BajaNomad

Getting boat and new trailr across border

bajarickster - 10-24-2007 at 08:34 AM

Jeez, these fires look BAD! US news covers to to border and nothing further south. They always mention "fires burning down to the Mexican border" as if it stops there!

Question to all nomads who have brought boats across border: I bought a 26 ft Bayliner in San Diego. Having a trailer made in SD as we speak. I have a guy who will tow it down to La Paz on my new trailer. He's a professional and has insurance etc. He'll be heading south with boat on Nov 28th. I'm in Colorado and can't get licence for trailer since it has to be inspected in Colo. I don't live in Cal, so what do I do? Can I cross with tempory tag? Don't have much time. Boat is registered in Colo and I have paperwork, title, bill of sale etc. It's the trailer thats the concern. If I cross with temp tag, what do I do in BCS when I arrive. I'll only be using the trailer in La Paz twice a year, to put in marina and take out for summer. Otherwise it will be sitting in dry storage, not on road at all

I'll be heading to our new digs in La Paz on Nov 25, driving down and will be spending a night with Bajadock at his new place in Ensenada, if the fires haven't gotten to him!

Any help would be mucho appreciated. Thanks and those of you up north, be safe!

bajarickster

Al G - 10-24-2007 at 08:42 AM

License it in CA...or Nevada or South Dakota...where you only need a mailing address.

Dave - 10-24-2007 at 12:04 PM

Ask your builder or towing company if they'll register it for you. It will be a permanent license so you won't have to renew and they won't be getting renewal notices.

BajaWarrior - 10-24-2007 at 01:41 PM

As a new fabricated trailer for California it has to be taken to the DMV for Verification and an assigned Vin # I.D.

But it is very inexpensive, the tax will get you though.

But yes, ask your builder to perform this service if at all possible.

[Edited on 10-24-2007 by BajaWarrior]

Bob and Susan - 10-24-2007 at 04:10 PM

i just bought a new trailer this year

the builder will only be able register it in california
and you do need to pay renewal fees on a trailer with permanate plates

to register it in colorado you'll need to get a "new manufacture paper" from the builder..it's called an MSO or something like that

then the state probably won't need to inspect it with that paper
you'll need to call them

the border guys WILL check the registration if you don't have plates
then what do you do?????
you NEED to register it