BajaNomad

Advice for a Punta Abreojos trip

MarkC - 11-20-2007 at 07:12 PM

Hi folks,

I hate to add to the chatter about crime in Baja as a total newbie, but some advice from the veterans would really help me.

3 friends and I are planning to drive to Punta Abreojos for the Thanksgiving weekend. A central part of the plan is driving through the night on Wednesday -- we get an extra day to fish. The return would also put us in Northern Baja at night unless we left at an ungodly hour.

I've done roadtrips to Gonzaga Bay, Loreto, and the upper Peninsula and never sniffed trouble. Recent events have made me think twice about driving at night, however.

What's the best course of action here?
1. Scrap the trip and reschedule.
2. Drive down in daylight on Thursday and leave around 3am on Saturday.
3. Go with the original plan and hope for the best.

Thanks for your help.

[Edited on 11-21-2007 by MarkC]

cbuzzetti - 11-20-2007 at 07:25 PM

Abreojos is a great place. Wish I was going with you.

Figure out a way to not be near the border at night.
I don't think it would be a problem to drive at night once past San Quintin. Except for all the other night time issues of course.

Have a great trip!!

Bruce R Leech - 11-20-2007 at 07:27 PM

Don't drive at night in northern Baja.

Diver - 11-20-2007 at 07:29 PM

You should be fine on your drive south but no way would I would head north through Ensenada and TJ at night !!
Leave at the ungodly hour on the way home, leave the night before and get part way, or scrap the trip.

pappy - 11-20-2007 at 08:12 PM

the hills south of el rosario can be sketchy at night....personally, i wouldn't drive too late into the night....

MarkC - 11-21-2007 at 11:13 AM

Okay, we're going to leave tomorrow morning and do the driving in daylight.

Thanks for your help.

I'll let you know how things go.

pappy - 11-21-2007 at 12:04 PM

good decision-have fun!