BajaNomad

wonderful people

bajaboolie - 10-18-2007 at 06:26 PM

I thought I'd share a story about what turned out to be a great birthday. We were in town (Mulege) for lunch and dinner throughout our trip and frequented our favorite restaurant. At lunch, I mentioned to the woman who worked there that it was my husband's birthday, because he was opening some cards from our daughter and me. She and the cook shook his hand and wished him a feliz cumpleanos. Later that day, we returned for dinner and after we were done, they pulled out a decorated birthday cake she baked for him that afternoon and we had an impromptu birthday party with the folks in the restaurant. We were touched beyond words. Were we surprised? Yes and no. It was totally unexpected, but it was a fine example of the generosity and thoughtfulness of the lovely people of Baja. :D

DianaT - 10-18-2007 at 07:43 PM

Thanks for sharing this----really nice. :yes:

You did not mention the name of the restaurant---give them a plug.

Diane

Bajaboolie

Baja Bernie - 10-18-2007 at 07:45 PM

Now that is Baja and her people..............Thank you for sharing

Bajagypsy - 10-19-2007 at 08:04 AM

that story does the heart good!

Gnome-ad - 10-19-2007 at 10:32 AM

bajaboolie ~

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. Baja is indeed filled with caring and sharing people.

bajaboolie - 10-20-2007 at 08:01 AM

The name of the restaurant is Asadero Dany's, right in town in Mulege. A small, clean place that serves up amazing tacos. The shrimp are my favorite, and carne asada for my husband and daughter. They also have a nice simple bean soup. Worth the visit!

Diver - 10-20-2007 at 08:10 AM

Ah Danny's; of course !!
They are great at taking care of little kids and old farts.

But then; it could have happened at Los Equipales or Saul's La Palapa or ....
Just nice folks all around !!

toneart - 10-20-2007 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaboolie
I thought I'd share a story about what turned out to be a great birthday. We were in town (Mulege) for lunch and dinner throughout our trip and frequented our favorite restaurant. At lunch, I mentioned to the woman who worked there that it was my husband's birthday, because he was opening some cards from our daughter and me. She and the cook shook his hand and wished him a feliz cumpleanos. Later that day, we returned for dinner and after we were done, they pulled out a decorated birthday cake she baked for him that afternoon and we had an impromptu birthday party with the folks in the restaurant. We were touched beyond words. Were we surprised? Yes and no. It was totally unexpected, but it was a fine example of the generosity and thoughtfulness of the lovely people of Baja. :D

This post is at the top of my list because it is so Baja positive.
Here, let it be the top of your list too:

Bump

Mango - 10-20-2007 at 10:06 PM

Cool story! Reminded me of a time on New Years eve in Puerto Morelos, Quentana Roo when I was invited into the kitchen of a small restaurant to drink tequila with cooks while they worked. Later, they invited everyone who was in the restaurant at midnight to the owners house behind the restaurant to celebrate with a pinata, etc..

As you have found out, one of the best things about Mexicans is their genuine hospitality to strangers and their open hearts. It can be a strange culture at times; but, often it can be wonderful when you are welcomed into someones home, heart, or life so genuinely. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you had a great time and your husband had a great birthday.