BajaNomad

San Pablo Lobster Pig Out

shari - 1-13-2008 at 10:43 AM

The road to San Pablo was just graded which is a great excuse to go visit this very remote fish camp. We took a couple of spear fishermen who unfortunately didn't even see a yellowtail that day..the water has chilled to 62 degrees and the fish moved south a bit. So we loaded up with ballenas, tortillas and salsa and bombed out to SAn Pablo which is a breathtaking road. Our amigos Chi Chi and Fidel treated us all to a huge pot of boiled lobster. They LOVE getting visitors which is very rare as the camp is protected by a big steel gate to prevent poachers from entering. It was a super fun evening of cultural immersion!

IMG_6423.JPG - 39kB

shari - 1-13-2008 at 10:45 AM

San Pablo is a famous yellow tail area...in the background is Cero Plomo...one of the most popular spearfishing reefs. San Pablo is a small camp perched like an eagle's nest on a cliff...cool spot!

IMG_6425.JPG - 21kB

Santiago - 1-13-2008 at 11:52 AM

Shari: is the gate you're refering to just passed the launching spot in San Roque? My wife and I walked around the gate and down to the rocky point. Forgive my ignorance, but how does the gate stop poaching? wouldn't poachers go by boat anyway?

Bajaboy - 1-13-2008 at 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Shari: is the gate you're refering to just passed the launching spot in San Roque? My wife and I walked around the gate and down to the rocky point. Forgive my ignorance, but how does the gate stop poaching? wouldn't poachers go by boat anyway?

No-San Pablo is on the next Bay to the north. As you enter the fish camp, you drive down an arroyo. There is a gate at the top of the arroyo. A number of the roads between Asuncion and Tortugas have these gates.

Zac

[Edited on 1-13-2008 by Bajaboy]

[Edited on 1-13-2008 by Bajaboy]

Paulina - 1-13-2008 at 12:40 PM

Is the point you see behind the man on the right San Roque?

Santiago, Dern and I also wondered where that road behind the locked gate went.

P<*)))><

Bajaboy - 1-13-2008 at 01:46 PM

Yes, just around the point. The road with the locked gate at San Roque is used by the vigilancia. From my experiences, if you ask the vigilancia for permission, they will allow unlock the gates for you and allow access.

Zac

shari - 1-14-2008 at 08:52 AM

Th locked gates keep out poachers who go in by truck to get abalone off the rocks. You can arrange with the vigilancia to open them to camp in remote areas. One should always advise the vigilancia you will be camping or diving/fishing in their area. The vigilancia patrol 24/7 by trucks and pangas all along this coast which makes it very safe for campers...it's comforting to know they are close by and monitoring traffic...keeps the bad guys away! We are off to San Pablo again today with our canadian guests so they can experience "All you can eat LObster!" The gate at San Roque protects that next bay up...it's a neat road along the water.

wilderone - 1-17-2008 at 10:17 AM

" You can arrange with the vigilancia to open them to camp in remote areas. One should always advise the vigilancia you will be camping or diving/fishing in their area. "

Shari, how do you do that? Just wait until one comes along? Or inquire until you find [who/what?] ??

Bob H - 1-17-2008 at 12:11 PM

Jeeze.... did you have enough lobsters for everyone? WOW! You must have had a great time... thanks for sharing this. Bob H