BajaNomad

Fire Areas Checking in On Baja Nomads

CaboMagic - 10-21-2007 at 06:51 PM

Our thoughts are with all ... L&T

jeans - 10-21-2007 at 07:38 PM

I'm at the west end of Ramona.....smoke is choking....fires are 15-20 miles northeast from me ...Southerland Dam area to Old Julian Rd south of 78 moving west/southwest.

Nomad MICK is probably under evacuation...if not yet, then soon.

This looks bad....the air tankers were grounded all day here...too much wind and no visibility...nothing...nothing to stop this.

This fire is 7 hours old and has burned 10,000 acres so far, with winds at 30-50 mph...

I'm packing...

Paulina - 10-21-2007 at 07:44 PM

Jeans,
Our thoughts are with you, as well as everyone else in the area. Be careful.
P<*)))><

DianaT - 10-21-2007 at 07:47 PM

Weather reports for tomorrow don't look good---predict more wind.

Pack and STAY SAFE----don't stay too long.

Good Luck
Diane

Eli - 10-21-2007 at 07:50 PM

Holy Moley Jean, I can envision you sweet little home and the surrounding rolling hills, I hope it is saved and you stay safe. may the powers that be watch over you. Dang..........

CaboMagic - 10-24-2007 at 03:44 PM

Anyone hear from Jeans or have her cel number? Or anyone else from the evacuated/devastated areas?

[Edited on 10-24-2007 by CaboMagic]

Taco de Baja - 10-24-2007 at 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboMagic
Anyone hear from Jeans or have her cel number? Or anyone else from the evacuated/devastated areas?

[Edited on 10-24-2007 by CaboMagic]

He's not a member on Nomads, but one of my Baja traveling buddies was let back to his house in Escondido near the Wild Animal Park. His neighborhood survived.

Diver - 10-24-2007 at 03:56 PM

Any word from Bob H ?

elgatoloco - 10-24-2007 at 03:59 PM

As of the 22nd Jeans had evacuated and was safe. She heard from neighbor that her house was OK.

CaboMagic - 10-24-2007 at 04:07 PM

TdeB that is good news!
EGL equally good news thank you!

our thoughts and prayers extend to all who have been displaced and whose lives now will take completely different directions .. its hard to fathom the extent of that many people having been evacuated ...

edited - heard nearly one million households combined were evacuated due to all the fires .. figured there were multiple residents at each ..

Also when someone comes up with a way to help please post.

[Edited on 10-25-2007 by CaboMagic]

Roberto - 10-24-2007 at 07:00 PM

The "left" (North-West) side of Ramona suffered horrendous losses on this one.

Hope Jeans' place did ok.

BajaWarrior - 10-24-2007 at 07:11 PM

Rancho Bernardo, San Diego north county inland took a major hit, entire neighborhoods have been lost.

Only smoke at our house on the coast. Lots of evacuee's staying at Mission Bay in R.V.'s, and Fiesta Island is being used to board horses from inland properties.

Heading back to our Beach House early thirty tomorrow, can't work here because of the smoke and ash in the air.

Minnow - 10-24-2007 at 07:16 PM

Be safe Chuck. This is just an unbelievable tragedy.

BajaWarrior - 10-24-2007 at 08:49 PM

1300 homes lost to date. The wind has switched and the fire is heading toward the town of Julian, which has already been evacuated. Also, a fire at Camp Pendleton on the Fallbrook side has increased.

Unbelievable is right Minnow...

Thank you for your concern!!

jeans - 10-26-2007 at 05:16 PM

The fire skirted Ramona on the north side of the airport. I am directly south of it. I evacuated Sunday night about midnight. I heard 67 was gridlocked...but nobody was mentioning Highland Valley Road..and I drove right out.

I used the same route to go home yesterday while the National Guard was holding everyone back at 67 & Poway road. I'm very surprised that so few people know of that road.

Highland Valley area was devastated. I was in tears to see all the smoldering remnants of beautiful homes....fried avocado trees and burned - out barns.

We do not have water and my internet service is down...but that is minor...just like camping in Baja!

The fire also skirted Ramona to the south....Has anyone heard from MICK? He's east of town south of 78 if I recall.

Again..thank you for your concern...and for all the offers of shelter and assistance. I am blesssed...

Eli - 10-27-2007 at 05:47 AM

Ah Jeans, there you are, whew! So sorry for all those who lost their homes and the tear evoking mess that surrounds you. I am so glad You and your Casita is safe, and you got thru without damage to your property again this year. Seems like I read a very similar post from you not to many years ago. Dang, the Southern California fires and Baja Hurricanes are becoming annual events.

bajaandy - 10-27-2007 at 07:58 AM

Jeans, Glad to hear that everything is OK with you.

I live in the backcountry north of Lake Wohlford. This area was hit pretty hard back in '03 during the Paradise fire. This time, we were really lucky. We were basically in the middle of a giant horseshoe of fire... fires to the south, north and even east, yet they never quite got to us. Four miles away at last check. We've been on high alert all week, but now the fires are moving away from us so we're feeling like we're in the clear. We were under evacuation notice from Monday, but chose to shelter in place due to our well cleared and defensible home. Lost power on Monday, but the house and well pumps are wired to run on generators, so we did that until Wednesday when they got us back on the grid.

My heart goes out to all that lost lives, homes and property in this horrific event.

David K - 10-27-2007 at 10:21 AM

Good to hear from you Andy... as a former Lake Wohlford resident, I know what the terrain is like... my former home from 1985-1994 was destroyed in the 2003 fire!

jeans, besides Mick... doesn't Hook live up there too? Glad you are okay!

DENNIS - 10-27-2007 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
jeans, besides Mick... doesn't Hook live up there too? Glad you are okay!

David.....

Maybe you didn't see my post the other day. Hook claims to be in SJC. I thought that was San Juan Capistrano. Maybe some other place with those initials? Don't know.

Loboron - 10-27-2007 at 10:54 AM

Here's great link for information on all the Southern Ca fires.

http://www.fire.ca.gov:80/

Jeans, Glad you made it thru

Keri - 10-27-2007 at 11:01 AM

My heart goes out to all of the fire victims. We just had a friend leave from Jamul that spent 4 days in his van in a parking lot before he came down here. . His house as yours was ok. God bless all of you as you are trying to repair your lives and properties. k

[Edited on 10-27-2007 by Keri]

SDRonni - 10-27-2007 at 11:06 AM

No public identification has been made of the four firefighters who were first responders to the Potrero fire and were injured. The female firefighter is my friend's daughter. I've known her since she was two years old. She is in critical condition at the UCSD Burn Unit on a ventilator with severe burns to her lungs and burns to her face. She is the mother of a seven-year-old little girl. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

vgabndo - 10-27-2007 at 12:39 PM

Yeah David I'm quite sure Hook is in Capistrano.

Sallysouth - 10-27-2007 at 03:45 PM

Well then, Hook and I are neighbors! So glad to hear your home is ok Jeans! So many others did not fare as well. And I am also wondering , as per Grovers post, what the FBI and other agencies will discover about the arsonist.(s).Talk about a sick bastard..:mad:

bajaandy - 10-27-2007 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth I am also wondering , as per Grovers post, what the FBI and other agencies will discover about the arsonist.(s).Talk about a sick bastard..:mad:

Sick indeed. I have a friend who tells me that the punishment for arson in Japan is death to the arsonist if the fire kills anyone. I think I like that idea.

Natalie Ann - 10-27-2007 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
No public identification has been made of the four firefighters who were first responders to the Potrero fire and were injured. The female firefighter is my friend's daughter. I've known her since she was two years old. She is in critical condition at the UCSD Burn Unit on a ventilator with severe burns to her lungs and burns to her face. She is the mother of a seven-year-old little girl. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Your friend's daughter is a brave woman. I will pray for her recovery.

Nena

CaboMagic - 10-29-2007 at 09:09 PM

Thanking all Dios' for the people & animals who survived and may those who have been lost or lost loved ones in this tragedy be comforted .. Thanks to those that posted to let interested peeps know 'you' are safe.

Words just cannot come close to express the feelings & thoughts about the efforts of the truly brave (great word Natalie Ann) people who come forward & do whatever they can .. our thoughts and prayers are offered too- soulpatch and SDRonnie - as well as those we dont know about.

I hope we never need, but its clear that if we did we surely could count on the countless courageous fighters and do-gooders .. no matter where.

Bajafun777 - 10-29-2007 at 09:24 PM

Jeans, glad you made it out ok and back in ok. I saw the Harris fire 1st hand and it was big and hot. Otay Lakes Road area had so much dry brush and the flames had to be 12 to 15 feet high when I came off of 94 to get in the back way of Otay Lakes Road. I am still amazed that I got my 5th wheel out as they closed the road behind me and I drove up into Otay Lakes housing area and they closed the road going in. That fire was traveling so fast no wonder it burned so much up. Hopefully, the government starts letting the fire breaks be made bigger and let the tree huggers cry as losing lives to these fires is far worse. Later-----bajafun777

SDRonni - 10-30-2007 at 08:46 PM

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers for my friend's daughter. She is having surgery tomorrow to have skin grafts on her neck, back and ear. She continues on the ventilator until her airway swelling decreases enough so that she can breathe on her own. I saw her mom and her little girl tonight. They are doing well, under the circumstances. A benevolent fund has been set up for the four firefighters on her crew who were injured in the early stage of the Harris fire, in their efforts to rescue a father and son who had defied evacuation orders. Please continue to keep her in your prayers.

Natalie Ann - 10-30-2007 at 08:52 PM

sdronni - Can you tell us more about that fund - or should that be handled privately through u2u? I'd be interested in making a contribution.

nena

Sallysouth - 10-30-2007 at 09:12 PM

Yes, Me 2 SD ronnie! I will pray for her. How sad is this.....Just sent the Big One a message.Lo Siento Amigo

SDRonni - 10-30-2007 at 10:42 PM

You guys are great. I'll get all the info from her mom tomorrow and pass it on. Her identity hasn't been made public just yet. I have been told there will be two funds. One for all four firefighters, and one for her. I'll get info on both. The San Diego Community has come together incredibly in the face of this. I drove from Temecula to San Diego this morning...the first time I saw any results of the fire, and what I saw was minimal. My heart goes out to all who lost their homes and lives.

SDRonni - 10-31-2007 at 06:15 PM

My friend's daughter's surgery went well today. She had donor skin grafts to her forehead, neck and ear. Her back has been taken care of so well by the Burn Unit that she was able to not have grafts there. If interested, donations can be made to any Wells Fargo Bank to the Brooke L. Firefighter Fund. Thanks again to all who have been keeping her in their thoughts and prayers. Hopefully, she will be able to come off the ventilator soon. Her mom says that with her bandages, she looks like she's all dressed for Halloween!

Bob H - 10-31-2007 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Any word from Bob H ?

Diver, thanks for thinking of us. The Witch fire blew through Rancho Bernardo approximately five miles to the north of us. We did OK - just lots of soot to clean up afterwards.
Bob and Audrey H

danaeb - 10-31-2007 at 07:50 PM

I went down to La Paz last week for a little R&R. I called my mother Monday 10/22 to tell her I arrived safely only to find out my brother had evacuated that morning from Rancho Bernardo. He and his dog and his next-door neighbors stayed at my house in North Park for a week. Of the six houses in their cul-de-sac, only two remained standing, their two. I went to my brother's house yesterday to return some belongings they had left at my house. The devastation in the surrounding neighborhood was bad. I think there were 1200+ homes burnt to the ground. Hard to believe we just went through this four years ago.