cheeked Parrot
Mako Shark"

JZ - 10-18-2007 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Baja Bound------

Any story that involves sea creatures of that size is of interest to ANYONE who swims in the sea, including we NOMADS.

Barry

Exactly.

The only shark I ever saw was about 30-40 miles North of BOLA about 2 miles off the coast. We were flying along about 40 knots and there wasn't a ripple on the water. I was probably about 100 feet from it before we spotted it. It was about 4 feet long, black, and just floating on the surface perpendicular to the boat. I had to swerve to keep from hitting it. It never moved!

[Edited on 10-18-2007 by JZ]

Sharksbaja - 10-18-2007 at 01:02 PM

JZ, some would stop to kill it.

Thank you Elizabeth for reminding some here that SHARKS deserve special attention and are much more beneficial in the water that on a wall or plate.
Just think how many people these days make their living promoting and protecting the different species. IMHO anyone who "thrills to the kill" for sharks or big game or any animal(save scorpions and rattlers):rolleyes: should be banned from fishing or hunting.

I'm thinking;....suppose you are fishing from a kayak/boat somewhere in the SOC and then wham you catch a big mo hammerhead and manage to haul it ashore. Wth are going to do with 300 lbs of shark meat. (Don't even say "give it to the locals). It's like... why? Why do this? Same goes for Billfish. Can't we just all catch a trigger and get along?:saint:

[Edited for proper emoticon on 10-18-2007 by Sharksbaja]

[Edited on 10-18-2007 by Sharksbaja]

Old man and the sea

Skipjack Joe - 10-18-2007 at 02:10 PM

Santiago seemed to have a great deal of respect for the 'dentuso', the first shark to hit his marlin on the way back to Havana. It was a mako. He appreciated it's braveness (everything was about courage in Hemingway's world).

It was the other sharks that appeared closer to land whom he hated. The cowards came in groups to steal the remaining flesh.

P.S. Alex has deduced that our nomad 'santiago' was name after this very man. I suspect he's right.

cbuzzetti - 10-18-2007 at 02:45 PM

The SOC is in short supply of sharks. That is one of the reasons there are soooo many stingrays. No predators to keep them in check.

I prefer to not fish for them. Seems like we will need them in the future.

baitcast - 10-18-2007 at 03:31 PM

Its a shame whats happened to the shark population particularity in the northen gulf, there was a time when the waters off Puerticitos,and Gonzaga was full of sharks of all kinds,some very large models right next to the beach grabbing my corvina or seirra.

We use to fish these guys right off Puerticitos bay at night with lights and lots of chum,if you were a avid swimmer or diver you would have never entered the water again:lol:

Around isla Willard right in front of Alfies we saw some monster hammerheads 9' 10' or more,big blacktips and many others,they are all gone now,for shame on us.

Have you ever noticed the incease in the no. of rays in the water on the beach and esle where in the last 20 years,guess what they are the hammers favorite meal!!!!!!!
all control is lost.

Sharks are in big trouble and we no one to blame but oursleves.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.

Baitcast

Fausto - 10-18-2007 at 04:20 PM

So.......how do you fix stingray for diner?
Do these things make decent bait?
F.

[Edited on 10-18-2007 by Fausto]

Paulina - 10-18-2007 at 08:10 PM

Fausto, Have you visited the Bloody Deck's board? Just curious. I think you might like it there.

Stingray - use a cookie cutter on their 'wings' and cook them like scallops. Many times that's what you're eating anyway when you order scallops in a restaurant down there.

Baitcast, I remember those days too, when the Thresher sharks were so thick in Bahia, one would have to motor his panga with care so a Thresher wouldn't land inside. They would be jumping out of the water everywhere.

We would go out with Pepe Smith when we didn't have our boat. He would get so nervous when I would have to go overboard to take care of business, for fear of sharks. Now it's jelly fish that bug me, but the lack of sea turtles is another subject.

One year some fishermen caught way more than they should have and were offing it to the locals. They pulled up to our college group and figured we could use the meat and dumped enough threshers on the patio to cover a large kitchen table three sharks high. It was a gross display of why there aren't anymore around. We had thresher burritos for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a week.

I have a photo of that shark table somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it.

P<*)))><

edit: spelink

[Edited on 19-10-2007 by Paulina]

Fausto - 10-18-2007 at 10:39 PM

Thanks Paulina, I am familiar with that board but I am more in to baja than fishing; I ask those things because if I catch one, I do not want it to go tho waste and figure on enjoying a meal instead. I'll have to try the stingray like you say, thanks.
In BOLA I met a local they call payaso, he told me he used to fish the shark comercially and desimated the population, he did not look comfortable with his part in it; he said it was the Asian market demand.

"One year some fishermen caught way more than they should have and were offing it to the locals. They pulled up to our college group and figured we could use the meat and dumped enough threshers on the patio to cover a large kitchen table three sharks high. It was a gross display of why there aren't anymore around. "
Totally sad and this kind of action still hapens today, what a shame.

[Edited on 10-19-2007 by Fausto]

on another 'note' :

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2007 at 11:14 AM

Oh the shark has such teeth, dear
And he shows them pearly white
You know when the shark bites
with his teeth, dear
Scarlet billows start to spread

Natalie Ann - 10-19-2007 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Oh the shark has such teeth, dear