BajaNomad

Beware Tackleboxdirect

Diver - 10-31-2007 at 08:01 AM

In past years I have always called this place for gear before I head south to Baja. They seemed to have decent prices and information. Recently, I was sold a Shimano TLD Star 20/40 with assurances from the salesman that the rig had a 22 lb drag and he sold it to me with 40 lb line and a rod rated for 50 lbs.

I now find out that the reel has a max 13 lbs drag from Shimano and try to return the reel. I get the worst customer service I have ever experienced and basically told that I was stuck with it - not their fault. The guy was rude and I will never buy a thing from them again.

Bruce R Leech - 10-31-2007 at 08:15 AM

never trust the counter sales people they are minimum wage idiots that have never been fishing in there lives. always research the equipment your self and decide what you want the only shop price.

Diver - 10-31-2007 at 08:49 AM

Not always the case, Bruce.
At AnglerCenter, Charkbait or Squidco you will talk to someone who fishes and knows their equipment or they will transfer you to someone who knows.
As I learn more about saltwater fishing, I need their opinions less but they can still be helpful.
Who does anyone else have good experiences with ??

Paulina - 10-31-2007 at 09:35 AM

Diver,
We love Squidco in San Deigo, bought two new Avet JX 6/3 reels from them this past summer, plus a bunch of misc. tackle. You can never have enough. It's a small hole in the wall place, wall to wall gear. Everytime we're there we've found it crowded with fisherman. If they guys behind the counter were too busy with other customers to talk fish, there's always someone in one of the compacted isles who would give their opinion on what was going on.

P<*)))><

[Edited on 31-10-2007 by Paulina]

Diver - 10-31-2007 at 09:48 AM

I guess the point I really wanted to make was the lack of customer service.
I have had great service from the others I've mentioned, even with another return of a defective rod.

I wish Squidco would get their website running, and yes, they are ussually so busy that you have to call early to get someone who's not rushed.

toneart - 10-31-2007 at 11:20 AM

Not having any good retail stores near me, I use Cabela's Catalog. I got extensive information on several items using their interactive chat service. It turned out to be reliable and I was happy.:yes:

Skipjack Joe - 10-31-2007 at 11:43 AM

I shop at Longfin because they're knowledgeable and close to work. I always make a nuisance of myself by asking questions and often not buying. Some salesmen know more than others and I wait til they're free. It's not easy to blow smoke in my face.

Whistler, do you know how frustrating it is to have your reel freeze up on you at Christmas Island? You have a paid one week vacation with nothing to fish with. I had a Ryall reel have the drag slowly freeze up followed by no drag at all. I had to palm drag every bonefish for about 5 days. And they wouldn't reimburse me after my return to the states.