BajaNomad

Highly Recommended Taco Stand

Bob H - 3-30-2004 at 12:28 PM

Last weekend we went down to Ensenada (we stay in Cibola del Mar just North of town). When going past El Sauzal on the way into Ensenada we always (I mean always) stop at Taqueria El Jalisciense for her fabulous shrimp tacos. The stand is located on the East side of the road just as you pass under the white walkover stairs (with yellow railing). She and her family have been at that location for years! See photos.
Bob H:lol:

Bob H - 3-30-2004 at 12:28 PM

Bob H - 3-30-2004 at 12:29 PM

Bob H - 3-30-2004 at 12:31 PM

Bob H - 3-30-2004 at 12:33 PM

David K - 3-30-2004 at 05:46 PM

You are making me hungry, Bob!!!:yes::yes::yes:

Bob H - 3-31-2004 at 08:18 AM

She has the most fantastic batter mixed up for her fish tacos (or shrimp) that you have ever tasted!
Bob H

4baja - 3-31-2004 at 07:21 PM

we stop at the one next to the produce stand, outstanding adobada tacos and carna asada with all the fixings you can stand>:coolup:

Pops - 3-31-2004 at 07:33 PM

O.K. I give. What is a "BE-LIGHT" on the menu?

[Edited on 4-1-2004 by Pops]

Pescador - 3-31-2004 at 07:55 PM

Be-Light is a Kool-aid kinda drink that is sold in Mexico. Some of the flavors are really great. They also have C-Light.
The batter is made from a powder mix made by Knorr company and is sold in a lot of stores in Mexico. We always bring a few bags home with us. It is called Capeador and subtititled Mezcla en polvo
The new bags are yellow and white and show a batch of shrimp fried on the cover. I think it comes in 1 KG and 1/2 KG packages.

Me No - 3-31-2004 at 07:59 PM

Yes! A very good stretch of stands in that area. Don't try and get Birria on a Sunday at 7am though. The one stand there was closed when I needed it two weeks ago. Pics to follow.:saint:

elgatoloco - 3-31-2004 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
we stop at the one next to the produce stand, outstanding adobada tacos and carna asada with all the fixings you can stand>:coolup:

El Trailero or something like that-excellent tortas indeed :bounce:

elgatoloco - 3-31-2004 at 08:43 PM

Bob H

We will be going to Ensenada next week for the day and can't wait to try the shrimp tacos!!

elgatoloco - 3-31-2004 at 08:47 PM

Me No

We FINALLY got a chance to experience the gastronomic wonder that is the 'huarache' while heading down to the Baja Bash a couple week ends ago. Thanks for that tip. I had printed out a post from WAY back on Amigo's and we have driven thru Maneadero 20 times since then but the timing was always wrong. Can't wait to go back!!

Thanks again!!!
:)

Great Fish Tacos

BajaRick - 4-1-2004 at 08:53 AM

BH'r
That tacos stand is great, unfortunately it's located caddy corner to the El Sauzal Police Station. Make sure to stop at all stop signs!

bajarick

[Edited on 4-1-2004 by BajaRick]

Bob H - 4-1-2004 at 09:01 AM

Hola Baja Rick. A long time buddy of mine and one heck of a friend. We were both at the taco stand and here's proof! Baja Rick is also responsible for introducing me to c-ckteleria Mazatlan and their fantastic Almejas al Carbon dish. A big GRACIAS to Baja Rick.
Bob H :lol:

Me No - 4-1-2004 at 02:09 PM

Elgato, I bet after having one you don't drive by many more times without stopping.:lol: That is also a stretch with a nice bunch of stands.

DanO - 4-1-2004 at 04:41 PM

EGL is correct -- El Trailero next to the produce stand has great tortas. However, I must say that the fish and shrimp tacos at La Floresta in town are the best I've ever had.

elgatoloco - 4-1-2004 at 06:56 PM

Me No You got that right! We are planning a day trip to paddle the rock gardens in our yaks and we WILL include a stop for more!!

Have you ever had a perone at Yaqui Taco in Rosarito Beach?? Soft flour tortilla with melted jack cheese, marinated carne asada cooked over a wood fire topped with frijoles de olla, pico de gallo, guacamole and served with roasted jalapenos on the side. BYOB and they provide the cup. :cool:

DanO

Where do we find La Floresta?? :coolup:

Bob H - 4-2-2004 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Me No

We FINALLY got a chance to experience the gastronomic wonder that is the 'huarache' while heading down to the Baja Bash a couple week ends ago. Thanks for that tip.
:)

Matt, tell me more! We are leaving on April 10th for two weeks down that-a-way. Bob H

DanO - 4-2-2004 at 11:37 AM

La Floresta is on the north side of Ave. Floresta (coincidence?) just west of the intersection with Ave. Juarez.

Drool...Drool

bajabum - 4-2-2004 at 11:39 AM

Another good taco stand is "El Pique" next door to the government housing project just before the military base heading south twords maneadero. Awesome Adobada tacos and tortas.

Bob H - 4-2-2004 at 11:52 AM

OK Elgatoloco... I could not wait any longer to find out about what a "gastronomic wonder Huarache" is. I found this article that explains it.

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2000-06-29/cafe.html

Where can you get these in Ensenada? Sounds GREAT!
Bob H

elgatoloco - 4-2-2004 at 01:03 PM

We ate them at the place that Me No told us about. Heading south you pass the turnoff to La Buf and head into heart of maneadero shortly the roadway will go from four lanes wide to two lanes wide right there on the right after the stoplight you will see El Recreo, pull over and make sure you are hungry!! The Huaraches are HUGE!!

Have Fun!!!!

The cat is out of the bag!

Me No - 4-2-2004 at 03:21 PM

Ouch! GATO! I can see it now, instead of all the gringos parking across the street while, I sit and enjoy my Huarache chuckling, I will now have to wade through them. Oh well, Tacos el Poblano is good too(across the street) just not as good. The worst part, no HUARACHES! :biggrin:

Bob H - 4-4-2004 at 10:51 AM

I must stop by for those huaraches for sure. Even if I am not hungry, I want to taste them (can reheat later, huh?).
Bob H ;D

elgatoloco - 4-4-2004 at 02:04 PM

Me No
I know I should have kept my big mouth shut, but I'm TOO easy when I'm "salivatin' like a pavlov dog":P. My hope is that all the new business will faciltate an expansion?:cool: I hope to see you there this summer! The first Huarache is on me!!
:biggrin:

Bob H
It has been against my better judgement to do anything but scarf down what ever it is on site when visiting the various culinary establishments bejewling the vast territory that is the the incredible peninsula that we all love to spend time exploring whenever and however we might find ourselves......what was the question?? Oh yea! I do not think the Huarache would be as good when heated as it is made on a slightly crisp 'fried' tortilla. But let us know what your observations are!!;):lol::):D:cool::o:light::saint:
HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!

4baja - 4-5-2004 at 07:18 AM

bajabum is right on, el pique is awsome and has great outfront parking for your truck and trailler. we stop there everytime we head south and gorge ourselfs. will be there this friday.:coolup:

Me No - 4-5-2004 at 10:18 AM

Heading out tomorrow to my new house in Punta Estero. :lol: Stop on by and say hi. Everyone is welcome.***************************************************************************

[Edited on 5-4-2004 by M]

Headed SOUTH tomorrow!

Bob H - 4-9-2004 at 07:47 AM

for 16 days!! Now, with all these places to eat.... which one to I choose... and then I read about Yaques in Rosarito Beach. Oh well, with 16 days I can try a lot. Will be spending most of the time in the Mulege area. I hope this day goes by fast because I am READY!
Viva Baja:lol:
Bob H:spingrin:

elgatoloco - 4-9-2004 at 08:27 AM

16 Days!!!

You lucky son of a gun!

If you are like me you when we are headin 'deep' you will probably be doing 80 on the toll road when you pass thru Rosarito! :biggrin:
Yaqui will still be there upon your return! In fact it is the PERFECT last stop before you head back to reality!:lol:

Have Fun and take a photo or two!!

Mateo

elgatoloco - 4-9-2004 at 08:30 AM

Barb and I are heading down for the weekend in awhile.

We will be having lunch today at Taqueria El Jalisciense!! :bounce:

Can't wait to try it!

Bob H - 4-9-2004 at 09:17 AM

Please tell Maria you saw her on the internet - photo's from Bob... her English is non-existant but she seems to understand. The Shrimp Tacos are very tasty and her "fixin's" are always fresh. she will put two nice size shrimp in each small tortilla. Try some onions on there too!
I want one right now!
Bob H

Bob H. Knows his tacos

Baja Rhino - 4-12-2004 at 10:08 AM

My girlfriend and I stopped here on Sat.
Morning the 10th and I must say these Fish and Shrimp tacos were out of this world!!! There green sauce was fantastic
as well Please everyone who loves fish&shrimp tacos stop and check them out. Also another favorite of mine is in Cantamar Tacos Cantamar really good but a little bit more money.

elgatoloco - 4-12-2004 at 10:15 AM

Tacos Cantamar

We like there Relleno de Jaiva tacos when they have them. Very unique and tasty!

Me No - 4-12-2004 at 04:55 PM

Both Bob H and 4baja are right on. Tried both stands, excellent goods. Still moving into my new place, and will report when I return.:biggrin:

Bob H - 4-25-2004 at 03:11 PM

I am very happy that everyone who has stopped by for these outstanding fish and shrimp tacos has enjoyed them. I'm sure the increase in business makes them happy also.
Gracias, Bob H :yes:

Tacos Don Blas in San Carlos (highly rated *****)

RandyMacSC/SO - 4-25-2004 at 05:52 PM

When I was in San Carlos for 10 days I ate at Tacos Don Blas next to the police station and el centro. It is very popular with locals and visitors.

The owner is a real nice guy and the food is incredible for the price. He uses high quality prime cut grade AA Beef that he imports in to make his tacos etc.

RandyMac

:spingrin: