BajaNomad

Big clams and lobster in BOLA?

Fausto - 10-16-2007 at 10:52 PM

Last time I was in BOLA we camped just north of the fort on the road to la gringa and I picked up some clam shells that were pretty impresive, they formed a clam larger than my hands cuped together! the guy that was there said they were harvested by previous campers in the area but that was it! can anyone here share in the clues to finding some clams like that? these were not Geoducks but I'd like to find some of the almejas chiludas too.
How's BOLA for lobster? I know there are some restrictions that have something to do with nationality but it is not a problem for me. I have to go back before the year is over and would like to make the most of it when I go, thanks.
I wouls apreciate some feedback.
Thanks.
Fausto

[Edited on 10-17-2007 by Fausto]

Bwana_John - 10-17-2007 at 07:04 AM

Hey Fausto,
Is that you? (from the FALFiles)

Bwana John

[Edited on 10-18-2007 by Bwana_John]

Baja&Back - 10-17-2007 at 10:04 AM

Actually, they are Goeducks. There is a commercial fishery in the bay for export to Japan.
Ask locally, but I dont think you can find them above the low water mark anymore.
Lobster, I dont know about.

marv sherrill - 10-17-2007 at 10:12 AM

They are venus clams - you can get them in the muds flats occasionally, but diving for them on sandy bottoms is the easiest - need to look for the siphons - kind of like pismos
Lobsters are still abundant on La Guarda island but pretty rare on the local islands and shoreline

comitan - 10-17-2007 at 11:18 AM

whistler

How about a report on how the Red Tide has affected your area.

Fausto - 10-17-2007 at 01:20 PM

Hey Bwana! yep, the one and only me:D; how are you doing? did you undergo a medical procedure? I remember you mentioned that on the Files, I hope you're doing well bud. Nice clams by the way, were is the stash?
Thanks for the heads up on the cooperativas, I'll make sure to watch out for that.
Angel de la guarda will require of me a bigger boat but for lobster I might get the wife to budge.
Thanks.
Fausto.

Bwana_John - 10-17-2007 at 01:54 PM

Fausto,
Good to hear from you. Yes, I had a full right hip replacement at the end of May.
Im riding my bike and swiming every day, with no pain the leg. Im not walking so well, but hey, no pain!
We will be down in Gonzaga Bay for the last half November, and have 2 other longer trip planned for this winter/spring.
The trick to the clams is reconizing the snorkels in shallower water (~1m-3m) in sand. They look like 2 small cigerrett butts 1cm apart, white inside with a black ring.
Id much rather be eating rock scallops, however.:yes:
When are you heading to BOLA? Im glad you and family had a good time at BOLA, is it as built up as everybody says? sounds like you can still camp out by Punta La Gringa.
We are dreading the paving of the road to Gonzaga.

[Edited on 10-18-2007 by Bwana_John]

Minnow - 10-17-2007 at 02:04 PM

Taking shell fish is illegal.

Bwana_John - 10-17-2007 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow

Yep, and so is collecting sea shells, fossils, whale bones, arrowheads, spearing on SCUBA, driving on the beach.. what else?:rolleyes:

Damn, its getting hard to find a good safari these days;D

Paulina - 10-17-2007 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_John

....Im glad you and family had a good time at BOLA, is it as built up as everybody says? sounds like you can still camp out by Punta La Gringa.

Bwana_John,
For up to date info on Bahia de Los Angeles from a full time resident, check out Mia's website. A great wealth of information, and yes, depending on the last time you were there, the town is getting "built up".
P<*)))><

http://www.bahiadelosangeles.info/

tripledigitken - 10-17-2007 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_John
Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow

Yep, and so is collecting sea shells, fossils, whale bones, arrowheads, spearing on SCUBA, driving on the beach.. what else?:rolleyes:

How do you decide which laws in Mexico you will follow?

Ken

:?::?::?::?:

[Edited on 10-17-2007 by tripledigitken]

Fausto - 10-17-2007 at 05:22 PM

c'mon people, ease up, besides, we all know that it is illegal only because someone else wants to sell it to you at a premium. I personally see nothing wrong with it unless it was say.... an endangered species and you knew it or you were simply wasting it.
Bwana, it is good to hear you're up and running bud, you have to clue me in on were the spot is, I love shell fish but I can't swim so I will have to recruit some one to go with me and put them to work:lol:.
I am going to be in Baja in November too but I do not have a date yet. It will probably be BOLA and I am looking for a second vehicle to join me 'cause I would like to explore bahia de las animas and san francisquito, have you been there?

Sharksbaja - 10-17-2007 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fausto
c'mon people, ease up, besides, we all know that it is illegal only because someone else wants to sell it to you at a premium. I personally see nothing wrong with it unless it was say.... an endangered species and you knew it or you were simply wasting it.
Bwana, it is good to hear you're up and running bud, you have to clue me in on were the spot is, I love shell fish but I can't swim so I will have to recruit some one to go with me and put them to work:lol:.
I am going to be in Baja in November too but I do not have a date yet. It will probably be BOLA and I am looking for a second vehicle to join me 'cause I would like to explore bahia de las animas and san francisquito, have you been there?

We're just not used to someone bragging about it. Suerte.

Tomas Tierra - 10-17-2007 at 10:32 PM

You newbies(only because it says it next to you call sign) should take it to u2u's, your just going to pee this board off.

Sounds like you know each other, send an email about your illegal exploits.

Fausto - 10-17-2007 at 11:27 PM

Thanks to all for your positive feedback about my topic, it is apreciated.
:cool:
Fausto.

bajabum - 10-18-2007 at 10:51 AM

You need to head over to the Pacific for Langosta, waters too warm in the SOC. I have spent alot of time diving BOLA over the last 25 years and have never seen any bugs (although Im sure there are a few around). If they were there the locals would be on em and they would be on the menus at all the resteraunts. If you want clams go to La Gringa and dig through the gravel bed up against the hill at the end of the spit at lo tide. You can fill up a 5 ga bucket with silver dollar size clams that are excellent...very sweet and tender. Put a bunch in a pot with no water, add a stick of butter, some garlic and some cilantro. Heat em up untill they release their juices and let em steam for about 10 minutes. Use the butter juice for dipping sauce. San Juan cove and Las Animas have the bigger Pismo type clams and the big goldish ones but they are much tougher and harder to find.

Sharksbaja - 10-18-2007 at 10:54 AM

Hey Bum. you're right that Pacific Spinys are better. IMO, the green things from SOC need added flavor.

bearbait1 - 10-18-2007 at 11:43 AM

I've seen a few snorkling in the east cape area.

Minnow - 10-18-2007 at 11:57 AM

Those a slipper lobsters.

Martyman - 10-19-2007 at 02:56 PM

Where are the chocolate clams found near Bahia de los Angeles?

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2007 at 08:43 PM

I think bajabum meant chocolates when he said pismo clams. There are no pismo clams on the cortez side. They like heavy surf.

Paulina - 10-19-2007 at 09:02 PM

There are no chocolates either :no:;D

Skipjack Joe - 10-19-2007 at 09:24 PM

Really? Last year we heard they were in San Juan Cove. So we went there on a windy day. Alex dove repeatedly while I steered the boat and pointed them out to him ;). Unfortunately we found only empty shells scattered over the bottom and none seemed to be chocolates. He did bring up one lonely individual which rolled around in the bottom of our boat for a while but was eventually tossed over the side.

Paulina - 10-19-2007 at 09:43 PM

check your u2u:)