BajaNomad

Fishing license glitch

Osprey - 11-16-2007 at 07:28 AM

Mexico may have run out of fishing licenses and boat permits again. It happens every few years - the last time the excuse was they were changing the wording but when they showed up again there was no change. All the issue offices around here are out of them. Your favorite Mexican sales office down here might still have them but maybe not so it might be wiser to get them stateside. The travel clubs buy them in bulk and usually have them when Mexico doesn't. This time around there has been a rumor about suspension (in the interest of commerce) but I wouldn't count on that one billionth of a percent if I were risking my own boat and equipment.

Diver - 11-16-2007 at 07:38 AM

Just got my fishing licenses, boat permit, FMT's for the kids and insurance from Discover Baja. Insurance price beat Lewis and Lewis.

BajaWarrior - 11-16-2007 at 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Just got my fishing licenses, boat permit, FMT's for the kids and insurance from Discover Baja. Insurance price beat Lewis and Lewis.

I was there yesterday renewing my policies, they were temporarily out of FM-T's.

Bajaboy - 12-15-2007 at 02:10 PM

I just returned from Squidco in San Diego to purchase an annual fishing license for my friend. I purchased my in Santa Rosalia and it was a process. I about fell over at Squidco when I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. All they needed was by buddy's name, city and state on his drivers license, and $58.

Get your license on the way down if at all possible.

Zac

bajadedom - 12-20-2007 at 02:35 PM

Yes - much easier in the US - no trip to the marina for papers, then a trip to the bank to make payment and no 'document' fee when you return to the marina for the license....better yet , do it by mail in the US in advance...http//:www.bajabound.com/before/permits/fishing.asp
phone is 619-233-4324 CONAPESCA office in San Diego:wow:

[Edited on 12-20-2007 by bajadedom]

Martyman - 12-21-2007 at 01:59 PM

I recently got my annual license through Discover Baja.
My question is has anybody ever been asked to produce one by the fish patrol? Is the fee going to help fisheries in Mexico or is some hoser just pocketing the money like that cop in TJ the last time I went through? I skip buying one every other year so the price is more reasonable.

Don Alley - 12-21-2007 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
My question is has anybody ever been asked to produce one by the fish patrol? Is the fee going to help fisheries in Mexico or is some hoser just pocketing the money like that cop in TJ the last time I went through? I skip buying one every other year so the price is more reasonable.

At least for a while, some license monies were going to the state where the license was sold. BCS authorities received license money to use to better enforce regulations.

By some account, some of these funds were used to protest the shark norma regulations. Kind of ironic.

There is a new system in place to buy licenses using a web page as part of a (to me) still inscrutable system.;D I don't know if local states still receive money from those sales. Or if they receive money from licenses sold in the USA.

And they do check licenses here in Loreto from time to time. If you are going to fish without one next year, please fish somewhere else.:rolleyes:

Martyman - 12-21-2007 at 04:36 PM

Don;
I might be in the minority as far as buying licenses but it is a strong silent minority. Anyone else out there willing to fess up that they don't buy annual mexican fishing licenses or are we all goody-two-shoes?
The fishing isn't that great in Loreto anyway, it seems like everybody goes to San Nicolas or Agua Verde to catch anything decent.

CaboRon - 12-24-2007 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

If you go fishing in Cabo San Lucas you will be asked for it every day you go out on a boat.

CaboRon