BajaNomad

Shades inflation

Oso - 10-22-2007 at 07:00 PM

The last time I bought a pair of polarizing sunglasses especially for fishing they had Bill Dance's name on them and they cost me five bucks at MallWart. I went back there for a new pair today and couldn't find anything under $14. Sports authority was $30-$50 and up, Big 5 the same. A small sunglass boutique had some no-names with good side blinders for $25.

If I'm going to have to part with big bucks, I might as well go for the best. What do the pros recommend?

DENNIS - 10-22-2007 at 07:05 PM

I just bought a pair of RayBan Wayfarers at WalMart. Polarized glass lenses. 10% discount---Paid 90 bucks. I used to buy the same glasses, early 60s for 12. How times have changed.

edit for stupid question...

Why are glasses refered to as a "pair?" Or, a pair of pants?
What's up with that?

[Edited on 10-23-2007 by DENNIS]

bajamigo - 10-22-2007 at 07:07 PM

Were those the same glasses you wore while driving your Hudson Hornet into the Esso station for 23-cent-per-gallon high test?

:lol:

Diver - 10-22-2007 at 07:10 PM

Costa Del Mar and Maui Jim make the best but they are both over $150 !

DENNIS - 10-22-2007 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamigo
Were those the same glasses you wore while driving your Hudson Hornet into the Esso station for 23-cent-per-gallon high test?

:lol:

Hate to say this but, I remember 17 cents per gallon gas during a "gas war." Remember those?

Pescador - 10-23-2007 at 05:27 AM

Oso, since you are already one cool dude, I doubt that you are gonna part with $150 for a pair of Maui Jims, and as far as doing the job the Ray Bans are really hard to beat. The Ray Bans also have UV protection which is really important.

Bob and Susan - 10-23-2007 at 05:42 AM

ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ray-Ban-Sunglasses-Wayfayer-Tortoise...

sunglasses.jpg - 5kB

Sunman - 10-23-2007 at 07:51 AM

Decide what you want, Google the brand/model, and you will find them somewhere for $10-30 cheaper w/ no tax & free shipping. Haven't bought shades in a brick & mortar store in years. There are TONS of online sunglass sites.

Habervision

Cardon Man - 10-23-2007 at 09:21 AM

Habervision makes really good polarized shades. They are only available on line. www.habervision.com . Much less expensive than Costa Del Mar etc. Worth checking out.

Skipjack Joe - 10-23-2007 at 10:43 AM

The more expensive glasses have better optics. It's not just inflation. I can tell when I tie on a size 18 fly. I have to remove the shades to see the hole, even though I wear prescription glasses. When I use better shades I don't have to do that. The slight distortion of the cheaper glasses isn't noticeable until you start doing closeup work. You know those diving birds far off in the horizon? A good pair will spot them much better. Same goes for spotting bonefish on the flats.

castaway$ - 10-23-2007 at 12:25 PM

Everybody has pretty much nailed it. Ray Ban's are awsome and not overly expensive($90). Maui Jim's or Revo's ($200) have exceptional optical clarity and the differance in my opinion is worth the hundred bucks. You get what you pay for.

bajabum - 10-24-2007 at 03:47 PM

You wont regret investing in a good pair of shades like maui Jim, Costa Del Mar or try Kaenon, especially if you spend alot of time on the water. Ray bans and other middle of the road glasses and cheapies dont even come close to good quality sun glasses. I have a pair of dark Maui Jims for bright daylight and a pair of amber Costa Del Mars for early morning and foggy conditions.

capt. mike - 10-25-2007 at 05:53 AM

Ron White has the ultimate opine on the cost of sunglasses in mall boutiques today.:lol::lol:

but if you want the best here you go.

VEDALOHD Performance Sunglasses

9800 Shelard Parkway Suite 310

Plymouth, MN 55441

800-801-4523

Alan - 10-25-2007 at 06:39 AM

Sunglasses aren't the only thing that has inflated over the years. I have inflated quite a bit myself as well.

I wore wayfarers for more years than I can remember but I never knew they were available polarized. Do their polarized glasses still have glass lens?

I refuse to buy plastic lens because they just scratch too easily. I don't know the facts but I have heard that they can't polarize glass, so makers like Maui Jim and Hobie sandwich a polarizing filter between two glass lenses. My optomitrist told my I had a lot of sun scarring on my eyes so I have invested in Maui Jims and now wear them all of the time.

I don't know everyone that makes glass lenses. So far I have only found Hobie and Maui Jim and I'm not so sure Hobie even still does.

Keep an eye on Costco. I got my first pair of MJ's there for $89 about 4 years ago and my current pair for $189 when Sport Chalet wanted $239

[Edited on 10-25-2007 by Alan]

AcuDoc - 10-25-2007 at 10:22 PM

As I wear glasses I used to carry a set of regular and a pair of shades....Action Optics. Then I decided to try a pair of Cocoons that fit over my regular glasses. Really liked them but have found another brand I like even better due to better coverage on the sides. They are called "Fittovers". Ame cost as Cocoons, $40 at Cableas.
I see they have gone up to $50

Oso - 10-26-2007 at 08:54 AM

I appreciate all the advice. Now that I now what the best is, the only problem is me. I have a terrible record of taking care of glasses, watches, pens etc. I don't wear any form of jewelry. A Rolex would be a big loss. I buy timexes and figure if I get six months out of them before breaking or losing, I'm ahead. I finally got prescription reading glasses this year and am trying hard to preserve them but I still keep a dozen pairs from the 99 cent store at home and work for backup. Do Maui Jim's or Raybans come with floating frames?

Sunman - 10-26-2007 at 10:18 AM

you could always use these...

http://www.sunglassesgiant.com/croakies-stealth-floating-ret...

H2Optix

oladulce - 10-26-2007 at 10:35 AM

We switched to h2Optix polarized sunnies a few years ago. Very lightweight frames so they're comfortable to wear all day. I don't believe they claim to float but they have a coating on the lens that causes the water to bead up for wearing around H2o.

My glass lens Hobies are probably a little clearer, but the h2Optix are lighter weight and i think more comfortable for everyday use. My husband has only lost 1 pair since I switched to these less expensive ones for some reason- sort of like he never looses the 99 cent store reading glasses either.

Hey, I'm glad you asked this question Oso. I paid $90 a pair a couple years ago and now they're about half the price.

These are my new favorites style because they block alot of the light that reflects up under the glasses.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/h2optix-sunglasses.html

[Edited on 10-26-2007 by oladulce]

opticsplanet_1969_187040929.gif - 6kB

Rocketman - 10-31-2007 at 02:25 PM

I like Von zippers not too expensive ....

http://us.vonzipper.com/#/product/