BajaNomad

lawsuit settlement re Visa and foreign currency transaction fees

marla - 12-19-2007 at 12:51 PM

Hey my friend just turned me onto this:
http://www.ccfsettlement.com/
If you travelled out of the United States between 1996 and 2006 and used a Visa, Mastercard or Diners Club you may be eligible to claim some money from a lawsuit involving credit card companies overcharging you for foreign transaction fees. My friend got a letter in the mail about it. I just filed a claim. You have until May to file a claim.

Hook - 12-19-2007 at 04:12 PM

I got this, too. We chose the option beyond the upfront cash payment as we spent some significant time in Greece, Jamaica, CR (twice) and Mexico.

Wonder what they consider "overcharging" now. Mastercard instituted a 1 or 2 % fee in April on any transaction that forces them to change money. ATM withdrawals are included.

greta-inbaja - 12-19-2007 at 06:29 PM

I also received this in the mail. The easy payment is you fill it out and get $25.00. I just used the link you provided and saw it also includes ATM transactions. Those of us that don't make many credit card purchases usually use an ATM when traveling. Definetly worth figuring. The transactions are probably in your checking account register.
Just thought I would point this out. Since I know I didn't think of it.

rhintransit - 12-20-2007 at 07:51 AM

thanks for the link, will check it out. must be some technicality on the ATM fees as VISA is still doing it. 2% on amount withdrawn last week.

Hook - 12-20-2007 at 11:43 AM

BTW, Mastercard must have been part of the settlement, too. That's who our credit union uses and we got the notice in the mail, too.

The new 2% fee is still active I believe.