BajaNomad

malcolm smith trail

honda tom - 1-2-2008 at 10:24 AM

does anyone know if the malcolm smith trail south of san francisquito to santa marta is passable again. I remember the report after the hurricane of the guys spending the night on it, and was wondering if anybody tried it lately.

David K - 1-2-2008 at 10:28 AM

I also heard the same... but that was a while back... An email to Kacey Smith or Kevin Ward may provide an answer... I will let you know if they respond! Happy New Year!

honda tom - 1-2-2008 at 10:32 AM

thanks david. plan on taking a group through before the 250 in march. much more fun than the road out toward el arco.

David K - 1-2-2008 at 10:59 AM

I sent both emails, and Kacey's server sent back a note that she was in Baja for 12 more days.

Will let you know...

bent-rim - 1-2-2008 at 03:47 PM

Two years ago I spoke to Gennero(sp), before he passed away, at San Francisquito and he told me the route was open but that you have to go further west down an arroyo than you used to. He pointed it out to me on map he had hanging, his sons would probably be able to tell you the route. I did the route in 2000 and it was a work out.

cpg - 1-4-2008 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim
Two years ago I spoke to Gennero(sp), before he passed away, at San Francisquito and he told me the route was open but that you have to go further west down an arroyo than you used to. He pointed it out to me on map he had hanging, his sons would probably be able to tell you the route. I did the route in 2000 and it was a work out.

I was on the route the old one is washed out and you do have to go west in the riverbe to catch the new route. The new one goes all the way to Los Corralles. Last July 06 I saw Kacey in San Fransiquito and they drove up from Loreto via El Arco in her van and I do not think they rode the Malcom trail.

Barry A. - 1-4-2008 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpg
Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim

I was on the route the old one is washed out and you do have to go west in the riverbe to catch the new route. The new one goes all the way to Los Corralles. Last July 06 I saw Kacey in San Fransiquito and they drove up from Loreto via El Arco in her van and I do not think they rode the Malcom trail.

Pardon me, but you guys are being awfully vague-----is the wash/stream/arroyo that you go west in to "catch the new route" north or south of Los Corrales?

------and can you get to Los Corrales (as indicated on the map), in your opinion, from the north in a good 4x4 vehicle?

Thanks, Barry

bent-rim - 1-4-2008 at 05:12 PM

I'm only vague because it was a while ago. Gennerro's sons would be the ones to ask. He showed me the route on a map hanging on the wall in the restaurant. Also I think one person's arroyo can be another person's riverbed so we're probably referring to the same location.

I've only talked to people who've done the route on dirt bikes. I have no idea about 4WD.

[Edited on 1-5-2008 by bent-rim]

cpg - 1-4-2008 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
[
Pardon me, but you guys are being awfully vague-----is the wash/stream/arroyo that you go west in to "catch the new route" north or south of Los Corrales?

------and can you get to Los Corrales (as indicated on the map), in your opinion, from the north in a good 4x4 vehicle?

Thanks, Barry
South to Los Corrales

Yes you can get there in a 4x4 now. If you have a Baja Almanac it is not correct any longer.

Look to the right you will see the old track it is washed out in many places
[Edited on 1-5-2008 by cpg]

los.jpg - 35kB

cpg - 1-4-2008 at 06:03 PM

The old way is the wash to the right

los 3.jpg - 30kB

Reply from Kacey Smith (Baja GPS Guide)

David K - 1-5-2008 at 07:14 PM

"yeah, it's open, but different than before. you have to take a new road out and back to the old trail close to san miguel. then the rest is almost the same. there is a new road cut down by the beach and through the canyon. it's rough, but not bad (unfortunate for us dirt bikers though). have funsmiles,kc"

honda tom - 1-7-2008 at 12:00 AM

if remember right the problem the guys had a few years back was the area between el gato and la trinidad,(15 miles south of los corrales).

the trail used to be:
san fran to los corrales (rough road pick up ok)

corrales to punta trinidad ( pick your own way down the beach, bikes quad only)

trinidad to el gato (huge wash, bike quad)

el gato santa marta (rough road pick up ok)

cpg - 1-7-2008 at 10:27 AM

Who wants to go down and give it a try? I will take my XR 600

David K - 1-7-2008 at 12:10 PM

A fresh report with GPS waypoints would be great! What a great shortcut from San Francisquito to Santa Rosalia/ San Ignacio IF it was wide enough a trail for my Tacoma!

cpg - 1-8-2008 at 11:24 AM

I think it may not be doable with a quad. I would like to try next time down there on the bike.

honda tom - 1-10-2008 at 11:23 AM

CPG ive been going back and forth from the almanac and google earth shots and your post shots. it looks like a run down a different wash then cut back to the east to san miguel.

the "cut back to the east" to san miguel ... do you have the route "pinned". was this something you "pinned"? or is this from someone that recently did the route?

the last time i rode this i took the almanac route to san miguel. from what im gettin back... everything is close to the same from there. it is a great ride!

Our trip is the week before the 250, around the 7th thru 13th gonzaga-coco-bola-sf-san ignacio-some pacific stuff-back to gonzaga then san felipe for the race. you and your xr are more than welcome.

cpg - 1-18-2008 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by honda tom
CPG ive been going back and forth from the almanac and google earth shots and your post shots. it looks like a run down a different wash then cut back to the east to san miguel.

the "cut back to the east" to san miguel ... do you have the route "pinned". was this something you "pinned"? or is this from someone that recently did the route?

the last time i rode this i took the almanac route to san miguel. from what im gettin back... everything is close to the same from there. it is a great ride!

Our trip is the week before the 250, around the 7th thru 13th gonzaga-coco-bola-sf-san ignacio-some pacific stuff-back to gonzaga then san felipe for the race. you and your xr are more than welcome.

The route is what I have pinned. No problem to Los Corrales after that is unknown. Just follow the new trail. What month is the 250? Where are you hoping on the bikes?

honda tom - 1-18-2008 at 02:37 PM

March 14 15 is the sf 250. the 14th is tec inspection the 15th is the race.

we start in san felipe on the 9th or 10th

return to san felipe the 14th