BajaNomad

Hwy 1 Rides-share...

djh - 12-8-2007 at 12:23 AM

Flying to LTO 12/27

12/29 Seeking a ride Loreto to Todos Santos (or I'll bus) to pick up a vehicle.

12/30 Driving (ride offerred if you need) from Todos Santos North to Loreto.

1/5 Driving (again ride offerred) from Loreto North to San Diego. (Likely overnight S. of Ensanada somewhere....

...... suggestions welcomed on overnight... I need to be to San Diego airport 1/6 by about 5 or 5:30 PM...

Flights were full LTO to LA/ etc. on 1/4 & 1/6.... Driving a new friend's Jeep SUV, and I can offer a ride to an easy going fellow Nomad who'd like to share the scenery and the gas.

djh / David (U2U me... thx.)

Any suggestions for BCN lodging?

djh - 12-10-2007 at 08:34 AM

Still hoping to hear any recommendations on a clean inexpensive place to overnight heading back North...

I need to be in San Diego for a 7 PM flight out, so something before the increasingly risky "gauntlet" (Ens. to TJ), yet close enough to get across, drop off a car, and catch a flight.

Also.... Although I've driven down recently, it has been quite a few years since I've driven North, so I'd also appreciate suggestions on the safest, easiest place to cross the border Northbound on 1/6... a Sunday.

I imagine there is a good road map posted somewhere....???

Thank you.... now out to shovel this morning's fresh snow :rolleyes:

Al G - 12-10-2007 at 08:55 AM

David...I stay in Santo Tomas at the RV park across from the Pemex...The store next to the Pemex is where you pay,
I did not ask about the cabins or if they have rooms above the store, but I am sure you can stay there. I left there at 6:20am and crossed the border at Otay. Got lost twice and was in San Diego by 1:00pm made the grapevine by 4:00...in a motorhome. Should be no problema for a jeep...

wilderone - 12-10-2007 at 11:16 AM

Loreto to Ensenada in one day? I don't think so.

C'mon Wilderone

djh - 12-10-2007 at 12:57 PM

I know you can read :-).

My question said "something BEFORE the increasingly risky "gauntlet" (Ens. to TJ), yet close enough to get across, drop off a car, and catch a (7 PM) flight."

Translation (SOUTH of Ensenada... which leaves a lot of peninsula, right?)

vandenberg - 12-10-2007 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Loreto to Ensenada in one day? I don't think so.

Done it many times. It's exactly halfway from Sacramento and we used to drive Sac-Loreto in 2 days. No problem, but you have to haul **s.:biggrin::biggrin:

pero

gibson - 12-10-2007 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Done it many times. It's exactly halfway from Sacramento and we used to drive Sac-Loreto in 2 days. No problem, but you have to haul **s.:biggrin::biggrin:

ok, but does NOT sound 'wise'

Minnow - 12-10-2007 at 05:16 PM

That is an easy haul in a car. Why stop there though, I would just go all the way to SD.

Well...

djh - 12-10-2007 at 10:28 PM

I don't really want to drive LTO to San Diego all in a day...

And I'd rather spend my last night S. of the Border and discover someplace I've not yet been. Guess you all know that story... ! !

:yes:

Maybe Santo Thomas (Thanks Al G) or San Quintin (Hotel La Villa, thanks Bob) or El Rosario at many folks' favorite..

I appreciate the tips.
djh

David K - 12-11-2007 at 09:31 AM

Baja Cactus Motel, El Rosario (next to the Pemex station)

'5 star' rooms for a 1 star price!

King beds, custom mattresses, large pressure boosted showers, bottled water, remote control satellite TV (Eng & Spn), telephone in room can call anywhere in the world, 24 hour desk service, security cameras in parking area, walking distance to restaurants or taco stands.

805 032.jpg - 40kB