BajaNomad

Border crossing?

Muddyrabbit - 10-28-2007 at 07:47 PM

Our road trip from Ohio looms closer, and we're getting excited! But the closer we get, us three that have never been west of the mississippi, realize things we don't know! like what documents do we need to get three guys, one Chevy truck, and three street legal dirt bikes across the border? Are there fees at the border, other documents required, anything else to expect?

Diver - 10-28-2007 at 08:22 PM

First; where are you going ?

You will need copies of your birth certificate and driver's license or a passport.
You will need Mexican auto insurance - get it online before you go.
You will need to get FMT visas at the border if you do not get them in advance.
You will need plates on the bikes if you plan to ride on the road much.
Bring the titles and registrations for all vehicles showing you as owners.

"... anything else to expect?" YES

Mango - 10-29-2007 at 10:51 AM

You can get Mexican insurance for your car just north of the border from several different places. I am not sure of the advantage; other, than being able to get in it in a hurry and on the spot.

I always get mine online.

Like Diver said; you need, a birth certificate and drivers license, passport is better; but, not required for ground transportation until June 08'

Also, if you are still making payments on the truck/bikes you will need letters from the lien holders permitting you to take them to Mexico.

FMT's are easy to get at the border. If you get them in advance you have to have them stamped at the border anyways, so I'd just wait.

bajajudy - 10-29-2007 at 03:12 PM

Mango
FYI I checked on the date for ground transportation and they say Summer 2008 and that they will give at least 60 days notice of the final date. So it could be later, I suppose.

BajaWarrior - 10-29-2007 at 04:46 PM

You don't need to show the titles for the bikes or for any other vehicle, just current registration. In fact, they get a little grumpy at the border when they see titles because they think that your selling the vehicle in Mexico and they dont want to miss out on their cut.

Familiarize yourself with the location of the VIN #'s on the bikes in case they want to double check the paperwork, nothing worse than looking for them when your a bit frazzled.

Where are you entering/final destination?

Mango - 10-30-2007 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Mango
FYI I checked on the date for ground transportation and they say Summer 2008 and that they will give at least 60 days notice of the final date. So it could be later, I suppose.

Yeah, I had heard June 08' last year when the air restrictions went into place; but, then they extended the air deadline, so who knows.

Recently I read that some states are working with the federal government on a "secure" Drivers License that will be good for travel in Mexico, Canada, and the USA for an "extra fee". :lol:

I guess some things the government does are predictable at least. Currently, I'd recommend getting your passport to anyone who may not have it because it opens the door to returning home by plane if you have an emergency. You'll need it by next summer anyways.. so don't put it off any longer.

wilderone - 10-30-2007 at 10:19 AM

Yes, there are fees for the visas at the border - about $24 each. And take a couple copies of all the documents you bring and put them in separate places in case they get destroyed for some reason (gallon of water leaking on the envelope for instance - don't ask me how I know).

wornout - 10-30-2007 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango

.......Recently I read that some states are working with the federal government on a "secure" Drivers License that will be good for travel in Mexico, Canada, and the USA for an "extra fee". :lol:

I have been driving in Mexico, the old country and Canada for over 10 years with a California Drivers License. You do not need a separate license for each county if you have a drivers license issued by a state in the United States and are driving a car registered in the United States.

Who told you any different?