BajaNomad

Fast day trip

Vince - 12-30-2007 at 08:02 PM

We left Coronado @ 10 AM today for a leisurly trip to Ensenada with some shopping along the way in Rosarito. It was a beautiful day with a bit of a haze, slightly cool wind. The roads were not crowded except in Rosarito. There were quite a few police cars around but no problems. Stopped at Hussong's for a beer and Mariachi music. It really hadn't changed since we started going there in the mid '50's for Cinco de Mayo and Newport to Ensenada races. Had a nice lunch at Tortuga's. Did some shopping and drove home. The best part of the day was the SENTRI lanes. Armed with our new and unused cards, we had to wait about 3-4 minutes for one car and we were thru the line. The other line must have been 1 1/2 hours long. The SENTRI lines were easy to find, well marked if you stay to the right (east) as much as possible. We came up the libre road from Rosarito which was easy. We have avoided northern Baja because of the line, now we won't. We were home in less than 2 hours from Ensenada.

DENNIS - 12-30-2007 at 08:50 PM

Great story. It's been a long time since I've heard that a day-trip from the states to Ensenada and back could be so enjoyable.

Hussongs has kept a lot of it's ambience through the years. It's still loaded with fun memories. Prices have gone up just a bit:lol: but who cares. I don't live in the place. The parking lot out back is convenient, the heads have been improved and life is good.

Von - 12-30-2007 at 09:03 PM

You should go when theres a Baja 500 or 1000 contingency its hell a FUN! in one day you come and go...

fdt - 12-30-2007 at 09:54 PM

Great to hear you had fun, I always have fun on my one day trips to Ensenada and usualy find time to visit with friends also. I am also glad to hear you took the free road and you found Sentri with ease, youre a great example of Baja Nomad Gold ;D

[Edited on 12-31-2007 by fdt]

bajadock - 12-31-2007 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for report Vince. Lots of negative press, deservedly, about Tijuana/Rosarito/Ensenada. Still many wonderful areas to explore and enjoy.

....from another free road dittohead.

bajadedom - 12-31-2007 at 10:28 AM

Nice to hear a positive account of TJ - Ensenada for a change.....