BajaNomad

local knowledge, local winds, sea cortez

murray - 11-12-2007 at 11:54 AM

Hello,

If anyone (especially sea kayakers and small boat people!) would like to share any of their local knowledge on winds in the upper sea of cortez it would be most welcome...

frequency, duration, intensity, onshore-offshore, patterns if any(typical time of day?) and especially weather signs that you watch out for...

i'm interested in conditions november through january

thanks so much,

m.

gnukid - 11-12-2007 at 12:43 PM

I have been sailing the region for the last 25 years on mostly small boats. I have dreamed of and planned a trip like yours but never done it. We have a plan to do it with a large group and multiple support boats on traditional historical small craft perhaps later this year in February.

In general there is a "norte" that is, north, north west or north east wind movement during nov-march. The wind is often slightly variable from the south or opposite direction as night and mornings and weather patterns are localized. Generally the wind doesn't increase beyond 20-30knots but it has on rare occasions gusting to 50mph, I recall one winter. Rain is not common but its possible to receive a downpour accompanied by heavy downdraft wind for a short period of time-30 minutes twice a year in the period. Waves building from these nortes will bring a special close chop all the way from San Felipe down to Cabo Pulmo and the waves will tell you much about what is happening to the north for example at night when you feel swell increasing you know the following day will see wind.

For you there are many complications without support boat such as a large sailboat. I would advise you to find a friendly boat and buddy up as soon as possible though few will be traveling under sail for the distance and motor boats will leave you behind. The waves can be large at times and treacherous, also there often few places to actually land when the wind and waves are strong. Perhaps the most difficult thing is finding a cove with adequate protection meaning you might have to continue at sea and forgo stopping for more than a day. One mistaken lnading and its all over for you.

This year however the wind is not acting normal so far, it is lighter and the weather and water is warmer in the loreto-la paz-east cape region. We are lacking even one norte to speak of yet and the water temperature is higher than normal for this time of year. We can not make much of this yet since its early in the year and we won't expect nortes regularly until about next week. Many times november has seen 30 days of nice breeze but this year we have almost nothing, which to me means its time to enjoy the weather without waiting for wind. I think it was in '92 when we didn't have hardle any wind above 10knots the whole year in the la paz to los barriles region so anything can happen.

It has been a bust for sailing for months obviously with light winds 0-7 on average and very occasional gusts to 20knots through canyons and over thermal situations near sloping hills.

You can visit http://www.kitesurf.com or weatherunderground and look up historical weather readings for the entire year.

wilderone - 11-12-2007 at 03:18 PM

Sailing and kayaking close to shore are very different sea adventures. Your route should be well planned, where you know the availability of water. You should be carrying about 10 gallons of water which should be good for about 10 days (cooler in winter), so plan accordingly. If the wind howled all night and you see white caps and 5 ft. swells (bring binoculars) in the morning, the prudent kayaker does not go out at all. Chances are, the next morning will be still and glassy. Getting on the water at first light and paddling steadily 5-6 hours (more or less) before the winds come up should be your MO, planning on 10-15 mi. per day, 3-4 mph. But the wind can blow for 3 days steady, including all night. The trick is to be prepared for those layover days when it is too risky to be out on the water. A weather radio is helpful. The weather reports out of Arizona will affect the northern Gulf of CA (if you don't understand a Mexican broadcast). A tide chart is a must. Knowing what to look for out on the water is helpful. You can actually see the running tide and can stay out of it (unless it's going in your direction); try to avoid paddling against the tide. If you're on the water, you see some grey clouds building, feel a SLIGHT breeze on your face, and the surface of the water turns to a bit of a churn, then find a place to take out quickly (which necessitates a familiarity with your route and put-in locations). There are vast stretches of beach, but rounding a point, or heading to an island may only offer high rocky cliffs (a marine chart will show you depth, translating to beach). That chop will turn into 2 ft. troughs in 4 ft. swells very quickly. A steady, predictable following sea is helpful if you have the skill to ride it - it will double your mileage (versus flat and glassy - makes you plough through it), and some wind is steady enough to create choppy conditions, but at least recurring, in the sense that it's not chaotic washing machine conditions, so you can handle it, keeping alert to changing conditions. Talk with fisherman who know the waters and the weather like their own children - if they tell you a big storm is coming, believe it. Believe it or not, some days the wind doesn't blow. In that case, you can leisurely paddle as you like - 25 miles/da. If the wind dies down at dusk, and you need to make some mileage, you can paddle at night. Reduce risk by staying close to shore (there is little reason to be far from shore unless you're island hopping), having provisions to wait out bad weather, and having the skill to self-rescue in the event of capsize, and skill for timing and landing through white water. The Gulf of CA has been kayaked by many, and possibly you can find some trip reports so that you can learn the pitfalls of the route you plan to paddle.

Bajamatic - 11-12-2007 at 03:24 PM

I would take a world band radio with SSB capabilities (like the Grundig G5) and tune in to the Chubasco net @ 0730 Pacific Time on 7.294 MHz. Tom AA6TP gives a great weather report in case you're not able to get in touch with any locals. He also broadcasts on weekends at 0815 Pacific Time on the Baja-California Maritime Net on 7.238Mhz.

bajajudy - 11-12-2007 at 03:32 PM

Hey Matic
Thanks for the frequencies and times, I had lost that info.

Bajamatic - 11-12-2007 at 03:45 PM

I think 0730 is the PDT broadcast, so the time might be an hour off on both counts....

gringorio - 11-12-2007 at 04:32 PM

hey Murray,

gnukid and wilderone offer some great tips. In particular, the fishermen are a great source of information - they are usually very friendly and helpful, especially if you speak some Spanish. This last spring several pangueros helped us with important local knowledge during our Colorado River delta crossing. On our last trip in October, kayaking from Bahia Gonzaga to Bahia de los Angeles we had expected a norther due to the forecast and experienced what we thought was it pulling into Calamajue. Well, a day or so later, and south of Calamajue, where there is considerably less protection about 15 pangas raced passed us headed back to Gonzaga (Calamajue is not really great of protection in a norther). A few of them purposely came close to us frantically indicating a north wind and big waves were coming. Thank god for that, these guys know the sea - it gave us a good heads up! The next afternoon we we hit with this: http://www.bajatrekker.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=445

Also, consider when landing a catamaran (or kayak) on a beach - you may find a beach is nice and sandy at high tide, but rocky as hell at low tide. I've paddled from El Golfo de Santa Clara to Bahia de los Angeles (in seperate trips) and sailed a Hobie 18 from Bahia Magdalena to San Felipe (http://www.bajatrekker.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=397) among other coastal trips so, like everyone else here, am happy to offer advice and tips based on my experiences ...

Have fun!

gringorio :tumble:

P.S. The photo shows a wave that had refracted around the point that protected us from the norther - which was more NNW than North... You can imagine the waves on the windward side of the point - Yikes!

[Edited on 11-12-2007 by gringorio]

NortherWave.jpg - 27kB

Natalie Ann - 11-12-2007 at 04:36 PM

Synchronicity

Greg - I was just going to give a link to your site. Be sure to check it out Murray - it's a good one.

Nena

(*edit - spelling)

[Edited on 11-12-2007 by Natalie Ann]

murray - 11-13-2007 at 10:45 AM

Thanks so much, everyone, for your time and the thoughtful responses!!!! Gold.

Nice photo of the break.

m.