BajaNomad

Where Did All The Corn Tortillas Go?

bajabound2005 - 1-7-2008 at 02:38 PM

Just returned from Maneadero where we stopped at El Poblano for a couple of their great tacos. No corn tortillas, only flour.

Stopped at the Fruteria where there was a man looking for corn tortillas. "Sorry only flour", says the proprietor. I said, "Hey, there were no corn tortillas at the taqueria!"; then they realized there must be a boycott on corn due to the increased prices.

This better end soon, how will FDT and Bajamigo make their tamales for Feb 2?

DENNIS - 1-7-2008 at 02:43 PM

Used all the Masa for Tres Reyes Tamales.

Cypress - 1-7-2008 at 03:30 PM

I ate 'em.:D

DENNIS - 1-7-2008 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A

Do you feel guilty about causing a corn shortage?

Just a little bit guilty but, those Tamales were good.
Thanks Gene.

Ethanol ?

MrBillM - 1-7-2008 at 04:51 PM

Since Mexico imports the corn for their tortillas from the U.S., a shortage was forecast as the Ethanol subsidies divert corn from the food supply.

DENNIS - 1-7-2008 at 04:54 PM

Maybe we should be trading corn for oil, or do we already do that?

bajaguy - 1-7-2008 at 04:57 PM

I hate oily corn....thats why I always order flour tortillas

Oso - 1-7-2008 at 06:27 PM

In your gas tank.:lol:

BMG - 1-7-2008 at 07:06 PM

One of the costs of going 'green'?

bajabound2005 - 1-7-2008 at 07:15 PM

well, the last thing I read had to do with NAFTA and as of Jan 1 the price protection for the Mexican farmers was gone...and they were afraid of the influx of "cheap corn from the US" hurting the Mexican corn farmers. Would love to know if the rest of Baja is experiencing tortilla shortages...and what it looks like tomorrow if the run on masa was just because of El Dia de Los Reyes....or if someone just ATE them all as claimed on an earlier post!

[Edited on 1-8-2008 by bajabound2005]

bajamigo - 1-7-2008 at 07:16 PM

If only I could have seen that chart in September...

DENNIS - 1-7-2008 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
well, the last thing I read had to do with NAFTA and as of Jan 1 the price protection for the Mexican farmers was gone...and they were afraid of the influx of "cheap corn from the US" hurting the Mexican corn farmers.

Mexico had fifteen years to adjust for this but, didn't.

bajadedom - 1-7-2008 at 08:29 PM

Corn grown in Mexico should stay in Mexico....and its use be prioritized in this order:
1- tortillas
2- corn oil to fry tortillas
3- corn fed pigs for carnita meat
4- carnitas made from corn fed pigs and tortillas
5- corny gringo's who love cornitas
" if you build cornitas , they will come" - a comment overheard at Del Borachos......after carnitas and Tecates..........can't I have some fun?

BAJACAT - 1-7-2008 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
Just returned from Maneadero where we stopped at El Poblano for a couple of their great tacos. No corn tortillas, only flour.

Stopped at the Fruteria where there was a man looking for corn tortillas. "Sorry only flour", says the proprietor. I said, "Hey, there were no corn tortillas at the taqueria!"; then they realized there must be a boycott on corn due to the increased prices.

This better end soon, how will FDT and Bajamigo make their tamales for Feb 2?
They can make quesadillas instated,mine with no chesse...

bajabound2005 - 1-7-2008 at 08:33 PM

So what you mean in #5 and #66 is cArnitas; not cOrnitas? Oh, and gringos in #5 is plural not possessive, so no apostrophe.

DENNIS - 1-7-2008 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT

Gato......How do you make a quesadilla without cheese?

bajadedom - 1-7-2008 at 08:50 PM

Warm a tortilla Dennis, and hold the cheese, of course. Call it a Fill-less dilla! :lol:

BAJACAT - 1-7-2008 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Gato......How do you make a quesadilla without cheese?
Sorry i meant to say no American chesse.you see here in the San Diego if I ask for a quesadilla they make it with that mix chesse half american,half monterrey jack,I only like my quesadillas w/monterrey jack only...

bajabound2005 - 1-7-2008 at 09:28 PM

Monday Night TV is really bad, isn't it???

BAJACAT - 1-7-2008 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Monday Night TV is really bad, isn't it???
I know Im watching true tv Im waiting for CSI Miami..

fdt - 1-7-2008 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
I only like my quesadillas w/monterrey jack only...

No manches vato, it's the same thing, Monterey jack is a California cheese, first made by Franciscanos at Monterey CA in the 1800's and comercialized by a man named David Jack and it was just Jack's Cheese then, it has since morphed to Monterey Jack (Monterey spelled with one "r" only since it's in english) and of course there are others by jack like Colby Jack, Dry jack or Peper Jack.
Real quesadillas must be made with Chihuahua, Asadero or Oaxaca, Oaxaca beeing prefered. Queso de hebras (shread cheese)

Al G - 1-7-2008 at 11:58 PM

Never a lack of education on this board...:lol:
Thanks Fdt.

BAJACAT - 1-8-2008 at 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
I only like my quesadillas w/monterrey jack only...

No manches vato, it's the same thing, Monterey jack is a California cheese, first made by Franciscanos at Monterey CA in the 1800's and comercialized by a man named David Jack and it was just Jack's Cheese then, it has since morphed to Monterey Jack (Monterey spelled with one "r" only since it's in english) and of course there are others by jack like Colby Jack, Dry jack or Peper Jack.
Real quesadillas must be made with Chihuahua, Asadero or Oaxaca, Oaxaca beeing prefered. Queso de hebras (shread cheese)
Im mexican so I spell it with two rr's:lol::lol::lol::lol:

fdt - 1-8-2008 at 07:02 AM

Rapido ruedan las ruedas del ferrrocarril :lol:

surfer jim - 1-8-2008 at 09:29 AM

With the WRITERS STRIKE going on maybe some of you can fill in for a while.....;)