BajaNomad

Convoy to La Paz

bajarickster - 11-23-2007 at 06:30 PM

Been reading about kidnappings and violence in Northern Baja. We're heading from Colo Springs to La Paz on Mon Nov 26. Going to Alburquerque then Phoenix and crossing at Tecate on Nov 28th, probably around 1PM. Driving 2 cars. If anyone wants to hook up, u2u me or call 719-661-4288. Spending Wed 28th at bajadocs in Ensenada and then off to Catavina, San Ignacio, Loreta and then La Paz. Taking our time to get to the new casa in La Paz. Would be nice to have a group! bajarickster

DENNIS - 11-23-2007 at 06:47 PM

This is something that should have been developed long ago. A Baja Convoy website where people could organize group trips throughout the states. Even the toll road would be safer if people traveled in a pack.

Diver - 11-23-2007 at 06:53 PM

Maybe a post or forum just for the purpose of posting your travel dates and willingness to convoy ?
Responses could be by U2 so as not to clog the forum/post.
Posts could then be deleted after their travel date.
Any thoughts Doug ??

bajaguy - 11-23-2007 at 06:58 PM

I would probably be a good idea to post travel on the board and get replies u2u

Diver - 11-23-2007 at 07:03 PM

We plan to cross at Tecate' around 10 or 11 am on December 18.
El Pabalon in San Quintin for the night and then towards Asuncion the next day.
U2 if you'd like to join us.

fishbuck - 11-23-2007 at 07:48 PM

Maybe I'm being paranoid but is it a good idea to tip of the crooks when you're crossing to border? Maybe they read this forum.

DENNIS - 11-23-2007 at 08:26 PM

Fish...

You've got a good point. Perhaps safety in numbers would override that.

Diver - 11-23-2007 at 08:31 PM

I don't think I would announce my plans to cross in TJ at 3 am but there are usually enough gringos crossing at Tecate any morning that time of year that you would be hard to spot. They already know we are there.
I mainly posted for the benefit of anyone who may want to join us.
The point is valid, though.

DENNIS - 11-24-2007 at 07:33 AM

Perhaps a dedicated forum here for those looking for road company. It may have a far rangeing appeal even into the Mexican communitys.

I'm starting to get hit with deja vu. Did we discuss this in the past?

DrTom - 11-24-2007 at 08:18 AM

Im crossing at Tecate early january.

bajaguy - 11-24-2007 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Maybe I'm being paranoid but is it a good idea to tip of the crooks when you're crossing to border? Maybe they read this forum.

Good thought, Fish.....

Ok everybody:

I will be driving to Baja on __________ and will be crossing at _________. I expect to cross over at ___________AM. Any other Nomads going in that direction can u2u me for additional details.

dccf - 11-24-2007 at 10:33 AM

What about the return trip? A fair amount of the criminal activity occurs northbound.

Do most of us have a pretty firm idea of when we are returning so we could meet near, say Catavina and make the last part of the trip together. I know I would feel more comfortable crossing both ways in a caravan.

Return Trip

bajaguy - 11-24-2007 at 11:00 AM

I will be returning northbound on the 29th of December...see above post.

shari - 11-24-2007 at 11:03 AM

It is something to think about...divulging travel info on the board....it's best to do it in U2U's if at all possible...perhaps just ask for people travellig the week of...... and then take it to more private places to organize.

dccf - 11-24-2007 at 11:58 PM

Bunp. Really think we should make an effort to get a board on this forum to arrange these semi-official caravans. Even if it is a little uncomfortable, we will be more safe.
.:):)

Jack Swords - 11-25-2007 at 07:43 AM

Crossing San Ysidro Tues 7 AM to GN. GN to Juncalito Wed. In La Paz abt noon on Thurs. No stops except gas.

TripleG - 11-25-2007 at 08:11 PM

Here's another. Crossing San Ysidro 2 Jan, overnight at El Rosario, and then to Loreto staying there for 3 days and on to San Jose .

ELINVESTIG8R - 11-25-2007 at 08:16 PM

I'm going to El Rosario on December 15. Come and get me Chota...If the Chota is reading this just kidding about coming to get me.

[Edited on 11-26-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

Paulina - 11-25-2007 at 08:30 PM

Hey ELINVESTI8,
After reading your life story so far, I think the "Chota" would be in for some trouble if they set their sights on you!
P<*)))><

ELINVESTIG8R - 11-25-2007 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Hey ELINVESTI8,
After reading your life story so far, I think the "Chota" would be in for some trouble if they set their sights on you!
P<*)))><

HAHAHAHA - I really am just a pussycat. I am going to do the same thing everyone else should do and never pull over for the chota until I get to a well lighted area that is well populated where there are a lot of people to see what is going on. Why tempt fate.

[Edited on 11-26-2007 by ELINVESTI8]

Martyman - 11-26-2007 at 09:42 AM

It seems like most of the problems have been happening on the way north. I'll go south through TJ but north i'm going through Tecate

toneart - 11-26-2007 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
It seems like most of the problems have been happening on the way north. I'll go south through TJ but north i'm going through Tecate

......and don't forget the "not at night" part.:light:

bajadock - 11-26-2007 at 12:08 PM

Looking forward to BajaRickster and his better half this Wednesday. It has been a few years since I have seen them.

mexwest - 11-26-2007 at 03:47 PM

We are heading down Dec. 30th mid day. going all the way to los Cabos. 2 Vehicles 6 people.

Al G - 11-26-2007 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

Just noticed...No...the three recent was one going north and one going south...and one on beach.

mexwest - 11-26-2007 at 04:11 PM

Sorry. Meant to say Nov 30th. This Friday.

kodiak - 11-27-2007 at 08:35 PM

Hey..thats the day our caravan is crossing:!: There is going to be 7 of us, last I heard. Got some Germans, Canadians, and a few hillbillies in the group...should prove to be interesting!!:bounce:

stanburn - 11-27-2007 at 08:58 PM

Okay, I can't help myself.

I am walking from my house to centro Santiago in the morning if anyone wants to join me. I may be forced to buy a paper and veggies against my will!

Sorry, a little attempt at humor

I am sure I will get flamed for the following, but is it just me or are the people having the problems guilty of "conspicuous consumption"? I don't drive a $30l truck with another 10 - 20 k of toys inside, on top, towed behind. Have you ever thought what that looks like as you travel through these places where locals are strugglling to get by with much less?

Ooops, my beer spilled, Mas Victoria por favor!

DENNIS - 11-28-2007 at 07:22 AM

Knowing the difficulty of hiding a fishing boat on a trailer, can you suggest another method toward inconspicuousness?
Robbery isn't a result of disenfranchisment. It's a result of a breakdown and eradication of morals unless junkies are to be given the defense of desperation.
I appreciate your cogent point although if we have to hide from the morally decrepit, we are going to the wrong place and perhaps that's becoming an all too real fact.

Baja&Back - 11-28-2007 at 08:15 AM

Have been trying to refrain from replying to this hijack hysteria thread. Oh well, was it Shakspeare said, "Much ado about nothing"?

People who are freaking about this issue obviously don't read the LA Times. More of these crimes occur in LA in ONE DAY than in Baja in one YEAR. You wouldnt drive your toys thru East LA at 4 AM. Why insist on tempting the current crime ring in Tijuana by driving thru there at 4 AM?????

Slow down, take your time. You don't need to set speed records to San Juanico or Cabo. There are bigger issues than 3 or 4 fools getting ripped off at 4 AM, but NOTHING should stand in your way of coming down and enjoying the beauty of Baja and it's people!

Reporting from La Paz, ;D

DENNIS - 11-28-2007 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja&Back
You wouldnt drive your toys thru East LA at 4 AM.

There are bigger issues than 3 or 4 fools getting ripped off at 4 AM, but NOTHING should stand in your way of coming down and enjoying the beauty of Baja and it's people!

I havn't heard any fishing reports out of East LA. If they were catching Dorado, you can bet people would be going there.

The toll road victims could do well without being called fools. They've been through enough. What issues are bigger than these occurances?

toneart - 11-28-2007 at 12:05 PM

Dennis,

You have made reference to "junkies" being perpetrators of violence in Baja. It is not the nature of heroin users to be overtly violent. They will look for opportunities to be stealthy and steal from friends, family or anyone else they can con. They don't have the intensity nor desire to commit acts of violence.

I believe you are describing Meth Heads. They are desperate, delusionary and violent.

DENNIS - 11-28-2007 at 12:32 PM

Thanks Tony....

I hope I didn't offend the meth heads by calling them junkies or, vice versa. They're all the same ilk [ jeezo...I hate that word ] to me. Whatever they are, they arn't very nice.

Allow me to expand my above post to Baja&Back......

You have the advantage of traveling the corridor in the manner suggested here, in a group. You take caravans through. You also have a vested interest in downplaying the gravity of the situation, the real danger involved. It wouldn't help your business. Correct me if I'm wrong with any of the above.

bajadock - 11-29-2007 at 01:31 AM

Back to the topic, BajaRickster and his lovely bride are sleeping well at
Bajdock's pub this evening. Their Cadillac and large Jeep(2 vehicles) trimmed with stuff did not meet any crime from Tecate to Ensenada today. Nomads in La Paz are lucky to enjoy these 2 as new neighbors.

Tifosi - 11-29-2007 at 11:01 AM

We are crossing at San Yisdro Friday the 30th (my birthday!!!) around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. We are only going to Bajamar for the weekend, but I will look for other Nomads headed south on the toll road and try to fall in line with them. Sorry, I won't be pulling any trailers or boats, since it's just a 3 day trip. I think we should be OK going down and coming home as long as we travel during daylight hours. I am a little worried about the trip from Ensenada back north to Bajamar in the evening. It's about 25 minutes, but the road is dark and winds up the mountain coast. I keep going over the route in my head and can think of very few places for the bad guys to come out of, but you can bet I will be alert and not stop till I get to the gate of Bajamar.

Tifosi

Hook - 11-29-2007 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Have been trying to refrain from replying to this hijack hysteria thread. Oh well, was it Shakspeare said, "Much ado about nothing"?

People who are freaking about this issue obviously don't read the LA Times. More of these crimes occur in LA in ONE DAY than in Baja in one YEAR. You wouldnt drive your toys thru East LA at 4 AM. Why insist on tempting the current crime ring in Tijuana by driving thru there at 4 AM?????

Slow down, take your time. You don't need to set speed records to San Juanico or Cabo. There are bigger issues than 3 or 4 fools getting ripped off at 4 AM, but NOTHING should stand in your way of coming down and enjoying the beauty of Baja and it's people!

You're absolutely right.

I'll cancel my vacation plans to Compton. :rolleyes:

Dec 28th

awfulart - 11-29-2007 at 04:11 PM

We expect to cross the border, either Tecate or Tijuana on Dec. 28th around 10:00 AM. Heading for Auncion, no particular itinerary other than getting past Ensenada as soon as possible. Pulling a 28 ft Alpenlite trailer with a Gray 2004 Dodge 2500 Diesel pickup. I guess we could be quite visible to the bad guys.

Art and Alice:biggrin:

jimgrms - 11-29-2007 at 04:41 PM

You wouldn't be saying that to prevent a loss in buisness would you??

Quote: