BajaNomad

San Basilio camping

elfbrewery - 12-9-2007 at 04:35 PM

When we camped at San Basilio two years ago there were two main areas. The "North Beach" was scenic, but the tide would go out and leave you beached. The "South Beach" was being used by NOLS at the time and was probably better for boat launching.

My question is: with the reports I've been hearing, there is a question of camping at San Basilio -- where, if any place, is it still open for camping.

Many thanks for a prompt reply, we're hoping to get there in the next day or two.

Cheers!

marek - 12-17-2007 at 11:07 PM

I think you can still camp on the beach (we did), but you just can't drive on it. We stayed on the beach near the islands, or what I call the "skateboard ramp". The normal access areas have been fenced off, but there are places you can drive/walk through.

A NOLS group came in by boat and camped on the southern beach. It also looks like there is a road that heads down to that southern beach now. I hadn't been there in a few year, but it seems fairly new to us.

coolhand - 12-18-2007 at 09:17 PM

I wouldn't camp there anymore, if I were you. My wife and I had quite the time recently. Though its not legal to kick people off the beach, we were there, and had to leave....... El Dueno no esta simpatico....... Seems people have left trash, and some Canadians from B.C. even left their names. Good luck driving the road with Canadian plates, the local landowners and ranchers will confront you.

elfbrewery - 12-19-2007 at 01:33 PM

To answer my own question, we went last Tuesday/Wednesday. No problems. We read the signs and camped just outside the fence. A local couple came along and were cheerfully cleaning up the beach. We said "hi" and "how beautiful it is," but no negative vibes from them. We launched our boats from the beach and had a campfire, but cleaned up the beach before we left.
While we were there, a fellow from Loreto who may know whats going on (third-hand info) said that the owner was intending to develope the land that is by the houses, the north cove, and the beaches we like to camp on (or by). He added that in two years he hopes to start the process and that next year he intends to pave the road! AND, he thought that there would not be any problem camping on his land until houses start going up.
Well, I guess it all depends on how you approach the camping. Some organization (PROFEPA?) does not want anything but foot traffic on the beach. If that's the case, then we support the preservation of the beach and hope that we can continue to use the area for awhile longer.
BTW, how recently was your visit, coolhand? I just want to see how it fits into other information I am hearing.
Thanks for your replies, guys.