BajaNomad

Oct 30 fishing report - southland

Osprey - 10-30-2007 at 04:19 PM

Another fishing report

Two of us in a 12 ft Gregor got a late start this morning but found some fish and little pressure by other boats in the area. By 7:30 when the hotel charter cruisers blasted by us on their way to the tuna grounds we had already found some sierra.

An onshore wind held off their dangerous wakes and cancelled a soft wind from the Northeast. Several shoreline charcos that periodically feed the fish as they break through, continue to hold tons of bait close to shore– the local bait boats get there early, load up with throw nets, station nearby to wait for the charter boats to take the sardines, fill the baitmen’s pockets with wet pesos.

Fishermen the world over key on the bait, the bait sellers to find what they’re after. We trolled hoochies round and round the lone bait seller while avoiding their customers and their station by keeping a discreet distance. Our courtesy was rewarded because as they culled the dead sardines, feeding fish and pelicans ran for the easy pickins’, stayed tight to the area.

We employed three light rods and reels with line tests from 15 to 20 pounds and they all got a workout as we caught 6 sierra and countless Roosterfish and Jack Cravelle – the water was at times alive with color and movement; the Roosters were all about 10 pounds, the Toros about 15 (released all but the sierra). Any day that tests your arms and equipment is a memorable day – one big sierra tore right through the 90 pound wire leader, one bit off the hook, three plastic hoochies were shredded so I pulled them off, pulled others on.

Best color was bright pink hoochies but we had lots of action on silver and green/yellow.

We were back on the beach at 11 for a swim and a short ride up the hill to my house for the usual fibbing and Pacifico and cleaning ritual.

vandenberg - 10-30-2007 at 04:56 PM

Fishhawk,
This sounds like a factual trip. No baby turtles involved.
Maybe a sierra or two with false teeth.:?::?::biggrin:

doradodan - 10-30-2007 at 07:30 PM

good report

Sallysouth - 10-30-2007 at 09:21 PM

Dang it ! There ya go again, making us all soooo jealous , but remembering the times we did that(or close to it!)Now, are you going to make some ceviche with some of that Sierra?The Best, IMO

Osprey - 10-31-2007 at 06:57 AM

Van, you well know I don't spend much time in the here and now but many of our new members don't know my history, my condition so not to beg sympathy but to remind: There were 7 of us kids, no dad, very poor, Mom worked as a part time cleaning lady. We seldom had real food. At Christmas the lady my Mom cleaned for threw a big party with boiled hot dogs -- she gave us the wienie water. What a treat! Yesterday they must have boiled some hot dogs at the Internado across the street and the smell sent me into an emotional spiral. Hence the factual, if unfurnished account of a real fine day along the shore.

vandenberg - 10-31-2007 at 07:31 AM

Coping with life, the way it's been handed to you, is to be admired.:saint:

Iflyfish - 10-31-2007 at 02:21 PM

What a great trip! You are so fortunate to have adventure like this so close to hand.

I once read a study of Kabutnick sp? kids in Isreal, done by Bruno Bettleheim. Kids raised in communal circumstances, interesting study. He found that the kids passed al Psychological tests with flying colors, very healthy psychologicaly, but he said "boring as hell". No dramas to work out, no character to develop, "out of the mud grows the lotus" is how I once heard it said.

It sounds like you are eating the heart of the water mellon at this point.

Saludos!

Iflyfish

Slowmad - 10-31-2007 at 04:46 PM

You can have your Peter Luger, your French Laundry, your Nobu...
Sierra, whether grilled or ceviche'd, is the pinnacle.

Thanks for the vicarious experience, 'sprey.