BajaNomad

3 Weeks in Baja

9lives - 12-23-2007 at 11:47 AM

We're going to be spending 3 weeks in the Baja next year..1 week in Cabo, 1 week with a car and exploring, 1 week back in Cabo. It's the "middle week" we'd like some advice on. In the past, we've spent time in Todos Santos (enjoyed) and La Paz (no need to go back)

We're considering some time in Cabo Pulmo. Any other suggestions, maybe 2-3 hours north. We don't need glitzy resorts, don't mind "rustic accomodations" but we're not campers..:) Mainly interested in laid back, relaxing, beautiful scenery, good local food.

Any thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

Thx

bajafreaks - 12-23-2007 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 9lives
We're going to be spending 3 weeks in the Baja next year..1 week in Cabo, 1 week with a car and exploring, 1 week back in Cabo. It's the "middle week" we'd like some advice on. In the past, we've spent time in Todos Santos (enjoyed) and La Paz (no need to go back)

We're considering some time in Cabo Pulmo. Any other suggestions, maybe 2-3 hours north. We don't need glitzy resorts, don't mind "rustic accomodations" but we're not campers..:) Mainly interested in laid back, relaxing, beautiful scenery, good local food.

Any thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

Thx

bajafreaks - 12-23-2007 at 11:52 AM

Take a look at Los Barriles, there are several places to stay hotels, maybe rent a house on the beach. We love it so much we bought property there. Happy trails.

9lives - 12-23-2007 at 12:00 PM

Thx, We drove through Los Barriles and La Ribera last time...and loved the area. It had sustained a lot of flood damage but still had a raw beauty; that keeps bringing us back to the Baja area. A bridge was wiped out and the locals had set up 2 steel strips to cross the river bed...custom adjusted for each wheelbase. The locals were very helpful in getting us across...:)

I guess I'm more wondering about the area North of La Paz; which we haven't visited..and whether it's worth driving up that way; or is it pretty similar to the Los Barriles area?

[Edited on 12-23-2007 by 9lives]

David K - 12-23-2007 at 12:40 PM

With so much time, why limit your explorations to just the bottom 200-300 miles of the peninsula?

See Loreto, Bahia Concepcion, Mulege, Santa Rosalia and by all means SAN IGNACIO!

http://www.ignaciosprings.com is highly recommended by everyone!

East Cape

Cardon Man - 12-23-2007 at 05:55 PM

Did you drive the coastal road from San Jose to La Ribera? Worth the trip if you don't mind many miles washboard. Cabo Pulmo is on the way.

9lives - 12-24-2007 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man
Did you drive the coastal road from San Jose to La Ribera? Worth the trip if you don't mind many miles washboard. Cabo Pulmo is on the way.

We did that drive and enjoyed it.

I'm considering David K's suggestion and trying to figure how far north we can go and get back in 1 week; without feeling like we're spending all the time driving..but going a little N of Loreto looks like it's worthwhile.

Are hotel reservations necessary in some of those smaller towns are is it easy to just find something? This will be late Jan.

David K - 12-24-2007 at 08:29 AM

Cabo to San Ignacio is just a one day drive... albeit one long drive, but with a week or more that you have, you can break it up... See the place, it will make Cabo look like a #@%! tourist trap. I doubt you will need anything like a reservation... live dangerously! Get to really know Mexico!!

If Ignacio Springs is full, go to Ricardo's Rice and Beans Restaurant & Motel... access road is at the entrance turnoff for San Ignacio at Hwy. 1. Lot's of signs... Even better, see if Casa Leree has a room open, next to the town plaza, also La Posada just south of the plaza on the hillside.

9lives - 12-26-2007 at 02:42 PM

Dave, Thanks for your help. We've been going to Cabo for 12 years but have only stayed in that area S of LaPaz and Todos.

Does this make sense? On our first day with a car, drive straight to San Ignacio (how far/how many hours/what route), spend 2 days there, then slowly work our way back down the coast; arriving in time for our 3rd week in Los Cabos..and what might be nice towns to stop in? We won't have a 4 wheeler and need reasonable roads. Is crime much of an issue in that area. I just read an article about Ensenada that brought up this issue.

Thanks again for all your help

Cardon Man - 12-26-2007 at 04:04 PM

I would not let the reports of crime in the North deter you from enjoying Baja Sur. David's advice is right on...Drive North! San Ignacio is farther than I'd prefer to drive in one day but it is indeed worthy of the trek. Mulege is a great spot too, it was the final stop of my first ever Baja road trip way back in the mid-90's ( ha ha ). A tour of the cave paintings at La Trinidad is a fun day trip out of Mulege. If you visit during the winter months a side trip to Mag Bay for some whale watching would be fun.

Pescador - 12-26-2007 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 9lives
Dave, Thanks for your help. We've been going to Cabo for 12 years but have only stayed in that area S of LaPaz and Todos.

Does this make sense? On our first day with a car, drive straight to San Ignacio (how far/how many hours/what route), spend 2 days there, then slowly work our way back down the coast; arriving in time for our 3rd week in Los Cabos..and what might be nice towns to stop in? We won't have a 4 wheeler and need reasonable roads. Is crime much of an issue in that area. I just read an article about Ensenada that brought up this issue.

Thanks again for all your help

For those of us who live in BCS, we don't think the crime is all that bad or we would probably live somewhere else. Spend a night at the Hotel Frances in Santa Roslia and then go out and walk around the town in the evening. This is a true Mexican town and you won't be overrun with gringos who somehow seem to take over everything from restaurants to shops. There is a french bakery in town called the El Boleo which makes great treats that need to be experienced along with a hot dog stand that is caddy cornered to the Church that was designed by the same Eiffel that built the famous Eiffel Tower in France. Walk along the malecon and see the black beach that was created by the mine byproducts and if you can ignore the trash and plastic, might look a little like the same black beaches in Hawaii. Then about the time that your pulse and heartbeat have started to slow and you think you may be ready for more head south to Mulege and explore it the same way for a couple of days. Loreto will need a couple of days to get the feel of what goes on but there are some great sights and experiences to be had there. I am probably a little hard core but I have had a lot of great times in Constitucion but it is a farming community and you would only want to find the gems if you had more time, head for La Paz.

David K - 12-26-2007 at 06:19 PM

I would go to Loreto in one day... all the way to San Ignacio could just wear you out too soon. The highway between Santa Rosalia and San Ignacio is dangerous, steep, etc.

Spend a day or two in Mulege... just relax.