BajaNomad

cabo pulmo charter recomendation

nojmanloo - 1-16-2008 at 08:11 PM

Hey

Heading down to Cabo pulmo early Feb and I'm so excited to get the chance to take a day for fishing. I spend my summers on Lake Michigan on my boat catching Salmon and would love recommendatons for a charter in the cabo Pulmo area.

Charter would be for my wife and I plus another couple. Will be there Feb 9-14 and thinking 11th or 12th. Plus I would love some advice or help with the shore fishing.

Thanks to everybody on this great site - and if anybody is in the Michigan area in the spring summer or fall months I'd be happy to take them out on my 30' trojan for some awesome salmon fishing!

We will have a car so I can drive where needed for a charter.
jon

[Edited on 1-17-2008 by nojmanloo]

bajadave1 - 1-17-2008 at 07:34 AM

Sorry to tell you this, but no fishing is allowed in Cabo Pulmo. you can fish nearby, from Los Barriles, or their is a dive service that does day trips

bajajudy - 1-17-2008 at 07:44 AM

Shore fishing can be done in Los Frailes, just south of Cabo Pulmo and anywhere north of the reserve.

Pulmo

Cardon Man - 1-17-2008 at 08:37 AM

While it is true there is no fishing in the park I'm pretty sure the Castro family does indeed do panga fishing trips out of Cabo Pulmo. I know friends who have fished with them as recentlyas last year. I have no idea how to connect with them other than get into town and ask around. Won't take long to find them! I've heard they have 3 pangas. In February you probably won't need a reservation. Get lucky with the wind and you should have a fun day.

Next option is Punta colorada hotel which is about 35 minutes north of Cabo Pulmo.

kodiak - 1-17-2008 at 09:24 AM

I was fishing there on the Awesome boat from East Cape campground yesterday. Caught 7 VERY nice sierra...and a bunch of Bonita. Got pictures and even a few short videos that I will post on my travel journal later today.

We actually caught more sierra in front of La Ribera than Cabo Pulmo...FYI.:yes:

nojmanloo - 1-17-2008 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadave1
Sorry to tell you this, but no fishing is allowed in Cabo Pulmo. you can fish nearby, from Los Barriles, or their is a dive service that does day trips

I realize that, I will have a vehicle so I was hoping for information or recommendations on charters in either Los Barriles or La Ribera or possible some other accessible location.

Thanks

Cardon Man - 1-17-2008 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nojmanloo
I realize that, I will have a vehicle so I was hoping for information or recommendations on charters in either Los Barriles or La Ribera or possible some other accessible location.

Thanks

In that case...I'd highly reccomend the 31' Innovator JEN WREN based out of Buenavista. Check it out at www.vistaseasport.com . A little more expensive than the hotel cruisers but it's well worth it. Great crew and top of the line gear. Perfect for your group of four.

luckyman - 1-17-2008 at 11:55 PM

if you want to reach someone in la ribera, i have a couple of friends who have superpangas who live there and launch off the beach in front of town. u2u me if you would like their contact info.; they fish for the hotels regularly. both are excellent guides, but they may not be up for a run all the way to pulmo this time of the year as the winds make the run back pretty bad and not terribly safe.
you may be better off taking a panga out of cabo pulmo and making the quick run outside the park boundaries (perhaps to frailes) for some sierra. frailes is relatively sheltered from the winds and is outside the park boundary, plus it's a beautiful spot.

cabo pulmo fishing

mulegemichael - 1-18-2008 at 04:54 PM

Stay at hotel Punta Colorada just north of Cabo Pulmo...there's great fishing right outside your room at greylight for sierra or you can drive over to the lighthouse at Punta Arena for a mixed bag...a nice fleet operates out of there and they can and will get you to the fish if they're there...ask for the jefe, Alejandro, at the hotel and he will take fine care of you...tell him his amigo, michael, sent you...krockadile spoons in chrome or deep stingers off the beach or hoochies trolled fast from a boat will fill the box with sierra