BajaNomad

New 4 Lane HWY. to Otay avoids Rosarito / TJ.

djh - 1-12-2008 at 10:27 AM

1/6 I avoided Rosarito and TJ as much as possible when I drove to SD. I took that new Rosarito to Otay Mesa Bypass 4-lane divided highway that heads inland just N. or Pureto Nuevo / S. of Fox Studios:

FROM the SOUTH:

Get off the TOLL ROAD at the Puerto Nuevo exit
Continue N. on the FREE road.
at 34.5 KM:
Turn RIGHT (there is construction going on there, so you may not see the 34.5 marker or the "CORREDOR" sign marking the turn. You'll go back under the toll road and then turn left.

You'll be on this new divided highway that goes 22 miles. The first 17 miles seemed deserted (especially the day after those rains of 1/4 & 5). As you go around the perimiter of TJ, there is some local traffic.

This new road ends at the TJ - Mexicali (2D) toll road. you need to take the "San Diego Ramp" (putting you westbound on Industrian Blvd. Continue west for 4 miles. When you see the McDonalds (and the second Pemex) get into the right lane and turn right at the sign "Garita Otay"... taking you right to the border wait lines.

While this new route is not perfect, it was MUCH better than screwing around in local TJ.

Good Luck!
djh

David K - 1-12-2008 at 10:38 AM

Please see my road log and photos from May, '07 as well: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24396

Cypress - 1-12-2008 at 10:40 AM

djh, Thanks for the information.:D

Cypress, David

djh - 1-12-2008 at 09:12 PM

Cypress,

You up here shovelling snow with us or are you down south?

I was in Loreto for Thxgvg. and for 9 days after Christmas, and I'm wishing I had more time in the sun!!

David K.,

I guess I toally missed your earlier (and much better, especially with all those great photos) post about the new road. Good job!

Feliz Ano Nuevo, amigos!
djh

David K - 1-13-2008 at 12:01 AM

The more, the better djh... New Nomads all the time, who haven't seen the earlier stuff!

bajaguy - 1-13-2008 at 07:55 AM

Otay is even better with the SENTRI lanes.........

marv sherrill - 1-13-2008 at 07:51 PM

Bajaguy - coming from the new road in - how do you find the Sentri lane- I'm going for my interview on Tues AM - can't wait to avoid TJ forever - thanks - Marv

bajaguy - 1-14-2008 at 10:15 AM

Marv.......as you proceed westbound on "Industrial Blvd" from Blvd 2000, first you will pass under the "Panasonic" bridge. You will then come to a road construction detour. Turn right at the detour and proceed about 4 blocks straight ahead to a large 4 lane road (stoplight) in the busness district. The name of this street should be Bella Artes. Turn left on Bella Artes, get into the right lane.

As you approach the bridge/underpass (that carries the regular traffic to the crossing, there is a car wash on your right side on the corner of Bella Artes. Turn right JUST BEFORE the car wash. This will put you in the SENTRI lane. Last time I was there, there was a large green overhead "SENTRI" sign.

NOTE: The are two streets by the car wash, take the one that looks like the entrance to the car wash. Even if you get into the carwash, it's an easy exit to the SENTRI lane.

marv sherrill - 1-14-2008 at 02:42 PM

much thanks - Marv

Slowmad - 1-14-2008 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The more, the better djh... New Nomads all the time, who haven't seen the earlier stuff!

Thus the "search" function. ;)

Still semi-diggin' Blvd. 2000.
(Except when the Maquilas let out from 3-6 PM).

Woooosh - 1-14-2008 at 07:04 PM

The new Blvd 2000 is NOT to be driven at night. Do not stop for any roadblocks. Only the black and white federal police have authority on it. From the Fox/Baja Studios in Rosarito Beach it will take you about 15 miles to the toll booth entry for the Cuota to Tecate. You then veer left and backtrack to the Otay Mesa crossing. It's not any shorter timewise as it takes you on a long loop around the hills. It is a very beautiful drive though- just don't risk it after dark.

[Edited on 1-15-2008 by Woooosh]

CaboRon - 1-25-2008 at 08:25 PM

You probably shouldn't be driving anywhere at night in Mexico, should you?

CaboRon