BajaNomad

Finally moved in - La Paz

BMG - 10-28-2007 at 08:28 AM

Well, we finally moved into the house a few days ago. The trip down with the trailer full of household goods was uneventful except for the trailer tire blow out. Never thought to check and see if the lug nuts were the same size as the Blazer's lug nuts. Guess what? They're not. Finally got them all off and changed the tire but what a hassle.

Many thanks to bajawarrior for all his help and directions on crossing the border. Went through the east entry in Mexicali. Was a breeze. Customs took a quick peek in the crammed trailer and backed away for fear of something falling on him. I gave him an abbreviated list of the household goods that were inside and he sent me to the bank in the parking lot. Cost a little less than U$140 and took about 20 minutes.

Getting utilities turned on was pretty painless except for the water. Electricity, phone, even dsl were up and running within a day of ordering them. The water was a different story. The water company has the billing going to the Methodist church listed at our address. Funny thing is that no one in the neighborhood remembers a church ever being located on the property. Rather than change it and get a new contract, we are now officially a church according to the water company and will be accepting offerings at the front gate.:saint:

Bruce R Leech - 10-28-2007 at 09:00 AM

welcom to Mexico BMG

longlegsinlapaz - 10-28-2007 at 09:12 AM

What area are you in? Must be in town to have gotten services turned on so fast!

No FM3 yet? That would have gotten you a one-time tax exemption for bringing in your personal possessions...but I guess $140 isn't too stiff a tax bite!

Will you be booking weddings, funerals & christenings anytime soon?:lol::lol:

bajajudy - 10-28-2007 at 09:28 AM

WelcomE to BCS!
If you get down to San Jose(and you know you will be coming to Costco or Home Depot) please look me up.
U2U me for directions
once again

BIENVENIDOS

Bienvenidos

fdt - 10-28-2007 at 09:44 AM

Welcome to your new home in La Paz, you will be please to know also that you saved some money on the blessing, since local churches perform quotidian rituals such as the blessing of new houses or cars :saint: .

toneart - 10-28-2007 at 10:52 AM

Being a church could be quite lucrative! Get creative and enjoy your new home, BMG. :saint::saint::rolleyes::biggrin:

oladulce - 10-28-2007 at 02:24 PM

Hmmm, a mysterious church that never existed... what magical properties will that water have?

Please post if interesting things begin to happen- like hair growth, no longer need reading glasses, wrinkles disappear, or you get the urge to swim out to the island.

It sounds like you're off to a great start.

fdt - 10-28-2007 at 07:04 PM

And don't forget that there is a big market on ebay for aparitions :lol:

[Edited on 10-29-2007 by fdt]

BMG - 10-29-2007 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
What area are you in? Must be in town to have gotten services turned on so fast!

No FM3 yet? That would have gotten you a one-time tax exemption for bringing in your personal possessions...but I guess $140 isn't too stiff a tax bite!

Will you be booking weddings, funerals & christenings anytime soon?:lol::lol:

We're about 1km from Marina La Paz. We looked into the tax exemption but is would have run us about the same to have the paperwork done at the consulate in San Francisco plus 2 trips over there. Glad we went the way we did. The tax exemption would probably work better if you were bringing a bunch of furniture (i.e. moving van) down but we've lived on our sailboat for the last 12 years so we didn't have any appliances and little furniture.

We don't have any services scheduled yet but if we're not home just drop your pesos in the mail slot for an automatic blessing. Please hold off on marriages, births and burials until further notice. :saint:

BajaWarrior - 10-29-2007 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BMG
Well, we finally moved into the house a few days ago.

Many thanks to bajawarrior for all his help and directions on crossing the border. Went through the east entry in Mexicali. Was a breeze. Customs took a quick peek in the crammed trailer and backed away for fear of something falling on him. I gave him an abbreviated list of the household goods that were inside and he sent me to the bank in the parking lot. Cost a little less than U$140 and took about 20 minutes.

Your very welcome BMG!

We've taken a sinful amount of materials and furniture down using this process. Nothing to worry about, and you don't have to sweat the border guards. In and out, legally.

tijuana_jack - 10-29-2007 at 09:35 AM

Welcome to Baja BMG best wishes on your new residence and good luck recruiting donators for your church seemingly thrust upon you not by divine intervention but by cespt the water god