BajaNomad

San Francisco to Tecate

Al G - 11-26-2007 at 10:56 AM

I am thinking of not using the grapevine on 5...maybe out of Bakersfield on 58 to 395 to 15 to 215 through Riverside back to 15 to Hwy.8 to 125 to 94 to Tecate..will be in my motorhome pulling a quad trailer. Has anyone done this or something like it? Grapevine is a hard pull and I hate LA...is 395 that much harder? Did I ask this before?...if so cannot remember good or bad. Just want to try Tecate...maybe.

toneart - 11-26-2007 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
I am thinking of not using the grapevine on 5...maybe out of Bakersfield on 58 to 395 to 15 to 215 through Riverside back to 15 to Hwy.8 to 125 to 94 to Tecate..will be in my motorhome pulling a quad trailer. Has anyone done this or something like it? Grapevine is a hard pull and I hate LA...is 395 that much harder? Did I ask this before?...if so cannot remember good or bad. Just want to try Tecate...maybe.

Al,
Yes I have gone that way before. It can get really windy through that pass and I believe it takes longer. I have gone back to biting the bullet and going down 5 and over the Grapevine. On the very north side of the San Fernando valley, while you are still going downhill from the Grapevine pass, take freeway 210. It skirts the top of the valley and L.A. , past Pasadena and then you cut down south around Pomona. (Look at a map. I don't remember the Hwy #). If you get lost there are several options to cut south. That way is usually faster than going straight on 5. Usually a little less congested. Once in San Diego, you can just take Hwy 8 to the Hwy that goes up to Tecate. I have gone through Tecate the last several times. It is a windey road but you are in Ensenada in about 1 1/2 hours.

When are you going? I am going between the middle and the end of December...........still flexible. Caravaning is always welcome.

DianaT - 11-26-2007 at 11:39 AM

Have to agree with Toneart----the Tehachapi Pass on 58 can have major winds----pretty drive, however. It is an easier pull than the grapevine. Also, watch the weather reports for snow in that area. Yes, it can even snow on the grapevine, but less often.

When you reach the 395 it is a two lane road and often there are some very slow trucks on it. Also, if you do go that way, we suggest staying on the 15---we think it is better than the 215.

If you really don't want to take the Grapevine, you could do 58 to highway 14 but then you backtrack to get to the 210.

If you bite the bullet and take the Grapevine, you can now take the 210 all the way to the 15----maybe not quite as direct as cutting south sooner, but a lot easier.

Are you still headed for Bahia Asuncion?

Diane and John

Al G - 11-26-2007 at 12:02 PM

Tonart...I see the 210 to 57 to 60 to 71 to 91 to 15...think my GPS can handle that...thanks. I won't be leaving until mid to end January...sorry. hope someone else is in that time frame +-...?

Diane and John...you give me hope for the back way...I am sure it will snow in January though. winds are tough, but after Visciano desert winds...not to worried. My plans includes Bahia Asuncion and giving you this bike...things are a little nuts for me now, but should work out by then. May need to call to get through the sand...will stock up for a wait:lol:

Al G - 11-26-2007 at 12:08 PM

Toneart...you being from Grass Valley makes me wonder about your draw to Baja? worked up and down 49 for many years and that is a little piece of heaven...

bent-rim - 11-26-2007 at 12:16 PM

Al G, I dig your name. I travel to San Diego/Baja from Marin infrequently and I prefer Hwy101, it adds an hour or two to the drive, but it's so much more scenic, only a minor grade south of San Luis Obispo(it's been recently widened) and there's several nice towns to stop in such as San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara for lunch instead of the fast food places on Hwy 5. You can access Hwy 101 from Hwy 680. It still puts you in LA but if you can leave the Bay Area around 6 am you'll avoid LA and San Diego traffic for the most part. Hwy 405 is longer than Hwy 5 but it has a carpool lane for two or more people.

toneart - 11-26-2007 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Toneart...you being from Grass Valley makes me wonder about your draw to Baja? worked up and down 49 for many years and that is a little piece of heaven...

Yeah............the best of both worlds. :bounce:

toneart - 11-26-2007 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim
Al G, I dig your name. I travel to San Diego/Baja from Marin infrequently and I prefer Hwy101, it adds an hour or two to the drive, but it's so much more scenic, only a minor grade south of San Luis Obispo(it's been recently widened) and there's several nice towns to stop in such as San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara for lunch instead of the fast food places on Hwy 5. You can access Hwy 101 from Hwy 680. It still puts you in LA but if you can leave the Bay Area around 6 am you'll avoid LA and San Diego traffic for the most part. Hwy 405 is longer than Hwy 5 but it has a carpool lane for two or more people.

This is a good way to go! Al and I too would not benefit from the Hwy 405 carpool lane unless we had an inflatable woman for the passenger seat. :lol:

larry - 11-26-2007 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
I see the 210 to 57 to 60 to 71 to 91 to 15...

This is the route I usually take. It certainly works well for avoiding LA traffic, although slowdowns are still possible at any time.

Al G - 11-26-2007 at 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim

I can see 101...I intend to stay at Gorman (top of the Vine) leaving there about 4:00 am...hopefully Celito Lindo by Noon.

DianaT - 11-26-2007 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Tonart...I see the 210 to 57 to 60 to 71 to 91 to 15...think my GPS can handle that...thanks. I won't be leaving until mid to end January...sorry. hope someone else is in that time frame +-...?

Diane and John...you give me hope for the back way...I am sure it will snow in January though. winds are tough, but after Visciano desert winds...not to worried. My plans includes Bahia Asuncion and giving you this bike...things are a little nuts for me now, but should work out by then. May need to call to get through the sand...will stock up for a wait:lol:

Still think the 210 all the way to the 15 is easier. The last stretch of the 210 that connects to the 15 is not that old, so we used to go the other way----we find it easier and less traffic 210 - to 15.

Do try to time it, however not to be heading east on the 210 in the Pasadena area during the evening rush hour because you will also have major traffic leaving the Santa Anita Race Track in Arcadia.

Gees, can't believe I lived in that area for so long and now do everything I can to avoid it----that is why we are so familar with all those back routes. :lol::lol:

Oh, if you go the back way, also be preparred for strong winds around Mojave---only been there a few times when the winds were not howling. :yes:

We think we will be there in BA when you are ---check with us closer to the time and we will give you our Mexican cell number, and I am sure you have Shari's----we can all come out and move that sand dune--we have a good tow strap ---have made some new friends in Bahia Asuncion because of the tow strap. :lol::lol:

Diane

Al G - 11-26-2007 at 03:25 PM

---have made some new friends in Bahia Asuncion because of the tow strap.
We be amigos...amiga:spingrin: