BajaNomad

Real, Silicone or other?

bajadock - 12-11-2007 at 09:44 AM

What is your preferred Christmas tree material and why?
Fleece Navy Dad.

Al G - 12-11-2007 at 09:49 AM

Pacifico!!!!!!:biggrin:

DENNIS - 12-11-2007 at 10:06 AM

Nice laminate flooring but, the tree looks like a cake. Hmmm....baseboard heating, foliage in preparation for winter. There must be a real tree growing somewhere in the vicinity.
There's nothing like a real tree that can be returned, alive, to nature after Christmas use which, by the way, can be done with the Pacifico Albert mentioned.

PabloS - 12-11-2007 at 10:17 AM

That looks like my grandfathers house across the street, in Massachusetts.:lol:

Paulina - 12-11-2007 at 10:35 AM

My dad brought home a giant tumbleweed one year for Christmas. He sprayed it with flocking, set it up on a card table in front of the bay window, hung red ornaments on it, and shoved our presents waaay under it so we couldn't pry.

We weren't very impressed.

My favorite tree he brought home once was an aluminum tree that he found in the trash behind the automotive parts store in which he worked. I got to have it set up in my room. That tree, along with the Christmas with the Chipmunks record made for a memoriable year.

P<*)))><

vandenberg - 12-11-2007 at 11:41 AM

Real, silicone or ?

Must be my dirty mind, but I pictured a different picture before I opened it.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

capt. mike - 12-11-2007 at 11:54 AM

yeah me too.........i thot this was going to be about preferred cauking supplies as well.:saint:

tripledigitken - 12-11-2007 at 11:57 AM

I really have got to pull off and visit Punta Banda next time down. From the picture it really has changed. Nice to see the new homes.:wow::wow::wow:;)

Ken

Sharksbaja - 12-11-2007 at 11:59 AM

That is soooooooooooo college. :lol:

vandenberg - 12-11-2007 at 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
That is soooooooooooo college. :lol:

And to think that I never finished grade school.:(:biggrin:

bajadock - 12-11-2007 at 12:17 PM

SB, college? thanks for the age/maturity identification.
I had a 15'(it's a guy thing) artificial tree for 10 years and gave it away when selling my Colorado home last year. It looked great, but, whatapain to erect.

My Colorado neighborhood was the kind that hired Christmas decoration staging companies to do the decorating. Per Vandenberg's other post, that is opulence....geez! No wonder my irish white trash butt left that neighborhood.

Still lots of silicone flying around as I button up the house, Cap Mike.

Christmas trees and decorations stir childhood memories, like Paulina's post. My favorite tree belonged to my h.s. sweetheart Mary Ann's family back in Cleveland. Guesses why that late night scene was so special?

My bro in Denver sent me the Grolsch? tree pic and his colleague remarked how expensive it was due to the # of bottles and the glass layers.

Also tried to guess which city on the photo. Those are new big windows for that architecture, eh? Looks like E. 143rd Cleveland house where I was born.

Chose poinsettias and candles this year for simplicity.

[Edited on 12-11-2007 by bajadock]

DENNIS - 12-11-2007 at 12:25 PM

Jeezo...That shows just how observant I am. I didn't see the bottles for the tree.

Sharksbaja - 12-11-2007 at 01:32 PM

Quote:

Those are new big windows for that architecture, eh? Looks like E. 143rd Cleveland house where I was born.

Whoa, I thought it was Torrance circa 2007

pappy - 12-11-2007 at 06:37 PM

tecate cans hang quite nicely from any branch on the tree....

Oso - 12-11-2007 at 07:39 PM

I did a tumbleweed one year. spray painted white with tiny blue lights, it was kinda classy, actually. Did a live evergreen in a pot one year but it didn't survive here in the desert. I like Costanza's Dad's idea of "Festivus" (Seinfeld) with a bare aluminum pole. We don't always do a tree, but here in the Southwest, my Catholic wife always sets up a "natividad" or creche.

vandenberg - 12-11-2007 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

I had a 15'(it's a guy thing) artificial tree for 10 years and gave it away when selling my Colorado home last year. It looked great, but, whatapain to erect.

]

Have the same artificial tree now for around 25 years.
Never discombubilate it. Too lazy for that and Christmas not that important. After the 1st, put it on the downstairs patio. Leave it there for rest of the year. Birds seem to like it and often nest in it. Come Thanksgiving, I hose the sucker down, haul it upstairs and the better half put her decorations in it. And lo and behold, the thing looks like it was bought yesterday :biggrin::biggrin:
Pics may follow, if I ever get around to downloading them .:(:( Don't hold your breath.:P

Paulina - 12-11-2007 at 08:11 PM

Not quite a tree, but here is a Baja snow man we made one year out of tumble weeds:

We used to use the dead tops of the Century plants for our tree in Bahia. Herman and I would go out "Christmas tree shopping" the day after Thanksgiving, and bring one back for each of us. Sometimes we would have orders for one or two extra, so we would set up the lot in front of his place.

Our tree:

Herman's tree:

Good times.
P<*)))><

Paula - 12-11-2007 at 09:12 PM

torote

This is our tree from last year. We kept it in a pot on the patio all year to bring in this year, but it didn't leaf out, so we planted it in the ground a month ago, not wanting it to die.

Still deciding what to do this year, as we don't think it's OK to keep digging these guys up, and we now have 3 planted on our lot. I like the century plant, but don't see them around here.

Also like Edinnopolo's idea-- anyone have a vintage aluminum for sale?

SDRonni - 12-12-2007 at 08:15 AM

Absolutely LOVE the century plant idea! Our neighbor has one on the canyon. When it blooms, it is covered with bees and hummingbirds!